Hey guys, I got an issue with my guitar.

Whenever I play my guitar on a high gain channel (or any channel that isnt clean), I get a great deal of unwanted noise.

If I put my finger on my pickup or most metal parts near the pickup (including pickup screws) most if not all the unwanted noise is gone. The guitar I have is a wildfire x3 and it has passive pickups if that helps.

I used my other guitar on my **** amp that I own however it did not have any of these issues so I am pretty certain its the guitar.

Also when I plug headphones into the amp using this noisy guitar, in the higher gain channels, I get a very loud and high pitched noise when I am not playing

loud and high pitched enough to make a dog want to kill itself.

So what is the problem and how can I go about fixing it?

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is feedback. Either turning down the volume or moving away from the amplifier should do the trick.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
lol i don't think its a feedback issue due to the fact that even across the road i get it with my drive wildfire x3.

When I plug my jackson ksxt kelly star in, hell i can be in front of it and will not have this sound so i think feedback is out my friend.

edit: using the same chord for both guitars, having only an issue with this one and the chords and brand new as well

Planet waves lol
Last edited by FallenSaint at Jul 29, 2009,
i'm with ibanezpsycho, i had the same issue with an older guitar i owned, its a bad grounding connection. Take it to a tech.
+1 to the bad ground

i dont think its feedback, cos he tried a different guitar and nothin happened, and also nothing happened with the same cord, so it definitely is the guitar
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
What do you guys mean by bad grounding exactly?

Like the pickups got to be resoldered?
The problem is bad earthing. When you touch metal parts you are earthing it and the noise reduces, There are numerous ways to improve a guitar's earthing and several threads on the subject, so do a search please as I am not inclined to re-invent the wheel right now. Oh, and the guys with the tips on previous threads know a lot more than I do.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

^thanks i guess? Not like I knew what earthing was untill you said it.

I search for topics similar to my problem but nothing seemed to be exactly what I had

How would I go about fixing this without a tech?
Well as all the guys above stated- its about the grounding, and its pretty normal for passive PU, because there is nowhere for current to ground except through your body when you're touching the metal parts.When you have active PU the battery does that.
My gear:
Jackson RR3 moded (EMG 81/85, OFR)
Jackson JS30 (with Duncan JB/Jazz from my RR3)
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez
in that case should I just get new pickups and get a tech to put em in? I'm selling my other guitar for college so idk when I'll get a new guitar.

This might be a dumb question but the tech WILL fix the grounding issue if new pickups are being put it, right?

Again thanks for all the responses.
It could be bad isolation of the electronics cavity of your guitar.
My guitar (Jackson Dk-2) has a similar problem. It does unwanted noises too at higher gains but if I touch the volume pot, they're gone.
If the new PU are active than it will fix your problem.
My gear:
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez
Quote by metalwolf9
It could be bad isolation of the electronics cavity of your guitar.
My guitar (Jackson Dk-2) has a similar problem. It does unwanted noises too at higher gains but if I touch the volume pot, they're gone.

As I said... All passive PU will have that noise on higher gains while not holding any metal part because of the grounding, and its not the problem its just the way it is, because the el. current need to make a full circle and that circle is made when you're holding to any metal hardware.Active PU use battery which act as ground.
My gear:
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez