So, you know Gracenote, the thing that when you put a CD in yr comp, it recognises the album and gets you the track names and such...

Well, I had a vinyl-ripping-session earlier and the most interesting thing happened....

Gracenote got me the song names and such.... For vinyls, that I essentially recorded to my computer.

HOW THE HELL does it know what vinyl I've just converted? Is there a little bloke at the other end of the internet listening to them?

I can understand how it would do it for CDs, seeing as the computer actually reads them and the info on them and such, but there's some serious witchcraft involved in getting the tracknames for vinyls that have no electronic type stuff about them.

Explain plz someone!
How exactly did you rip them onto your computer?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Gracenote is run by Harry Potter.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
PC converts LP to CD
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
That is messed up man! Me and my dad record vinyl onto the computer and that's never happened.... with like 100 records.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
I've never heard about it recognizing vinyls... maybe there is some old hippie on the other side of the internet, listening to them and saying "Yeah, that's totally Dark Side of the Moon."
Quote by rock.freak667
How exactly did you rip them onto your computer?

I've got a USB record player, so I can plug it in and convert them using some software.

I downloaded a newer version of the software (than I had on my old PC) and it has the Gracenote database, I'm just confused as to how it knows what I've just converted, seeing as it has no information like a CD would

Quote by thewho65
I've never heard about it recognizing vinyls... maybe there is some old hippie on the other side of the internet, listening to them and saying "Yeah, that's totally Dark Side of the Moon."

It's not even like its well known stuff like that, they're mostly fairly obscure indie stuff.
I'm pretty sure it does it by checking the lengths of all the songs eg an album with songs 3:14 then 3:56 then 2:33 then 4:34 would have to be whatever album.. so if you ripped it and got all the lengths of the songs the same as on the cd version when splitting the tracks then it should show up as if it were a cd.
I've only got singles though.

And the length is going to vary anyway, depending on how early I start and how late I stop recording. It's just weird.
is it EZ Vinyl Converter?
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Well, the vinyl probably has some info stored, such as some sort of ID number or whatever.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Yeah I wouldn't have thought it would work because that would be a bit too coincidental, but I'm pretty certain that is how it works because it's user submitted info and sometimes it'll show 2 cds and you have to pick which one, so it can't digital info tied to the disc.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by urbanfox

It's not even like its well known stuff like that, they're mostly fairly obscure indie stuff.

Then it's some hipster
From what I can gather, it works off track length, order and how many there are. You must've matched an entry into the CDDB and it was the right one. Someone has done what you did already I guess. Pretty cool.

edit - although if what I'm reading is correct, sometime around 2002 they were talking about implimenting a wavefrom analysis program to the system. So they could make "fingerprints" for like... every song that gets uploaded to the database. Could be they are using that now and it recognised the songs.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Last edited by Blayney at Jul 29, 2009,
I have no idea how that works, unless there is some sort of waveform analyser in there, but I didn't think there was. I've converted quite a few records myself (with a normal record player and my recording interface), and not once has it recognised the tracks for me.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.