I currently only have some beat up Squier. So, I'm saving up for a new guitar. I'm not done saving yet, but I figure it can't be anything over $2000. Thats American Dollars.

The bands I play are: After the Burial, Meshuggah, The Faceless, Acacia Strain, Psycroptic, Threat Signal, (some) metalcore like As I Lay Dying and Parkway Drive.

So I'm debating on getting an 8 string or not (After the Burial, Meshuggah)

If so, which one should I get?

If not, which 6 string should I get. And no I'm not getting a 7 string.

Once again, the budget is $2,000.

Edit: Amp is Roland Cube 15x. Believe it or not, the amp sounds really good. The reason I don't want a 7 string is because After the Burial and Meshuggah play 8's. The other bands play 6's. There you go...
Last edited by Flariduh at Jul 29, 2009,
could i ask why you dont want a 7 but you're willing to go 8 string

also what amp do you have?
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Have a look at the ESP LTD 8 string models.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Don't get the 8 string. I got a 7-string after I got into some bands that used them, but after my fetish for their music had ended, i had this 7-string i never touch. I wish i would have bought something else.
Check out my band Disturbed
use half of the money for a good amp and the rest for a still awesome guitar. I also have a Roland 15 X and now i got a new valve amp.... well simply the little valve amp i got blows my Cube 15 X out of the water, do the switch and you WOULD NEVER EVER want to go back to the cube.
ibanez xiphos/xpt700, its a thru-neck, has a trem(the edge 3 isnt that bad, the haters just dont have it set up right) it comes with d-activators(they sound like active pickups, but warmer), and its an awesome, badass shape(search necrophagist on youtube, the lead guitarist usually uses it). Try to get the green color changing one or the black one, the red color changing one looks crappy.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Well if your looking for Meshuggah sounds than the Ibanez 8 string prestige would be the way to go. In fact, you may consider going used because with the money you'll save you could afford a good tube amp.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by smartalec007
ibanez xiphos/xpt700, its a thru-neck, has a trem(the edge 3 isnt that bad, the haters just dont have it set up right) it comes with d-activators(they sound like active pickups, but warmer), and its an awesome, badass shape(search necrophagist on youtube, the lead guitarist usually uses it). Try to get the green color changing one or the black one, the red color changing one looks crappy.

Thats a false statement the edge 3 is crap because it made of materials it will eventually fall apart here is no questioning it. TS id recommend you get a shecter c-8 hellraiser and a used peavey 5150 or 6160 that would work great.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Don't get the 8 string. I got a 7-string after I got into some bands that used them, but after my fetish for their music had ended, i had this 7-string i never touch. I wish i would have bought something else.

Why don't you just not use the bottom two strings?

TS: Agile makes some great 8 strings, and they look badass too. And you can put the leftover ~$1350 towards a badass new amp or another guitar (maybe a great 6-string).

The Agiles.
http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html

A great 6-string would be a high end LTD (400, 500, or 1000 series. 600 if you don't mind an artist model), or a cheaper ESP. Also, there's Jackson, Ibanez, Schecter, Washburn, the world is your oyster.

A great AMP for what you're doing (if you want a great upgrade for the Roland, which I agree sounds great for what it is) would be the ever-mentioned used Peavey 5150 combo, ENGL Screamer, Randall RM50 (used combo), or Mesa Boogie F-50.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 29, 2009,
Get a Peavey 5150 amp and any esp, schecter, or jackson with emgs or hot pups
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
Yeah used peavey 5150 or new 6505 and should have enough for any decent 6/8 stringed guitar. I would recommend some but I have no idea what the going rate for those amps are.