Hey guys I've been hunting for my first Tube amp recently and reading so many good reviews on so many different amps it's really hard to choose which one. I'm looking for a nice sounding clean channel and a little bit of a dirty distortion sound as well, I'm gonna be plugging in my Analogman ts-9 tubescreamer, boss compression sustainer, boss dd-3 delay and a few others...looking to play progressive rock (phish, mars volta, zeppelin, etc)

Some amps I've been considering...

Peavey Classic 30 - I played this at a local music store and it sounded really nice. I noticed the reviews some people said about how they have had non stop problems with them though and it does seem a little on the not so sturdy side.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Looking for some suggestions...looking at everything from VOX, Fender, Peavey, Marshall, etc. Thanks for the help!
Yeah I'm looking to buy used, don't wanna go over 5-600. The Peavey classic at the music store was 500 something and there is a hot rod deluxe for sale locally used for 500. I'm open to suggestions though.
i have heard of people cranking out the fender deluxe reissues and blowing tubes, i wouldn't worry about that too much though, unless you plan on gigging with it. personally i would go for the fender.

if you are willing to go used, you can nab a music man on ebay for around 500 to 600 usd. i own 3 and love them all, i can't get myself to buy overpriced fender stuff when you can still get twice the amp for half the cost [with music man].
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Omegamagi
Yeah I'm looking to buy used, don't wanna go over 5-600. The Peavey classic at the music store was 500 something and there is a hot rod deluxe for sale locally used for 500. I'm open to suggestions though.

Do you play in a band? If not I recommend the Blackstar HT5 range. Its only 5 watts but sounds amazing and wont kill your neighbours when you crank it, also look at marshall haze?
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
the fender is a nice amp and with the ts-9 im sure you could get a good crunch tone out of it. try watching some videos online of the amps you want and use that to narrow it down. good luck
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by JWZ28
Do you play in a band? If not I recommend the Blackstar HT5 range. Its only 5 watts but sounds amazing and wont kill your neighbours when you crank it, also look at marshall haze?

No I don't play in a band right now but I'm buying an amp in hopes of playing some shows in the near future just saw the thread about the Blackstar and saw some videos it looks like a good amp but then i would need a cab...i have a crappy crate half stack maybe i could use that cab?

I'm actually gonna test a marshall haze at a local music shop because i have some credit there and thats on of the amps they suggested, we'll see how it goes.
I've heard the Marshall Haze has been described as the MG with t00bz.

The blackstar comes as a combo too, which is actually the cheapest option out of the Ht-5 range
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Amps the employess at music stores suggest usually aren't good. ARe you try the haze 40 or 15? The 40 the cab makes it sound subpar from what I've read.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Amps the employess at music stores suggest usually aren't good. ARe you try the haze 40 or 15? The 40 the cab makes it sound subpar from what I've read.

Yeah I agree with this...not sure which haze it is they have.
A Classic 30 would be a good choice, just don't pay $500 for one, I've seen them for as low as $300 on Craigslist. See if you could find a used Crate V series or Palomino as well.

Also if you have a crappy crate halfstack the cabinet is probably crappy as well, yeah you can use it (if the ohms match up) but it most likely won't do your head justice.

EDIT: I've heard good things about the Vox Night Train as well.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
HT-5 Combo is pretty sweet but I love the Head's looks which swayed me, also 10 inch speakers put me off from the combo and the mini stack. I heard they can be a bit toppy,. Best bet is go try out the HT-5, Haze, Peavey's and see what you like,
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
+1 for vox night train. vox ac15 with your pedals would be pretty good, too.

i heard the HT5 isn't really great for band situations if you play clean, cause it's really kind of a higher gain amp and it's very small. that may not be an issue to you, and i've never played one, so i can't really comment on it. just passing on what i've heard.
I'd rather get a Fender Super Reverb than a HRD for the otne's you're looking for.
Check the Traynor YCV 40, it's awesome, it fits your description well, anf fits in your price range
I like the Night Train sounds amazing in the videos I saw but then I would have to get a cab too.

Will also check out the other suggestions, thanks!
Somebody above suggested a Vox AC15. I think that would be a great amp for what you are talking about. The HRD has a pretty good clean sound, but it's an awfully loud amp. If you are wanting to use your amp to practice at home, you aren't going to really get very good sound out of an HRD at bedroom volumes. I'm just not a huge fan of those amps. The only thing they do sorta well (aside from being really loud) is the clean channel and it definitely pales in comparison with the cleans on the next level Fenders.

I really think something like the Vox AC15 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb would be great for you. Much better tones at lower volumes with these amps imo. And frankly anything with a good clean channel that takes pedals well will nail the stuff you're wanting to play. Both od these two amps fit that description, though you might have trouble finding a used DR for $600.

I play a lot of Phish also, and if you've got a modded TS9 and a good sparkly clean channel, you can nail Trey's tone. Trey actually plays a Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Quote by Omegamagi
Peavey Classic 30 - I played this at a local music store and it sounded really nice. I noticed the reviews some people said about how they have had non stop problems with them though and it does seem a little on the not so sturdy side.
I bought one used 2 years ago and just sold it for $300. It was in perfect condition and never gave me a problem.
Just realized the first and last ones are the same amp and the last is $200 less
I'd contact the guy on the last Fender, and see if you can meet him and test it out. Seems like an extremely good deal for $250, I would certainly jump on that. There may be something wrong with it though, so make sure you ask.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Sorry to bump the **** out of this thread but i have $350 store credit at a local music shop so I'm gonna get something there...They mostly have Orange, Vox, and Marshalls.

Some options I have are

Orange Tiny Terror
VOX Night Train (really thinking about this one)
Marshall Haze 40

and some others...if I got the Night Train what would be a good Cab for it under $300
Reading the reviews for this amp and the fact that it's a combo and has reverb and tremelo, I might end up going with this one since they have it in stock there...Anyone tell me their opinion on the VOX AC15 ?
I just purchased the VOX AC15 Classic Combo and all I can say is WOW...what an amazing amp. I haven't even messed with it much yet I just plugged in with my SG and TS9 and right off the bat got an amazing tone, very impressed.
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
I'm really looking into the Vox once I sell my Orange. Seems like a great deal but I think I'd go with the one with the alnico blues speaker. Seems less spikey with the treble.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

The Classic 30 is easily one of the most reliable tube amps around. The only real problem people have is the tubes are unprotected, and damage from that is due to sheer stupidity.

I have had some problems with the (chinese made) AC15s and got rid of it for the Classic 30.
Quote by Gibshall
I'm really looking into the Vox once I sell my Orange. Seems like a great deal but I think I'd go with the one with the alnico blues speaker. Seems less spikey with the treble.

Do it!!!!! You will not be disappointed
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah