The "ultimate wiring thread" isn't such a great idea. Posts get lost (who goes back 4 pages to read something?) in the mix and it's nearly impossible to follow what's going on with 1800+ posts. It seems to defeat the point of a message board.

So, I'm asking again.

Is it rude to ask someone on this forum to come up with a wiring diagram? I figured it was, so I've been trying to bite off smaller chunks.

I've got a custom pedal steel on order and the guy will wire it however I want as long as I pay for the parts and send him a diagram. I think it's pretty complicated and I've only done simple pickup and pot replacements.

Here are the requirements:

Two single-coil pickups, RWRP
Two tone pots
One blend pot in place of a pickup selector
Three SPDT switches (series/paralell, phase reverse, stereo or mono)
TRS output jack (controlled by stereo/mono SPDT)
Killswitch

bonus points!: expression pedal jack that can control the blend pot.

I won't be needing a volume pot as I use a volume pedal.

I think I get the stereo/mono wiring and have a separate thread going about that portion. However, I can't find a good diagram for wiring up the series/parallel and still keep the result in stereo.

I'm not lazy. I want to make this schematic myself, but could use some pointers.
i recommend having a volume pot
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Sabicas
The "ultimate wiring thread" isn't such a great idea.

actually it is since the things you want are all in there. all you need to do is to take all the bits and put them together. it's not really that difficult.
Quote by noisefarmer
actually it is since the things you want are all in there. all you need to do is to take all the bits and put them together. it's not really that difficult.

Ok, I'll try again. I fell into a pattern of reading questions and looking for the replies which, very frequently, did not appear.
Quote by rancidryan
i recommend having a volume pot

Please elaborate? I, like every other pedal steel player, have a foot on the volume pedal 100% of the time. I find a volume pot useful for dirt pedals when playing guitar, but I put my dirt after the volume pedal that is preceded by a tube preamp when playing steel.
Quote by Sabicas
Ok, I'll try again. I fell into a pattern of reading questions and looking for the replies which, very frequently, did not appear.

what you should do is search for the individual things you want wiring-wise, see where they live in the circuit and then start arranging a wiring diagram. once you have that you can post it and i'm sure someone will tell you if it looks right or not.
Quote by noisefarmer
what you should do is search for the individual things you want wiring-wise, see where they live in the circuit and then start arranging a wiring diagram. once you have that you can post it and i'm sure someone will tell you if it looks right or not.

I've been doing just that for a couple of days now. I'm hitting a lot of roadblocks and I'm no newb to google.

- I can't find a single wiring diagram out there that explains wiring two single coils to a switch for series/parallel. Yes, I've been to the Seymour Duncan site.
- Every diagram I see for phase reversal is different and often contradictory. Also, not for two single-coils.
- There is zero information out there for wiring up a passive expression jack.
Quote by Sabicas
I've been doing just that for a couple of days now. I'm hitting a lot of roadblocks and I'm no newb to google.

- I can't find a single wiring diagram out there that explains wiring two single coils to a switch for series/parallel. Yes, I've been to the Seymour Duncan site.
- Every diagram I see for phase reversal is different and often contradictory. Also, not for two single-coils.
- There is zero information out there for wiring up a passive expression jack.

i meant searching here via the searchbar.

edit: passive expression jack? basically all you are doing is putting a cable between the circuit and the pot so you just add 2 1/4 jacks between the two, add cable later, make sure the pot in expression pedal is what you need taper and ohm-wise. think of everything as lego pieces or something.
Last edited by noisefarmer at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by noisefarmer
i meant searching here via the searchbar.

edit: passive expression jack? basically all you are doing is putting a cable between the circuit and the pot so you just add 2 1/4 jacks between the two, add cable later, make sure the pot in expression pedal is what you need taper and ohm-wise. think of everything as lego pieces or something.

I was using the google with this site specifically ("series/parralell wiring site:ultimate-guitar.com"). I was coming up with more information than using this site's searchbar.

why TWO 1/4" jacks for one blend pot?

EDIT: I realize that blend pots are two ganged pots, but I need to be able to control the entire blend with one expression pedal. Possible?

EDIT: I stated "passive" because all of the info I've found for DIY expression wiring involved active effects pedals.
Last edited by Sabicas at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Sabicas
So, I'm asking again.
This is absurd. You've asked FAR too many times.
Including this thread, you have SIX FIVE threads on this project.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167335
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166040
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170666
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171366
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171622

You must stop making new threads on the same project.

Pick ONE of the threads (that is still open) out of the ones listed above and use it.
Else you're gonna get ALL your threads closed and a warning to go with it.

