Hi, what are your opinions on the Ibanez RG321 ? Does anyone have experience w/ it? Is it a good starter metal guitar for the price? Thanks.
Quote by FretBoardToAsh
Only pussies stand while moshing, the real badass' sit in the balcony 5 meters up and kick random people in the face. You go down hard and have 4 seconds to think of how badass you are before you hit the ground.
The wizard II neck has a pretty unique feel to it, make sure you play it a ton before you buy it. Other than that, the guitar is pretty solid except for the pickups (in my opinion).
I miss Morbid, the metal forum sucks now
I've owned mine for about 6 months now and I love it. But yeah, definitely change out the pickups.
I played it in my local guitar store, and I think it's a really good value.

Is this your first guitar?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by Reds3031

Is this your first guitar?

My first electric.
Quote by FretBoardToAsh
Only pussies stand while moshing, the real badass' sit in the balcony 5 meters up and kick random people in the face. You go down hard and have 4 seconds to think of how badass you are before you hit the ground.
If you like the neck, go for it. Ibanez necks seem like a love/hate thing with people, and the people that hate them tend to rip on ibanez as a company, most of the time not even realizing that not all of their necks have insanely thin thicknesses and not all of them are built for "TEH ULTIM4T3Z SHR3DZ0RZ" as some people have hammered into their brains because RGs are so popular with people that play metal.
You can't go wrong with one and the best part is that the only weaknesses it has can be easily upgraded later down the track.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
You can't go wrong with one and the best part is that the only weaknesses it has can be easily upgraded later down the track.

Which weakness/upgrade do you mean?
Quote by compin

Mainly the pickups essentially. But for the amount you are paying I guess it's fair if Ibanez do go cheap there.
I used to own an RG321MH, I actually still would but I gave it to a good friend after an unfortunate accident befell his only guitar. It was, and still is, a great guitar. It plays like butter and is built to last.

As has already been said, the only weakness is those pickups. Replace them with something more suited to your preferred genres and you'll have a guitar to keep for life.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by compin

pickups for sure. I used to have a RG321MH. It was a nice little guitar for 300 bucks. Perfect to mod down the road as you go. But make sure you like the neck. I didnt.
Should I spend the extra $50 on the Ibanez RG3EXFM1 Is it worth it? Which is better for metal? Should I go with this one b/c of the pickups? Pros/ cons? Thanks.
Quote by FretBoardToAsh
Quote by ieatbicycles
Should I spend the extra $50 on the Ibanez RG3EXFM1 Is it worth it? Which is better for metal? Should I go with this one b/c of the pickups? Pros/ cons? Thanks.
I think for the extra $50 it is worth it, because you get in the better inlay and a flame top. There also appears to be a binding around the EX body.

I personally didn't like the 321's neck mainly beause it is unfinished on the back. Also the fret dressing wasn't that good with a lot of sharp edges.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Unfinished means just wood, no paint or laquer over it

edit: which is not necessarily a bad thing, some people actually prefer it. I know I do, because paint and laquer over the neck makes it feel sticky and friction-y.
Last edited by apope at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by apope

Oh, lol im sitting here thinking like "whats missing?" Lmao. Blonde moment
Quote by FretBoardToAsh
The RG321 is a great choice, just watch out because the QC on these varies since they're made in... Indonesia I think? Point is, not one of the best guitar manufacturing plants.

If you're going to replace pickups, and you're not going for $200 handwound in the seventh circle of hell by Randy Rhoads kind of pickups, look into getting the Steve's Special by Dimarzio for the bridge, it responds really well to mahogany guitars. Neck I don't have a particular reccomendation, but the PAF Pro would be a good way to go.
Quote by apope
The RG321 is a great choice, just watch out because the QC on these varies since they're made in... Indonesia I think? Point is, not one of the best guitar manufacturing plants.

Indonesia is very solid. The cheaper Yamaha Pacificas and Ibanez S Series are from Indonesia too.
Quote by compin
Indonesia is very solid. The cheaper Yamaha Pacificas and Ibanez S Series are from Indonesia too.

lol whatever.

ok, ts, don't watch out for the QC.
Quote by apope

edit: which is not necessarily a bad thing, some people actually prefer it. I know I do, because paint and laquer over the neck makes it feel sticky and friction-y.

Thats exactally how i feel. I love unfinished necks. i didnt like the feel of it,
Quote by DigitalGraffiti
Personally I would wait a bit and get this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG3EXFM1-Electric-Guitar-104831474-i1400085.gc

But that's just because if you start to shred I feel that basswood is a better wood but really they are about equal. So I'm sure that guitar is acceptable for what you want.

i think mahogany is the better wood, and i've been considering the RGR421EXFM because of it.

if it doesnt matter or you like basswood, TS, u should pay the extra $50 for that nice top and inlays.

I still like the heavy feel and deeper resonating sound of mahogany though.

i have an rg321mh and its an awesome guitar that u can keep for a long while.
Thanks guys! I ended up with an IBANEZ RG3EXFM1 I love it.
Quote by FretBoardToAsh