Why does everyone say a tube amp is the way to go? I played 2 Tube Marshalls (a Haze and a JCM if I recall) and they sounded just a tiny bit better than a new Marshall MG (which is one of the newer ones and doesn't sound as bad with it's "Crushing Overdrive")

Is there any legit reason everyone pushes tube amps? I can't see much of a difference, and I know that anyone who isn't an audio pro can't tell much of a difference if any between a SS and Tube amp.
Play them each live or try to record and mix each in a studio and you will see why.
Quote by Vlasco
Play them each live or try to record and mix each in a studio and you will see why.

Elaborate, please.
Well, chances are you havn't been playing long enough to tell the difference in tone. The main reason why people buy Line 6 Spiders is because they're beginners and don't know what sounds good and what doesn't. That's what I did at least. The other reason people buy Spiders is because the sales man pushes them into buy it.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
not louder

more harmonic noise from a tube amp, making it sound louder

and the mg is not comparible to a high quality tube amp. turn up the volume past 5 and you'll understand why
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by UNIe
That 'a little bit' is worth everything, dude ;]

XD

I did enjoy the sound of the tube more, but just for the price, it was kind of a letdown.

How "loud" do you have to play to get a good difference in tone out of a tube amp? I was only about on 3 in the store xD
Quote by Skierinanutshel
how loud were you playing?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you must not have been playing them too loud. tube amps sound better at higher volumes. and MG's sound like dying bees at any volume.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
if you can't tell the difference between a marshall JCM and an MG, then you obviously weren't playing that loud. I admit when the volume is at like 1 they sound similar but at halfway the MG wouldn't even compare.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
How "loud" do you have to play to get a good difference in tone out of a tube amp? I was only about on 3 in the store xD

6-10
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Ah.

That would explain alot.

Thanks xD

i lie, at around 5 on both amps, you can easily tell the difference in quality and you'll be like, "wow, the tube amp sounds so awesome." (oh, and try other companies of amps)
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
i lie, at around 5 on both amps, you can easily tell the difference in quality and you'll be like, "wow, the tube amp sounds so awesome." (oh, and try other companies of amps)

I would have liked to, but my local store only stocks marshalls, and the occasional used amp.
go to a GC then, and then only leave with a pack of strings/picks. lmao
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by TheBigProjekt

it depends on the amp. there are plenty of tube amps which sound better almost regardless of the volume (though granted they'll still tend to sound better turned up), but some other tube amps will need to be turned well up before they start sounding really good. i think the jcm2000s might be one of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It should be pointed out that this guy is June 09. Yo should wait for your ear to develop if you cant tell the difference between a JCM and an MG.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
It should be pointed out that this guy is June 09. Yo should wait for your ear to develop if you cant tell the difference between a JCM and an MG.

I played guitar for a year already, I signed up to this forum last month because I used the site alot.
Even if it´s kinda useless to say it now...

When you crank most SS amps you get a super high treble hiss that really hurts your ears and it doesn´t sound like part of your tone. It´s strange and it hurts.

Tube amps sound really good when you play them loud.

Digital amps are difficult to record in my experience. Mixing them into a band mix is really really really irritating. They lack the fullness of a tube amp that lets them sit in a mix and be heard.
One year of playing won't make you a tone god. I'm past the three year mark, and I'm only starting to understand tone.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I turned up my Line6 spider as far as it could go (with the aid of an RP50 turned up to 99) and it sounded great.

Just... loud. There was barely any hiss when I wasn't playing.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I played guitar for a year already, I signed up to this forum last month because I used the site alot.

As dissappointing to some as this may sound; how long you've played guitar for, says absolutely nothing even close to definitive about your experience with tone. I know guitarists who've been playing 10+ years who can't tell the difference between a cheap SS practice amp and an all tube high quality half stack.

Some things in this world have no short-cuts. You have to train you ear by experiencing, in person, the tones of every amp possible; good and bad.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I turned up my Line6 spider as far as it could go (with the aid of an RP50 turned up to 99) and it sounded great.

How many watts is your Spider III ?

And btw, how many years/ how good must you be before you make the transition over to Tube Amps ?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

You best be trollin' fool.

Using an RP50 in front of a Spider, and overdriving the input on the Spider... this sounds like a recipe for so much transistor distortion and computer glitching that it's painful to imagine. Also, you should be lucky you didn't damage the amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Aditya_ram
How many watts is your Spider III ?

And btw, how many years/ how good must you be before you make the transition over to Tube Amps ?

There's no answer to that question, when you can easily tell the difference between a tube amp, and a SS amp, and can afford a tube amp, then you're ready for a transition.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

It may sound good but the hiss is there. It isn´t part of the actual tone. I´ve run all sorts of Line 6 products alone, in front of amps, and other things. But no matter what that hiss is there. Except when run through headphones, where I wasn´t willing to crank the amp straight into my ears.

I think the tone can sound nice, but after 10 minutes I have to stop because I can feel my hearing begin to dull.
Quote by james.hetfield
how about marshall avt series?like marshall valve strate 150 watts

Forget Valve States.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'm probably in a minority of one, but I never much liked the sound of Marshall amps. Playing one it just sounded very muddy and I could never get it EQ'd to produce a decent sound for me. Although I use the singular, I've played about a dozen different ones over the years.
However, from an audience they sound okay and tend to match well with Strats, for some reason.
My old Roost is really a copy of a Sound City which was based on a Hiwatt. The few Hiwatts I've played through had everything I wanted and responded really well to a touch on the knobs. My one is not so crisp and on the odd occasions it comes out, I tend to use my Yale's pre-amp into the Roost power amp, which gives all the range I need. Yes my Yale is a SS amp but there's SS amps and there's SS amps.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

TS --

I felt the same way man. I couldn't really tell much of a difference when I heard them, but when I actually played out of one it was godly.

I'm not an audio pro, and I'm still learning about tone. But ****, when I compare my 5150 to my fender metalhead or the fender frontman I use to have ... well there's really no comparison. The day I played out of a 5150 was the day I understood the fuss about tube amps. I can't imagine the feeling of playing out of an even better amp ... one of these days.
Quote by Lurcher
I'm probably in a minority of one, but I never much liked the sound of Marshall amps. Playing one it just sounded very muddy and I could never get it EQ'd to produce a decent sound for me. Although I use the singular, I've played about a dozen different ones over the years.
However, from an audience they sound okay and tend to match well with Strats, for some reason.
My old Roost is really a copy of a Sound City which was based on a Hiwatt. The few Hiwatts I've played through had everything I wanted and responded really well to a touch on the knobs. My one is not so crisp and on the odd occasions it comes out, I tend to use my Yale's pre-amp into the Roost power amp, which gives all the range I need. Yes my Yale is a SS amp but there's SS amps and there's SS amps.

What kind of Marshall did you play?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz