Poll: Should I make a new myspace or keep the one I have and change the name?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I make a new myspace or keep the one I have and change the name?
Keep the myspace
9 41%
make a new myspace
13 59%
Voters: 22.
Hey, I just found out that my band name (solo project) is already taken by some band with a major record label.

I already made the myspace and I know that I'm gonna change the name question is:

My band name is Kura my myspace is myspace.com/kuramusic

Should I make a new myspace or should I keep this one (even though it has the band name in the domain name)?
Keeping the one you have now could lead to some confusion later on. I don't know how many people on myspace actually pay attention to domain names, though. I hardly ever do.
I'd probably keep the current one.
you can keep the same myspace but change the domain name and band name. i've done with a band or two
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
I didn't mean to advertise lol (that's a good idea though, I'll keep that in mind).

Is it permitted to have more than 1 myspace?

This'll be fun...
keep that one.

just change the band name

or you could just call your band "The Kura" lol
Guitar - Fender Jaguar HH Special (Black)

Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95

Zoom GFX - 3

Amp - Marshall MG100DFX

Band - Not Half Right
(www.myspace.com/halfrightmusic)
Quote by FrosteeFresh
you can keep the same myspace but change the domain name and band name. i've done with a band or two

how?

I thought it's impossible...
just an fyi, in this country's language "kura" means hen (as in the chicken)
also another question:

My old band (called the defrocked nuns) broke up a while ago, at the end there were only two of us (the 2 founders of the band). We Never officially broke up, we just stopped making music and stopped playing together.

I came up witht he name, can I use it or do I have to talk to the other member about it? (i'd prefer not to talk to him about the band).
Quote by thedefrockednun
also another question:

My old band (called the defrocked nuns) broke up a while ago, at the end there were only two of us (the 2 founders of the band). We Never officially broke up, we just stopped making music and stopped playing together.

I came up witht he name, can I use it or do I have to talk to the other member about it? (i'd prefer not to talk to him about the band).

I'd go with something less... offensive. I mean, go for it, but Lamb of God couldn't get a gig when they were called Burn the Priest.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Are you working in your area under the name Kura? By working, I mean "making money in such a way that income can be proven." If you are, then you don't need to change your name. You were working in that area first. The fact this other band has a label and might want to work in your area is *their* problem now. Not yours.

Their options are:
1. Buy you out for usage of the name in that market. I know this has happened before, but can't put my finger on the story at the moment. I do know of a book store that had their name bought out by a major bookselling chain when they opened up a store in their area, when they were already using the name.
2. Change their name in order to work in your area. Bush was known as Bush X in Canada (or all of N. America?) because of another Canadian band named Bush. Raconteurs are known as the Saboteurs in Australia, because there is a jazz band or something named the Raconteurs in Australia working under that name.
3. Hope that you'll either find out, or they'll tell you in hopes that you'll be afraid of this big bad record label and change your name at no cost or inconvenience to them.

If you are NOT doing business under that name, just using that name, then you're pretty much screwed. You will have to change it. Most courts consider major label support as doing business, or intending to do business globally.

About the defrocked nun name....

Unless you've registered the name officially under one or two people's names, then you all own it. If it was just the last two of you and the other guys quit, then their quitting essentially would be their way of giving up their rights to that business name. An employee at WalMart can send out something as part of business correspondance on WalMart letterhead. He is entitled to use the name because of his position and his association with the company. As soon as you quit the job at WalMart, your entitlement to use WalMart letterhead is no longer valid, as your association with that name has been terminated.

Now, with the two of you.... arguing which one of you quit whose project is really hair splitting and will never be resolved successfully if someone wanted to fight it. You would have to communicate with him to see if he minded you continuing to use the name. If it is a bitter split, then you might both lose on that battle, because you won't let him use it either.

Pretty sure that's how it would work anyways....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^^ great post as always AMC.

and congrats on your modhood, when did that happen?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Thanks!

Happened just yesterday or so. I'm still learning these new-fangled features.

I don't think I've screwed up yet, though...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

thanks amc, great advice as always.

I just found out that you can change the URL IF you have a musicians myspace.

So basically I need a new name....

At the moment it' Blue Morpho, what do you think of it?
^Genre? Lyrical themes?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Axemanchris, are you feeling okay? You're looking a little green...

The new 'blue morpho' myspace page looks cool (much better name too).

Bear in mind most of your traffic is going to be coming from people seeing your band's name and typing it into google, and from direct links, so the URL isn't really important.

But if you decide to, it'd be the work of perhaps 25 minutes to copy everything from the old domain to a newly created account - log in to the old and new in different browsers, then simply copy everything across. Adding back your 12 friends will take, what, two minutes?

With only 142 profile views, I really don't think moving to a new account is going to have hundreds of devoted fans up in arms...so do it now rather than later!
Thanks.

Good points too.

CT