Page 1 of 2
Would you consider Theocracy a type of government, or just a goverment that has religious influence??

Dont flame me or attack me, i am just curious because i myself am not sure.
I'm not gay, a lot of people think I'm gay. I have a girlfriend, she thinks I'm gay.
Theocracy is a form of government in which a god or deity is recognized as the state's supreme civil ruler,[1] or in a broader sense, a form of government in which a state is governed by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided.[2] In Common Greek, “theocracy” means a rule [kra′tos] by God [the.os′]. For believers, theocracy is a form of government in which divine power governs an earthly human state, either in a personal incarnation or, more often, via religious institutional representatives (i.e., a church), replacing or dominating civil government.[3] Theocratic governments enact theonomic laws.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Theocracy is a form of government in which a god or deity is recognized as the state's supreme civil ruler,[1] or in a broader sense, a form of government in which a state is governed by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided.[2] In Common Greek, “theocracy” means a rule [kra′tos] by God [the.os′]. For believers, theocracy is a form of government in which divine power governs an earthly human state, either in a personal incarnation or, more often, via religious institutional representatives (i.e., a church), replacing or dominating civil government.[3] Theocratic governments enact theonomic laws.

This. It is a quite odd system of government.

\endthread

EDIT: Oh and TS, most won't flame you. You asked an intelligent question, something rare here, and that shouldn't get you flamed.
Last edited by BK202 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by phlip999
An entire Government based on a single religion? Sounds stupid.

Don't go to the Vatican.
Quote by phlip999
A Government based on religion? Sounds stupid.
Fixed
Quote by SlayingDragons
I think it's a type of government, and frankly, I don't see whats wrong with it.
I don't care about your personal religous views but why should you be allowed to impose your views on others?
i know, a theocracy is quite dumb, i was just wondering. thanks
I'm not gay, a lot of people think I'm gay. I have a girlfriend, she thinks I'm gay.
Quote by Nietsche
I don't care about your personal religous views but why should you be allowed to impose your views on others?

Why shouldn't you?

Some societies are very homogeneous. I don't think that has even crossed their minds.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think Iran is technically a theocracy, especially since its full name is the Islamic Republic of Iran.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Any government that posts a diety as it's head is foolish, it'll be rife with corruption and brainwashing. As is dictated by the past, belief in god or whatever is fine and anyone has the right to believe so, but when they post a "god" as head post of the government, somethings wrong :P
Try looking up Turkmenistan. Turkmenbashi is our best recent example of a theocracy. My only regret at his passing, is that there's no more Turkmenbashi to be amused by.
Daresay it wasn't so funny for the people of Turkmenistan.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why shouldn't you?
Depends on your worldview. I'm an individualist. I value individual autonomy and freedom (I am NOT a capitalist/libertarian before you ask)
Some societies are very homogeneous. I don't think that has even crossed their minds.
Then why do they need to impose their views by force then?
Quote by Nietsche

They don't. 100% of the population agreeing the Head of State is the Flying Spaghetti Monster is still a theocracy. Force is just usually the name of the game.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Nietsche
Depends on your worldview. I'm an individualist. I value individual autonomy and freedom (I am NOT a capitalist/libertarian before you ask)

Well that's the thing. Within a homogeneous society, they might not even think twice about the mandatory religion. They probably think it's completely normal and in no way imposed by force.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SteveHouse
I think Iran is technically a theocracy, especially since its full name is the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Strictly not. It's a republic, in that it has no royalty or noble class. It's guided on Sharia principles, but Ahmadinejad hasn't declared himself Allah/God/whatever. Unlike Turkmenbashi I mentioned before, who insisted his people treat him as God. That's theocracy.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why shouldn't you?

Take a look at present-day Iran and Afghanistan under the Taliban, then look up the Salem Witch Trials, the Spanish Inquisition, and Mary Tudor.

That's why.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well that's the thing. Within a homogeneous society, they might not even think twice about the mandatory religion. They probably think it's completely normal and in no way imposed by force.
But why do they need to impose their religion by force if the society is homogenous?
Quote by Nietsche
But why do they need to impose their religion by force if the society is homogenous?

They don't. You can have a theocracy without force.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Nietsche

Well, by saying that they don't feel that it's imposed by force, I'm implying that they probably do it willingly because it's so prominent in their homogeneous culture and doesn't take the least bit of force to conform to the religion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yea its a type of government, look at North Korea for example; they worship Kim Jong Il and his dead dad as demi-gods and the whole of their society is based around worshipping those two and thanking them for everything all day long from their food, to their jobs.
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Quote by SteveHouse
They don't. You can have a theocracy without force.

How many have there been without force?
I mean either in their initial establishment, or in later repression of other faiths?
yea its a type of government, look at North Korea for example; they worship Kim Jong Il and his dead dad as demi-gods and the whole of their society is based around worshipping those two and thanking them for everything all day long from their food, to their jobs.
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Quote by MightyAl
I mean either in their initial establishment, or in later repression of other faiths?

I was speaking theoretically

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by MightyAl
Exactly. I find it hard to believe that no one at any time in a theocracy is going to dissent fromt the prescribed religion. At that point the theocracies legitimacy starts to break down
Quote by SteveHouse
I was speaking theoretically
Theoretically any type of government works as long as the entire population is in consensus
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by mrjimborinsane

I wonder what will happen when Kim Jong and all of his family dies??

Last edited by Newse at Jul 29, 2009,
america bleh is a theocracy now. we are 'tolerant' of people who follow other religions but we make rules according to our dumb religion. argh! i can't take it! is england any better?
Quote by eddievanzant
america bleh is a theocracy now. we are 'tolerant' of people who follow other religions but we make rules according to our dumb religion. argh! i can't take it! is england any better?

America is definitely not a theocracy, it's just got a lot of imbeciles in office. Like any country, really.
Quote by eddievanzant

You have no idea what a theocracy is, do you?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by eddievanzant
america bleh is a theocracy now. we are 'tolerant' of people who follow other religions but we make rules according to our dumb religion.
That's not a theocracy. Your god isn't the head of state. It's more a matter of institutionalised retardation
Quote by eddievanzant
argh! i can't take it! is england any better?
Marginally
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by creepingjesus73
Try looking up Turkmenistan. Turkmenbashi is our best recent example of a theocracy. My only regret at his passing, is that there's no more Turkmenbashi to be amused by.
Daresay it wasn't so funny for the people of Turkmenistan.

Their previous President for life has to be the most hilarious tyrannical bastard of all time
Quote by Nietsche
Exactly. I find it hard to believe that no one at any time in a theocracy is going to dissent fromt the prescribed religion. At that point the theocracies legitimacy starts to break down
Theoretically any type of government works as long as the entire population is in consensus

It would be nice if that could ever be the case, but IMO there are too many people to achieve this now, and probably have been ever since the bronze age.
Quote by eddievanzant

People here are ridiculously apathetic to religion. It would take me a fair while to name 5-10 people I know in real life of a particular faith.
Quote by SteveHouse
You have no idea what a theocracy is, do you?

i know america isn't a theocracy. i was just just saying.. you understand you're just arguing.
Quote by MightyAl
It would be nice if that could ever be the case, but IMO there are too many people to achieve this now, and probably have been ever since the bronze age.
I have a few views/ideas on this issue but we'd probably be poking into the realms of the politics thread
Quote by eddievanzant
i know america isn't a theocracy. i was just just saying.. you understand you're just arguing.

Problem eddie?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2