Page 1 of 2
I remember there being a thread just like this and I was searching for it but it was gone so I figured why not make a new on?

Well what is the hardest/most recent solo you can play? And by most recent I mean the one that you may have just worked on or learned. Then after you list that, look up to the above user's post and rate the song's solo. If you haven't heard it, look it up on youtube!!
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Hardest? Probably the two slower solos at the beginning of One, by Metallica. I'm still a bit of a newbie, and can't play the faster solos.

Recently I'm working on the Sunshine of your Love solo. It's beautiful, and I'm trying to get the timing and bends and emotion just right.

Rating: I love the Freebird solo! It's very long, but it sounds amazing. The song's a classic for a reason.
I started soloing about six months ago, until then I never tried. But I recently figured out a few, the hardest is up to debate. Ive been improvising on stage for a few months, and after a while, they all sounded the same, so I decided to learn some, to help me grow, its working.

Blood to Bleed - Rise Against
Beverly Hills - Weezer
Ohio - CSNY
Still working on the intro to Little Wing

Solos are tough, but great practice.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
EDIT: To Red Coment:
Yeah thats where I started too, on the One solos. The final solo is pretty easy, it's just tapping then a few bends and a walk down. I think if you practice it you'll get it

I just got the Beast and the Harlot (Avenged Sevenfold) solo down. All those little chromatic runs messed me up for a bit, I'm not used to putting all four fingers down
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Jul 29, 2009,
Just a quick question, when you guys learn solos, do you learn the scale that its played in first, or screw it and just learn the solo?
Its been awhile, but I used to know the solos to:

Enter Sandman -- Metallica
Scream Aim Fire -- BFMV
Waking the Demon -- BFMV
Her Voice Resides -- BFMV

EDIT to the guy above me: I just say screw it and learn the solos, but it is important to know your scales. I wish someone would've told me that when I first started. Now I run thru scales as a warm up
Last edited by 3rdActguitarist at Jul 29, 2009,
Im half way through the 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
One or master of puppets the last solos for both of them
i learned them like a year ago and havent learned a new solo since
Smells like teen Spirit. YES, I suck.

Playing a whole song beats only playing its solo. I hate all the videos on youtube where it's just the solo of a song. Seriously good job you can play the solo but whats the point without the rest of the song?
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Quote by zomghax
Smells like teen Spirit. YES, I suck.

Playing a whole song beats only playing its solo. I hate all the videos on youtube where it's just the solo of a song. Seriously good job you can play the solo but whats the point without the rest of the song?

well usually the solos the hardest part of the song so USUALLY if you can play the solo you can play the whole entire song
Well I started learning Master of Puppets but I was interrupted for two months by a hiatus so I havent really done any soloing. I might start learning some Mastodon and Metallica solos so that I can impress the peeps
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
well usually the solos the hardest part of the song so USUALLY if you can play the solo you can play the whole entire song

My rant was aimed at those videos with only a solo. It's pathetic.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Quote by zomghax
My rant was aimed at those videos with only a solo. It's pathetic.

Well see sometimes people just want to see someone play the solo, whether for educational purposes or just to be impressed, and it's quicker to get straight to the point rather than having to search for it through the rest of the song. Plus there's other factors, like you're more likely to make a mistake in the solo, so it's quicker just to restart the solo rather than having to go through the whole song again. And yeah I find it fun just to watch the solos sometimes.
Master of Puppets Solo - Metallica
Suicide Messiah Solo - Black Label Society
Farewell Ballad - Zakk Wylde
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
The Trooper by Iron Maiden. I tend not to learn solo's and improvise a lot more.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Bleed for Me- BLS
Mop/one-Metallica
Most of the solos in Holy wars
working on Kissing the shadows-COB
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
theres to many whats the hardest solo thread we should make a "Whats the easiest solo you can play thread" instead.
easiest solo i can play is reptilia by the strokes
Scarified and Technical Difficulties - Racer X
For the Love of God - Steve Vai

'nuff said.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2, but not perfectly.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Travis39
The Trooper by Iron Maiden. I tend not to learn solo's and improvise a lot more.

+1

I find it boring learning from books or tabs and plus it makes you a better guitarist by improvising cause you find 9 times out of 10 not even the original guitarist isn't even playing the same as the recorded version.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Ive been playin a year with a bc rich warlock
and One- Metallica is the hardest solo I know
(i'm talking about the slow and fast solos)
I GOT A LES PAUL YAY!!!
River dragon has come - Nevermore, has taken me a few months

One, is good I learned that 15 years ago but is still fun to play.
climactic degradation by the black dahlia murder
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
im currently working on Castraitikron by Dethklok, which is pretty challenging for me.

The hardest one I can play is probably The Air That I Breathe by All That Remains, which took forever to learn
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I guess Walk by Pantera.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
The kids aren't alright by the offspring...
and some of the freebird solo
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Uh... I guess the hardest solo out of the solo that I can play would either be the American Idiot solo or the Milligram Smile solo.

I don't listen to many songs with solos, and on top of that, I don't really take the time to learn them. I started to learn the 25 or 6 to4 solo, but I stopped trying after like a week because I realized I was wasting a lot of time trying to play this 2 and a half minute long solo when the guy who's playing it in the recording has a good 10 years on me in playing guitar.
Crossing the Rubicon - The human abstract.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Second solo from Opeth's "Deliverance". Haven't gotten it perfect yet but it's close.
Metallica- Whiplash
or
Pantera- Cowboys From Hell

To be honest, I really dont learn a ton of solos. I usually just write my own or jam over the track using the style of the lead guitarist.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by metalhead_c-1
To be honest, I really dont learn a ton of solos. I usually just write my own or jam over the track using the style of the lead guitarist.

Same here, unless it's a particularly memorable solo (No More Tears, Mississippi Queen, etc.).

The last solo I learned though was Tornado of Souls a couple of months ago, which is not nearly as hard as it sounds.
Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria.
Gear
------
Burny RLC-50 Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Vintage 70s Ibanez Custom Acoustic
Vox AD50VT 2x12
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD-7
Page 1 of 2