Page 1 of 3
What band changed your life? Made you think about the world differently? Got you into other music that you love? It doesn't have to be your favorite band, maybe it's the band that led you to your favorite band.

The band that changed my life actually isn't my favorite band. Mine is Nirvana. Up until I heard Nirvana I had just been listening to whatever my dad listened to. I remember exactly what I was doing, the weather, what I was wearing, everything about the first time I heard them. They opening me up to a whole other world of music. They taught me it was okay to be different. They taught me that we never really know anything, so why worry. That's why Nirvana changed my life.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
Hendrix, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine in that order.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Same thing you said except take out what my dad listened to and replace it with rap.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Mayhem, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas got me into black metal
In Flames got me into melodic death metal, which got me into all other subgenres of death metal
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Kalmah...

Never thought music could be so beautifully melodic and heavy as hell at the same time
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Between the Buried and Me.

My mind really opened up when I started listening to them.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
Simon and Garfunkel
Queen
David Bowie
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
When i first started listening to music, it was stuff like aerosmith and other classic rock, then sigur ros and my bloody valentine changed all of that
Radiohead.
Challenged and changed every convention I ever had about music. They're the ones who served as a gateway from pop music (in the broad definition) to alienating stuff like krautrock, shoegaze, indie, true alternative, noise, and industrial. Without Radiohead, I would probably be making fun of bands like My Bloody Valentine, Lou Reed, and Sonic Youth instead of idolizing them.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Jimi Hendrix and Metallica. I NEVER listened to rock until I got into both of those bands. I was just listening to anything popular. Metallica taught me to look closer and Jimi taught me that it was cool to like several styles of music.
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Blind Guardian has the be the first one, the song that actually got me into Metal (of sorts) being A Past and Future Secret.
Afterwards, the band really obsessing me would be Edguy, and then Demons and Wizards for another kind of Metal. xD
Quote by MusicalMinority
Radiohead.
Challenged and changed every convention I ever had about music. They're the ones who served as a gateway from pop music (in the broad definition) to alienating stuff like krautrock, shoegaze, indie, true alternative, noise, and industrial. Without Radiohead, I would probably be making fun of bands like My Bloody Valentine, Lou Reed, and Sonic Youth instead of idolizing them.
You have my sig!

Muse. I was just listening to music and kind of acknowledging it. But once I heard some Muse something snapped, and now I have this passion for music I never had before. Now my goal in life is to be a musician. I'm studying music at school. And it's the one thing I can't live without. If it weren't for them, I'd still be lazing around not doing anything constructive.
The first taste of anything heavier sounding (and when I started to really care for music) would have been about 10 years ago... Blink 182 - All The Small Things to be precise. Since then I have loved Pop Punk, and grown to also love 70's/80's Punk Rock. A lot of recent Pop Punk bands with that Pop edge to them (All Time Low, Panic At The Disco etc.) have also grown me to like a lot of Pop Rock bands too like Snow Patrol and they made me start listening to stuff like Radiohead also. But overall, I love Punk Rock/Pop Punk and the band that changed it for me is Blink 182. Nowadays I love all of those bands and Blink is still one of my favourites, but my three favourite bands have evolved in to Paramore, My Chemical Romance and Green Day (I like all of Green Day's music new and old because I love Punk Rock, Pop Punk and Alternative Rock like The All-American Rejects).
This will start a RIOT! in me
Last edited by Paramore. at Aug 1, 2009,
I think Creed actually got me listning to rock music. "Young Grow Old" was a rare Creed song that was never released on any of their albums. I heard that, and now I have all three of their CD's.
i began listening to good music with Kiss and Metallica.Before that i listened to Linkin Park and Lordi all day.
I'll say AC/DC got me into rock and roll. However, my taste has become a lot more focused on different genres, as well. I'll say that I only had a very big interest in rock music, or, music, period, after listening to Michael Jackson. This is long before he died. Back in 2006, I just became a huge fan of his. Now, I listen to alot of different music.
Ac/dc.
Please, call me Chewy...

