Hey guys, I have a pedalboard, I have pedals. The issue I have is putting it all together.

Mah gear

Guitars - check mah sig

Pedals:
MXR EVH sig Phase 90
Jimi Hendrix sig Fuzz Face
Line 6 Jam 4
Korg Pitchblack tuner
(soon) some dunlop or vox wah

Amp:
Egnater Rebel 20 into a Fender 4x12" (Important - has NO reverb or a second channel to switch to, so I am mainly using the phase 90 to give my tone some depth, and the guitar volume and fuzzface to change my gain)

Now, I have no idea how to plug them all together. At the moment, it is

fuzzface-->wah-->phase 90-->Jam 4-->tuner

What I want to know is: is my current pedal arrangement the most optimal, tone-wise?

*Special Note: I use ALL of the Jam 4's features. I plug headphones into it and use my entire pedal board as a practice amp with it's built in preamp and backing tracks, but live it is exclusively looper and delay.

If you can help me out, I'll show pics of the pedalbaord. I take a lot of pride in it, it looks pretty cool.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Guitar > Tuner > Wah > Fuzz > Amp > Phaser (loop) > Line 6 (loop) > Speakers

Edit: if it has no loop, just remove the amp from the pedal order and there you go.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Edit: if it has no loop, just remove the amp from the pedal order and there you go.

I run my wah 1st and tuner 2nd to get the best from the wah, but make sure your tuner still tracks properly if you do this
Quote by anguskilminster
I run my wah 1st and tuner 2nd to get the best from the wah, but make sure your tuner still tracks properly if you do this

I'm not sure why a properly bypassed tuner would have any effect on the wah, or the rest of the rig for that matter.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm not sure why a properly bypassed tuner would have any effect on the wah, or the rest of the rig for that matter.

To me the wah sounds better as the 1st pedal in the chain, no bufferring or signal drop (however small) from the pedal in front of it. Just my opinion, if it makes no difference to someone else then take no notice of my ramblings!
wouldnt you want the fuzz before the wah???

usually you want to wah the distorted tone, for more of a wah sound....rather than distorting the wah sound

thats what i always thought
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by thedekker

usually you want to wah the distorted tone, for more of a wah sound....rather than distorting the wah sound

Traditionally, Wah should always go before distortion, unless you happen to prefer the sound of the reverse order.

Quote by thedekker

i don't know about traditionally where things go, but i run before distortion, i know others who run after. makes a big difference either way, but it's just different strokes for different folks
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by bubb_tubbs

This. This is what you want.
Why can't the tuner go last? And the phaser and looper are already attached to my pedalboard, how can I put them in my effects loop? My amp does have an effects loop, but pedals in effects loop i have seen are traditionally on top of the amp head.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Why can't the tuner go last? And the phaser and looper are already attached to my pedalboard, how can I put them in my effects loop? My amp does have an effects loop, but pedals in effects loop i have seen are traditionally on top of the amp head.

You can put the tuner wherever you want, but since it's a Pitchblack and has no tone loss to speak of, I'd just throw it in front.

As for the pedalboard issue, you must already have at least one cord that will reach the amp from there.

Buy two more that size.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
ORLY?

http://www.musicplayer.com/article/the-gear-jimi/Mar-05/4046

"[Hendrix's] standard effects order was wah, Octavia, Fuzz Face, and Uni-Vibe."

To further justify my point, with the Fuzz before the Wah, this is where i got the idea. its the manual for the Crybaby Original, and says "jimis preferred hookup:"

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/1145592348_gcb95_manual.pdf
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by bubb_tubbs

This seems to be the best bet.

On the rant on placing the fuzz before the wah, if the amps overdrive is used, you get the sound of both options by placing the fuzz before the wah if you know what I mean.
Quote by thedekker
To further justify my point, with the Fuzz before the Wah, this is where i got the idea. its the manual for the Crybaby Original, and says "jimis preferred hookup:"

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/1145592348_gcb95_manual.pdf

Jimi would roll over in his grave if he knew Dunlop was saying he preferred their pedal. It's an awful wah.

So is there anything inherently bad about having the tuner at the end of the chain?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
So is there anything inherently bad about having the tuner at the end of the chain?

Nope. Might I ask why you're so insistent on putting it precisely there, though?

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Nope. Might I ask why you're so insistent on putting it precisely there, though?

I alreay have a spot partitioned for it at my pedalboard, and I really do not like having the Line 6 JM4 at the end of the chain (plugging stuff into that thing is a pain).

But does anyone have a clear answer as to what goes first in the chain? Wah/fuzz?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
K guys, I have decided on my origional setup. Sorry to kinda not apply all of your suggestions I will provide pics soon.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
its really your personal preference what goes first, the fuzz or wah.
i play with my distortion pedal before the wah and use my amps overdrive after the wah so i can get the best of both worlds
Quote by kranoscorp
I alreay have a spot partitioned for it at my pedalboard, and I really do not like having the Line 6 JM4 at the end of the chain (plugging stuff into that thing is a pain).

But does anyone have a clear answer as to what goes first in the chain? Wah/fuzz?

http://www.zimbio.com/Guitar+Boomer/articles/36/How+Choose+Correct+Signal+Chain+Order+Effects

Edit: When he talks about having the Fuzz Face first, he's talking about reissues.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 1, 2009,