when i play my strings are loose.. i use light guage d'addario strings and im not sure what the problem is... is it how i string the guitar (improperly?) or something else? answers appreciated
You could be tuned down lower than E standard. Light guage d'addario strings I think are .09 strings, so they are thin...

Not sure what else the problem could be.
tight strings:

1. up the string gauge
2. get a baritone
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
If you're playin in standard and they're still really loose to you, maybe you should try some .10s. I know .09s are too thin for me
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
yeah.. well i did try medium gauge and it pulled the bridge off of my guitar like... an inch. and it is tuned to standard E tuning. to be honest im not really sure how to string either. i put it through the hole leave some slack then wind.. thats all i do when i restring
Quote by chikinskratch
yeah.. well i did try medium gauge and it pulled the bridge off of my guitar like... an inch. and it is tuned to standard E tuning. to be honest im not really sure how to string either. i put it through the hole leave some slack then wind.. thats all i do when i restring

When you change string gauges, you have to adjust the spring tension on the tremolo.

Increase String Guage - Tighten Springs
Decrease String Guage - Loosen Springs

On the back side of the guitar, remove the plate that covers the tremolo cavity. should have probably 6 screws.

You'll see a little claw shaped thing screwed into the body with 2 big screws. And either 2 or 3 springs attached to the claws hooks.
Those counterbalance the tension of the strings.
That's what makes the tremolo return to natural position after you move it with the wammy bar.
Tighten or loosen those screws as needed.

I recommend turning Each screw 1/2 turn at a time (equally, half turn each), retune strings after each adjustment.
If you are TIGHTENING the screws, loosen the strings a little bit first.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 29, 2009,
I assume your schecter has a Floyd Rose bridge? You need to adjust the springs in the back when you put heavier strings on. If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to a tech and ask him if he can show you what to do, although, it is not very hard to do.

Edit: There is a Floyd Rose setup guide thread at the top of this forum.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by nickdohle
Youtube how to change strings on a floyd and grab some .10s.

lrn2read b4 posting kthxbai
Quote by azn_guitarist25
lrn2read b4 posting kthxbai

Uz a bitch.....

I offered the Youtube thing because he said he didnt know how to change the strings and sometimes its easier watching and hearing it than reading it. The 10s prolly had been overstated though... Damn..