So I have been considering buying an Epiphone les paul standard plain (black). But I am reconsidering it now because i am finding out that there are so many guitars by Squire, Ibanez, Esp, BC Rich, Jackson, etc. that seem to be cheaper. Is there a reason why many of these guitars range from $100-$400 while the les pauls (at least the ones I am looking into) are $400-$800? Is it a matter of versatility where the epiphone les pauls can play a greater range of different genres then say the Esp or Ibanez can? Or are the les pauls better quality guitars? I wanna purchase a guitar that is versatile and can play different genres. I am really into GNR and other bluesy rock but I am also a huge fan of thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, etc.

PS. My budget is around $500
I've been playing acoustic guitar for 2 years
I would like to play everything from GNR to Nirvana and from RHCP to Metallica.
I am also consdering buying either a Line 6 Spider 30w or a Fender FM 25 DSP Frontman Combo Amp.

Please help me decide what guitar to buy UG!
Stick with the Epiphone Les Paul for a guitar. It does everything you mentioned well.

As for the amp, avoid those two. If you want an amp $200>, get a Vox VT15 or Peavey Vypyr. If you are willing to go $500> for the amp as well, get a used 5150 combo if you can find one, or a B-52 AT112
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jul 29, 2009,
stick with the epiphone les paul good amps to look at are the peavey vyper, roland cube and vox valvetronix
Don' Get A Shredder Guitar If It Has A Floyd Rose Bridge (The one with The Buttons) Cause It'll Be A Pain To Change Strings.
No, don't get that. Ibanez is the way to go if you want cheap and nice. The SZ series is awesome and cheap. I've been playing 9 years and I have the SZ320, which I paid 450 for. It still does the job VERY well and I promise you would not be disappointed. As for the amp I must agree your choices are poor. Check out Crate amps for decent cheap sound. I use a Crate with few complaints. The rest is about how you use what you've got.
Like the first post said, stick with the epiphone, versatile and its a good guitar.
Steer away from the Line 6 and Frontman. I think you should go for a combo amp, lie a Vypyr, it would give you access to effects and its great for bedroom levels.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Just to reinforce what everyone is saying, go for the Epiphone. You will get more versatility, whereas the ESP or Ibanez will be good for pretty much just metal.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
The upper end Epiphones are great. You could easily find a used les paul standard for $300 on craigslist or ebay. Most of the other brands you listed (especially ibanez) have shltty guitars at those prices. An epi les paul will suite your needs much better for longer.

As for the amp, don't ever buy a Line 6 Spider, they're horrible and most people here will tell you that. I suggest buying a small used tube amp. I got mine for $100.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by wildwildwes594 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by tmfiore
If you are willing to go $500> for the amp as well, get a used 5150 combo if you can find one, or a B-52 AT112

I agree with everything but this. I wouldn't recommend a valve amp to a beginner, most beginners don't understand the importance of taking such care with amps. I'd save valve for a second amp.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Any guitar can play any genre...

The problem that pops up in this instance, isn't that a guitar can or cannot fit a genre... but that it doesn't produce quite the right tone that one is looking for in conjunction with the amp of your choice.

The tone, and thus the genres a guitar can fit, isn't a result of brand or colour... but more to do with the wood a guitar is made of, and what kind of electronics it is useing. Shape can dictate tone on a microsopic level, but that's not really to do with shape, but more to do with how much material is nearer to certain areas of the guitar. Tone also can be affected by how good the connection is between the neck and the body of the guitar. Screwed on necks won't carry the vibrations through quite like neck-through guitars (where the neck and the center of the body is between two "wings" on either side of the center of the body).

So in short, it's less to do with brand, colour, shape, and what not... and more to do with the wood, electronics, and other materials that make up a guitar. The reason the Epi is more expensive is two fold, brand name, and more likly, the wood(s) being used in the guitar, and also possibly the electronic.

I'm hurried here, so I hope I was helpful enough.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I wouldn't get an Epi.
Jacksons, ESP's Ibanez and Deans can be more of a shredder guitar because of the thin necks.

I'd stay away from B.C. Rich guitars. Their low end models aren't the best. And stay away from Squiers. Buying a Squier is almost a punishment to yourself.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that all these "buying first electric guitar" threads ALWAYS have an Epi SG or Les Paul involved? I refuse to jump on the Epi band wagon...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I wouldn't get an Epi.
Jacksons, ESP's Ibanez and Deans can be more of a shredder guitar because of the thin necks.

I'd stay away from B.C. Rich guitars. Their low end models aren't the best. And stay away from Squiers. Buying a Squier is almost a punishment to yourself.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that all these "buying first electric guitar" threads ALWAYS have an Epi SG or Les Paul involved? I refuse to jump on the Epi band wagon...

lol alot of epis are great. im sure you refuse to jump on the tube band wagon too though.
Look which other guitar you could like, try them at a guitar store, I wish I would have done that too when I bought my guitar.
If you like the Epiphone LP and you can play on it well, take it, but if you feel another guitar plays better, take that one.
Don't get blinded by the shape, shiny finish and the artists who play guitars like that.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If i had 500 bucks to spend on one guitar, and it was going to be my only guitar, I would buy a MIM Tele.
Quote by punkrocker22
Don' Get A Shredder Guitar If It Has A Floyd Rose Bridge (The one with The Buttons) Cause It'll Be A Pain To Change Strings.

I'm So Cool Because I Capitalize Every Word
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul as my first electric and I liked it, still do. They aren't the best but there good. As far as the amp goes I would stay away from the Spider III and hold on to your money a bit untill you can afford a better amp. Used 5150 Combo, would be amazing but you gotta look around to find them cheap.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
set neck guitars with carved tops are more expensive to produce. also the connection to gibson is helping to add a premium too.

if you ask me, a superstrat or fat strat with a bridge humbucker is more versatile, the premium in price isn't really anything to do with versatility.

the epi would do guns n roses stuff really well, but might struggle a bit with that thrash metal, even the best les pauls can get a bit muddy in the bass when tight, higher gain tones are needed, but those epiphone pickups especially have the reputation of being muddy.

i'd be looking at some kind of superstrat/strat copy with a bridge humbucker and two single coils, or maybe an HSH one. as someone else said, avoid guitars with locking trems at your budget, they're liable to be more bother than they're worth.

take a look at some godins, yamaha pacificas and the like.

EDIT: for the amp look into the roland cubes (either micro or 30x, the 15x and 20x aren't as good as they don't have the amp models), the vox valvetronixes and the peavey vypyr (haven't tried the vypyr yet).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 29, 2009,
low ended ibanezs are preety bad so i wouldnt get one. But with 500 you could get areally nice used one thats great. if you want to play Metallica you might want to get a Floyd Rose there a pain at first but you'll get to used to it. If you want to get a epip then a customs preety nice.
For amps dont get a frontman, spider, or MG. I dont think you should get a tube or anything other than a combo since you could easily break it. A cube would be good. But if you want a tube you should get a hybrid like the vox Vt .
Quote by IPlaySchecter
If i had 500 bucks to spend on one guitar, and it was going to be my only guitar, I would buy a MIM Tele.

I fyou can find a MIM Tele for that ... even used they can get pricy... unless it's a copy... but then fender copies aren't too great usually...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
u have a big budget for a first guitar lucky bastard i spent 278 bucks in total for my begginer stuff
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Epiphones cost more because they are overpriced. Sure they are cheap compared with real Gibsons and the Gibson company realise there is a premium price attached to ALL the products they make. To really compare like for like, look at Agile Les Pauls. So you save $100 or more that can go towards a better amp and you have a much better balanced setup without dropping quality on the guitar.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x