Quote by Jack Off Jill
When I read the interview where Ozzy was talking about getting, "Johnny 5," I didn't think of John 5 at all. I was thinking he was talking about the robot from Short Circuit. I got really excited for awhile..

Last edited by Chewy Biscuits at Aug 4, 2009,
AC/DC, and GNR got me listening to rock music. before I was into... country <------ I shiver at this word now.
Quote by musicjunkie207
What band changed your life? Made you think about the world differently? Got you into other music that you love? It doesn't have to be your favorite band, maybe it's the band that led you to your favorite band.

The band that changed my life actually isn't my favorite band. Mine is Nirvana. Up until I heard Nirvana I had just been listening to whatever my dad listened to. I remember exactly what I was doing, the weather, what I was wearing, everything about the first time I heard them. They opening me up to a whole other world of music. They taught me it was okay to be different. They taught me that we never really know anything, so why worry. That's why Nirvana changed my life.

Mines was Pearl Jam. I was 6 when they first came out with "Jeremy" and liked singing along to the song but really got into them in High School once I found out what it meant. From there, I collected and listened to all their songs.

Another band that changed me was Rush, as they brought good music along with insightful lyrics.
Mine would be Tool who I loved for a combination of great music with insightful lyrics and on the other end of the scope, I had Opeth who made me such a better guitar player and gave me a more open musically.
Im happy
Blink 182. They were the first band that really got me into music and inspired me to play guitar. Through playing guitar I started listening to more types of music which led to me finding my favourite bands like Coheed and Cambria, Muse, Brand New and Thrice
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Green Day

American Idiot got me into all types of Rock, and i really related to their dookie and pre dookie stuff. Deffinately changed my life.
well, golden earring got me into classic rock... then i was way into journey and zeppelin, and refused to listen to/hated just about anything made after about '79, with several exceptions of course. then i started listening to alexisonfire and realized that there are still alot of talented musicians...

now i'm pretty into pop-punk and hardcore.

it'd be a close call between led zeppelin and alexisonfire...
Linkin Park and Guitar Hero (Yeah, I was a Guitar Hero fan boy, but not anymore)
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Father showed me Disturbed when I was about 8 or 9. I also learned of Linkin Park at that age from summer camp. Up until seventh grade I listened to New Wave and such (what my parents like). In seventh grade I learned about Coheed. Coheed led me to Metallica. Metallica to Lamb of God. LoG to everything now.
The first one was DEFINATELY Nirvana. They got me into Grunge in general. I may like metal, but my first and true love is grunge. Another would probly be Metallica, They got me into the heavy stuff. Lastly would have to be Tool. Idk why, but somethin about their strange time sigs and even stranger lyrical themes just catches my attention.
I must say, Linkin Park - Papercut.
First song I heard by Linkin Park, and the one that turned me to real music!
Linkin Park - Three Days Grace - Green Day - Escape the Fate - BFMV- KSE - Zeppelin haha
I discovered Queen in 7th grade. They were the first band I actually liked. Before that I just listened to the emo crap my sister liked, but I never really enjoyed that. Then a few of my friends introduced me to Iron Maiden and Frank Zappa. I began to actually listen to music fairly often. In high school, another friend introduced me to Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, which broadened my opinion of what was good music. Before I only like classic rock/metal. This friend also showed me Black Flag and Bad Brains. Now I'm in a hardcore punk band with him.

And then there's Blind Guardian and The Mars Volta. They blew my mind. I still haven't found all the scraps of my cerebellum. I think a few are still out in the yard. That's how blown my mind was. They didn't really change my life in a tangible way, but the first time I heard Battlefield and Wax Simulacra was monumental.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Aug 9, 2009,
I discovered bob dylan in year 3. My brother showed him to me, and when I heard that first intense, pounding snare drum beat at the very beginning of 'like a rolling stone', something went through me like a bolt of lightning. Ever since he's been my hero. If i met him i'd be more than happy to die at 14.

He, Bowie, Gary Numan, Lou Reed and Neil Young all changed my life.
Page 1 of 3