i love to jam with my buddies. thing is i get to carried away trying to make things sound fast... which i actually detest.

does anyone have any idea on how to feel relaxed and feel the music?
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Drugs? Alcohol?

The comment under mine makes sense.
Last edited by Peultye at Jul 29, 2009,
lol tbh i like the drug sounding but i cant get a hold of them, never tried drugs anyways. im 14.

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Slow down.
Think about what you want to play.
Listen to what you actually play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok... does it matter if im sloppy?
(not madly sloppy but i sometimes am.)

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by Xeus
try playing a one note solo

seriously, it can sound awesome given the right context
Like he said, find one or two "good" notes (maybe the root, third, or fifth) and just hang on it (or them) for a good bit. Bend it, give it some vibrato, or just sing it out.

Quote by neo14085
ok... does it matter if im sloppy?
(not madly sloppy but i sometimes am.)
Listen to some Hendrix, and there's your answer. Seriously though, two of the best guitarists in the world, Hendrix and Keaggy have completely opposite styles. Hendrix is sloppy and all about overall feel and that gritty tone, whereas Keaggy is all about articulate, clean playing, getting a singing, clean, articulate tone, while still playing some pretty mind blowing riffs. They're both great in their own rights.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Slow down.
Think about what you want to play.
Listen to what you actually play.

+1
shred is gaudy music
Bending, sliding, vibrato. Try repeating some good slower licks that you come up with. A lot of great solos do that, no shame.

Also, don't do drugs.
i don't know why i feel so dry
yeh i do all that but i have a damn habit of landing on the same note to vibrato... like on a E pentatonic minor, i would more than likely vibrato the 12th fret on the G string.

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
"Listen to some Hendrix, and there's your answer. Seriously though, two of the best guitarists in the world, Hendrix and Keaggy have completely opposite styles. Hendrix is sloppy and all about overall feel and that gritty tone, whereas Keaggy is all about articulate, clean playing, getting a singing, clean, articulate tone, while still playing some pretty mind blowing riffs. They're both great in their own rights."

yeah, im sloppy in that sence tbh... putting hendrix as my one true idol was a pretty bad mistake in some cases xD i love his style though, its rubbed onto me and can never play things perfect, i always have to have something random or new in it with no gaps. (like say little wing, i wouldnt just play chords, id improvise around them)

EDIT: oops, sorry for the double post...

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Find the groove of the song and lock in. To get to the point where your playing is truly expressive, I personally believe that it needs to come from your subconscious. When you are really getting into the zone, you begin to express emotions that you did not even know you have even though they are an integral part of you.

Close your eyes and lock into the groove. Lock in so ****ing hard that it is all you are aware of. Let your body move to the groove and before you even know it your soul will be singing through the guitar.

There are players who think about what they want to play, and yes, it is important to have an intention to your playing so that it won't be meaningless rambling, but consider it like speaking. Before you say something, you don't think of every single word you are going to say, you have an intention of what you want to say, even though you don't know the exact words you will use. Self-expression on the guitar is nearly identical.

Read a book called the Music Lesson by Victor Wooten. He showed me the way.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by neo14085
i love to jam with my buddies. thing is i get to carried away trying to make things sound fast... which i actually detest.

does anyone have any idea on how to feel relaxed and feel the music?

well its kind of hard to teach something like that. you either feel the music or you dont. and you shouldnt be thinking speed is a bad thing. speed has nothing to do with feeling or a lack of it.

but really i find sometimes i become too concered with speed. what helps me is i just try to think more like im telling a story than just playing a solo. you have to really just make your solo go somewhere. soloing is all about building and releasing tension with the notes. to me, the best solos all seem to have a start, middle and an end. the start should lead us into the middle, which builds tension, and then the end should feel resolved. sometimes it can be long, short, slow, or fast. you need to just keep playing and it should come to you with experience.
If you want to play fast, you have to focus on technique sometimes. Build up your skills and just keep playing/practicing. And stay away from the drugs. Your either open minded or not. Being high is just faking it. Plus wouldn't that just make you more sloppy?