So I *may* be acquiring a brown Gibson faded SG. I've played Schecters and Ibanez for quite a while, so I'm used to heavy guitars with thick finishes. I played an SG faded at the store yesterday, and I love the weight and balance, but it feels almost too light and the wood seems too thin to me.

I know I'll get used to it, but can someone attest for its durability? I just don't want to end up being too rough with it. Then again, it is a Gibson.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Any guitar will treat you well if you treat it well.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah, you have to constantly hold the neck of an SG so the head doesn't droop down towards the ground. It's fine once you're used to it. On the plus side, it's easier on your back!
its made of a solid piece of wood
as long as u dont chuck it about or go Townshend with it it will be fine
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I love the faded finishes, I have the Les Paul and its real sturdy. Its actually easier to fix scratches and dings on the wood with a little stain or water. But as Mr. Mayo said "watch the headstock".
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Yeah. I know it's got neck-dive like a bitch, but it felt SO much more comfortable to me.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
ive only really felt a hella neck dive on the sg400's

my 72 sg custom has no hint of neck dive. no idea whats up with that lol
i had an sg special in black for a long time. great guitar. the only difference between that and the faded is a solid paint job, really. and it held up great. i put that poor guitar through so much.
my finsh is just staring to fade the tinyest bit, and i have had it for 2 years. Its a tone machine! it sounds great, but i didnt like the stock pickups much at all so i put duncans in it. No neck dive at all.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
one time i slung my faded brown sg over my head and the clip lock strap it was connected to shattered. the guitar plummeted to the hard-wood floor. its headstock smacked the ground followed by the thud of the body. it jumbled back and forth on the ground for a second. i was mortified, i had just broken my favorite guitar for sure..... i picked it up and everything was flawless. i would bet my life this guitar will outlast most of your other ones, the finish allows it to breath and flex beautifully. and its built like a tank, as hopefully my story shows.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

about the neck dives, can u buy straps with more friction on the shoulder to stop it diving ??

Quote by mrshinyshoes2
about the neck dives, can u buy straps with more friction on the shoulder to stop it diving ??

Thick leather straps will help with the neck dive.
I got an SG and it feels really sturdy and safe, I dropped it once by mistake in an extremely ugly way, but it was unscathed.
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group