Flooding the forum like this is intolerable.
Please stop.

Thanks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Sabicas
I was using the google with this site specifically ("series/parralell wiring site:ultimate-guitar.com"). I was coming up with more information than using this site's searchbar.

why TWO 1/4" jacks for one blend pot?

EDIT: I realize that blend pots are two ganged pots, but I need to be able to control the entire blend with one expression pedal. Possible?

EDIT: I stated "passive" because all of the info I've found for DIY expression wiring involved active effects pedals.

i meant 2 1/4 jacks as a way to visualize how to move stuff to an expression pedal. i havent gone to sleep yet and my brain is a bit fried right now.

an expression pedal is always passive. it's just a foot controlled pot.

controlling the entire blend with one expression pedal could be done. stereo outs from the guitar into a panning pedal, then after that have your volume pedal.

if you wanted to get really slick you can have all your controls on the floor. stomp switches for phase and series/parallel and pots for tone all in one box. actually that would look pretty damn awesome. a guitar with no controls on it at all? that'd be sexy as hell. use a 5 pin xlr connector between the guitar and the box for your pickup connections and the ground.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This is absurd. You've asked FAR too many times.
Including this thread, you have SIX threads on this project.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167335
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166040
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170666
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171366
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171622

You must stop making new threads on the same project.

Pick ONE of the threads (that is still open) out of the ones listed above and use it.
Else you're gonna get ALL your threads closed and a warning to go with it.

Flooding the forum like this is intolerable.
Please stop.

Thanks.

1) All of my previous thread have ended in dead-ends. I've tried two methods, asking all at once and asking in individual chunks so that I can put everything together myself. Neither seems to be working here. Also, they are NOT all about the same thing. Only two of those posts overlap. The rest of them are subsets of the whole, which appears in this thread. One of them is unrelated (the ABY box).

2) You sent me to the "ultimate wiring thread" which is really the "ultimate dead end and spaghetti thread". There is no way to BUMP a post there. My post in that thread was a complete waste through no fault of my own and shouldn't be used against me.

3) Are you the moderator? If so, why are you picking on me for trying to get answers? I'm an active contributor in other musician forums that are related to my area of expertise. I happen to be a newb with wiring.

4) What else would you suggest? I'm open to constructive criticism. However, if I don't get results, I don't give up. This forum is full of threads with unanswered questions.

EDIT: "Pick ONE of the threads (that is still open) out of the ones listed above and use it. Else you're gonna get ALL your threads closed and a warning to go with it." Ok, I'll stick with this thread. How many times can I BUMB it?
Quote by noisefarmer
i meant 2 1/4 jacks as a way to visualize how to move stuff to an expression pedal. i havent gone to sleep yet and my brain is a bit fried right now.

an expression pedal is always passive. it's just a foot controlled pot.

controlling the entire blend with one expression pedal could be done. stereo outs from the guitar into a panning pedal, then after that have your volume pedal.

if you wanted to get really slick you can have all your controls on the floor. stomp switches for phase and series/parallel and pots for tone all in one box. actually that would look pretty damn awesome. a guitar with no controls on it at all? that'd be sexy as hell. use a 5 pin xlr connector between the guitar and the box for your pickup connections and the ground.

I have an expression pedal, I just need a jack, located on the instrument to plug it into. The expression is controlled via a swivel axis on my volume pedal. So, yeah, everything but the pedal needs to be located on the guitar itself and be part of the blend knob, somehow.
The beautiful part of the ultimate wiring thread is that you could make your own diagram based on the first page. You should look at it.

SD has a diagram for single coil phase reversal clearly labeled as such on their website.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by C/ruel
The beautiful part of the ultimate wiring thread is that you could make your own diagram based on the first page. You should look at it.

Now, I'm starting to feel dumb. I've read that first page several times. I've followed a lot of links. I still can't find a diagram for series/parallel switching for two single coils. Maybe I'm one of those that cannot be helped.
Quote by C/ruel

SD has a diagram for single coil phase reversal clearly labeled as such on their website.

you are absolutely right, I found that. I consider that a chunk of the puzzle that is completed. The Killswitch as well.
Quote by noisefarmer

I've actually thought about this idea. The problem is that playing pedal steel requires one foot on the volume pedal and the other on the changer pedals. I think it will be easier to have the controls on the instrument as there is already a fairly large control plate to work with that would otherwise be wasted space.
Quote by Sabicas
1) All of my previous thread have ended in dead-ends. I've tried two methods, asking all at once and asking in individual chunks so that I can put everything together myself. Neither seems to be working here. Also, they are NOT all about the same thing. Only two of those posts overlap. The rest of them are subsets of the whole, which appears in this thread. One of them is unrelated (the ABY box).
Previous post edited.

