Okay, so I definitely am not advanced in music theory, but I asked in another thread, and for what I play and everything (I play and write Punk, Pop-Punk, Grunge, Post-Grunge and Alternative), I've got a solid grasp. My band recently added another guitarist, but he's only been playing a couple months. He doesn't know music theory, but he sounds interested in learning it once I explained to him what it was. What I want to know is where I should start as far as teaching him. I'm not sure if he even knows the chromatic scale or the notes on his fretboard yet. Once he knows the chromatic scale and the names of the strings, what should I teach him? Should I show him each note on the fretboard first, or teach him the intervals of the major and minor scales first? And then, after he knows those, should I teach him what intervals are, or what? Help?
You should probably tell him to get lessons. Even if you do know your theory it might be hard for you to teach. Especially if he's a freind. Your gonna get distracted easily and miss the whole point of teaching. And a teacher has expierience. He can help him fix mistakes and learn many things that you may forget to teach.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I'd say teach him the things that are going to be the most useful to him in the band: power chords, major, minor and 7th barre chords and major, minor and 7th chords in the first position (first 3 or 4 frets). Also, try getting him to start learning the Pentatonic and Blues scales. If you're doing punk, grunge, pop and alternative rock learning all of those things will be important. Then its just practice, practice, practice...
Quote by Abacus11
I'd say teach him the things that are going to be the most useful to him in the band: power chords, major, minor and 7th barre chords and major, minor and 7th chords in the first position (first 3 or 4 frets). Also, try getting him to start learning the Pentatonic and Blues scales. If you're doing punk, grunge, pop and alternative rock learning all of those things will be important. Then its just practice, practice, practice...

Quote by killerscorpion
You should probably tell him to get lessons. Even if you do know your theory it might be hard for you to teach. Especially if he's a freind. Your gonna get distracted easily and miss the whole point of teaching. And a teacher has expierience. He can help him fix mistakes and learn many things that you may forget to teach.

I'm gonna try to address you both in the same post:

I think he got the pentatonic from his lessons, so that should be done; I'll have to show him the intervals of the blues scale. He's getting lessons, but I think they're more based around playing and memorizing shapes than music theory; I'll have to ask him next time I can. The other guitarist in the band showed him powerchords, and he knows C and G major from lessons, but what I want to do more than anything is show him how they're constructed, so he won't just have to rely on memorized shapes, which seems to be what his lessons did. I really want someone else who knows they're music thoery in the band (the first guitarist doesn't know much of it).