Five threads is still ridiculous. If you had kept them all completely separate, presented one issue a time, and allowed each issue to come to a conclusion, you would have been been less annoying. You did not.

You keep running into "dead ends".
This should tell you something about how you present your threads.
Clear concise OPs get useful replies.

Improve on the quality of your threads, not the quantity.

Quote by Sabicas
2) You sent me to the "ultimate wiring thread" which is really the "ultimate dead end and spaghetti thread". There is no way to BUMP a post there. My post in that thread was a complete waste through no fault of my own and shouldn't be used against me.
MANY users have gotten great help from that thread.
Dead end? No.
Simple forum etiquette there: Wait for a reply.
If you don't get one and your post falls back a page, you may repeat your post on the new page.
This is not rocket science. Use common sense.

Learn patience.
The people who are capable of answering a particular question are not ALWAYS online.
Sometimes it takes days for the right person to see your thread or post.

Quote by Sabicas
3) Are you the moderator? If so, why are you picking on me for trying to get answers? I'm an active contributor in other musician forums that are related to my area of expertise. I happen to be a newb with wiring.
I am not a Moderator and I am not "picking on you", per se.

Being new to wiring is no excuse for abusing the forum system.

I would be giving the same reply to anyone who has been abusing this forum the way you have.

Most moderators don't have time to explain in detail.
They'll just warn or ban you first to stop the behaviour.
Then answer any questions you might have afterward.

Stop being defensive and learn from what I'm telling you.

Quote by Sabicas
4) What else would you suggest? I'm open to constructive criticism. However, if I don't get results, I don't give up. This forum is full of threads with unanswered questions.
Tenacity is a good thing, within reason.
But taken to the point of abuse, it will cause you grief.

Make better posts. Make better threads.
Realize that not all questions can be answered by the people on this forums.
Making a pest of yourself will NOT bring people online who can help you.
But it might cause people who would have been willing to help you to start ignoring you.

AND in the process you'll also be causing clutter that will impede others from getting help they need and deserve.

There will ALWAYS be unanswered questions. This is not unique to UG or GB&C.

Quote by Sabicas
EDIT: "Pick ONE of the threads (that is still open) out of the ones listed above and use it. Else you're gonna get ALL your threads closed and a warning to go with it." Ok, I'll stick with this thread. How many times can I BUMB it?
You want to stick with this cluttered, whiney mess?
Suit yourself.

Use proper judgment when bumping.
If you're only doing it to push the thread back to the top of the index, you can do that ONCE.

Good luck
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 29, 2009,
I'm not trying to make trouble and you are right about my lack of patience. However...............

"You want to stick with this cluttered, whiney mess?
Suit yourself."

AND

"If you don't get one and your post falls back a page, you may repeat your post on the new page.
This is not rocket science. Use common sense."

are both completely contradictory to your anti-abuse points. You really want me to repeat the exact same question on two different pages of the same thread? Really? You really want me to abandon any thread that becomes cluttered?

Let's say I ask an original question, then get some new ideas along the way, like adding so-and-so switching, etc. Do I convolute the original topic of the thread? Or do I start a new thread?

The first page of the "Ultimate" thread is useful and I learned a lot. Thanks for that.

The skinny is, I'm currently unemployed (read, not spending money) and in somewhat of a rush to get this done. I usually pay someone to mod my stuff and i've never learned how to do it myself. None of this is anyone's fault but my own.

I'll try to keep my posting under control, in the future.
TS, use the wiring thread. People click "last page" to get to all the recent posts/ If they miss yours, post it again on a NEW PAGE of the thread.

Since you have decide to use this thread, I have closed the others.

This should go in the wiring thread. Regardless of new ideas along the way, etc., it goes in the designated thread. So why should I leave this abortion of a thread open?

Post all of your wiring-related questions in the wiring thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
TS, use the wiring thread. People click "last page" to get to all the recent posts/ If they miss yours, post it again on a NEW PAGE of the thread.

Since you have decide to use this thread, I have closed the others.

This should go in the wiring thread. Regardless of new ideas along the way, etc., it goes in the designated thread. So why should I leave this abortion of a thread open?

Post all of your wiring-related questions in the wiring thread.

Ok, so........I should stop posting in this thread as well?

Would a sub-forum completely dedicated to wiring be more useful? I'll volunteer to moderate.