Okay,
I'm in a rock band and I'm the rhythm guitarist - actually I am willing to buy an AXL BADWATER SRO (EMG PICKUPS) I was so excited at the guitar in the very beginning and I played with it in the music store and it's just awesome, but then it turns out to be 21 fret not 22 fret - actually I love to Improvise at home and so..
but I don't know would a 21 fret limit me while playing?
so what do you think, should I go for the AXL 21 fret or look for a 22 fret guitar better?
Last edited by Snoopz at Jul 29, 2009,
The AXL has EMG designed pickups, not real EMG's as far as I know.

And 22 or 24 frets would be ideal for soloing.

But you'll be fine with 21, since you're rhythm.
It's presonal preference, really. But I for one would never go lower than 22.
it really doesnt matter, but IMO the AXL guitars are junk. They look all beat up to be cool but it's a big noob move. Check out some low end ibanez like the RG350's. Much much better deal, cause you probably dont wanna be a rhythm guitarist forever.
Quote by Snoopz
Okay,
I'm in a rock band and I'm the rhythm guitarist - actually I am willing to buy an AXL BADWATER SRO (EMG PICKUPS) I was so excited at the guitar in the very beginning and I played with it in the music store and it's just awesome, but then it turns out to be 21 fret not 22 fret - actually I love to Improvise at home and so..

so what do you think, should I go for the AXL 21 fret or look for a 22 fret guitar better?

So you like it, but it has 21 frets. But you like it.

I'm not seeing the cause of your turmoil here. Personally my fingers are too large and uncoordinated(Or at least at the moment,) to use much more than 21 accurately, so I wouldn't mind, but your call.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
personally, i wouldn't go for less than 22 since i play some covers that utilize that 22nd fret a lot on the first string. I alays felt too limited when i started playing on my dad's MIM strat.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I've yet to see anyone ever use fret 19 in a worthwhile fashion or on a regular basis, let alone frets 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24.

21 frets really shouldn't be a problem. Playing rhythm you'll probably never get anywhere near that high anyway, and when you do play lead it shouldn't be an issue - you've got to be a pretty crap and unimaginative lead guitarist if you need particular frets.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I've yet to see anyone ever use fret 19 in a worthwhile fashion or on a regular basis, let alone frets 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24.

21 frets really shouldn't be a problem. Playing rhythm you'll probably never get anywhere near that high anyway, and when you do play lead it shouldn't be an issue - you've got to be a pretty crap and unimaginative lead guitarist if you need particular frets.

I agree. Some of the best solos in history never get much past 17th (w/ whole bends to 19th). A lot of more inexperienced palyers assume a solo has to be in the upper registers to be cool.
Moving on.....
24 frets on a guitar make it look cooler...
And sometimes the frets are bigger on 24 fret guitars. Xtra-Jumbo ftw!

And you know, sometimes 24 frets helps a lot. I play in the upper frets when I transpose stupidly tabbed solos and I make them a hell of a lot easier because I don't have to shift my hand down 5 frets to get to the next note on the same string. Its easier to go down a scale than down a string IMO...

I'd want to hit E blues way up there for the hell of it, as well.
Quote by MrFlibble

Indeed the only time i've ever reached the 24th fret is to play the sweep to Psalm of Lydia aside from that i've never needed to go up that high nor felt as limited as well.
Quote by enselmis
it really doesnt matter, but IMO the AXL guitars are junk. They look all beat up to be cool but it's a big noob move. Check out some low end ibanez like the RG350's. Much much better deal, cause you probably dont wanna be a rhythm guitarist forever.

This, you'll eventually grow out of the whole ''rhythm guitarist'' thing.
I started off playing rhythm, but grew bored of it.
Once you start learning and practicing solos, you'll find that you will need the 22nd fret here and there.
Although its not that much of a big deal, you'll get really annoyed with only having 21.
If you like it, go for it. All my guitars have 24 frets and I like it that way because of the extra soloing possibilities and the fact there are two octaves of notes per string. But if the guitar feels right, then go for it.
meh may as well go w/ 22, you probably wont use it but doesnt hurt
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I want 24 for my next guitar, it just gives you the opportunity to play a larger variety of pieces etc.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
I used to have a strat with 21 frets and it doesnt bother me, loads of people go on about it but it really doesnt matter, loads of people have 24fret models but never use them, i for one cant very well because ive got big hands.

Just learn to bend up to it if needs be of invest in another guitar down the line
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by MrFlibble

I also agree.. I have only ever had 21 frets at the most, and my main gigging and practice guitar at the moment only has 20 frets, So I don't think 21 will limit your improvisation or your rhythm playing.

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
Quote by MrFlibble

You mustn't watch many shredders man...

Having the extra frets whether it be 22, 24 or upwards is more about having the option to use them if you want to rather than needing to use them regularly.

I wouldn't go lower than 22 frets, It is definitely useful and worthwhile. Just being able to bend up on the 22 fret of the high e for example is enough to place preference on a 22+ fret guitar.

I like feeling as unlimited by my gear as humanly possible.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
i think u can just tune ur guitar up but isnt the 22nd fret on the high e string a really odd note to use? i think ive only played it once in a metallica song ( i forgot which one) but if u use the 22nd fret on an string other than e u can play it somewhere else? or just get one of those pedals that go up an octave but i think tuning it differently would b the easiest
i think u can just tune ur guitar up but isnt the 22nd fret on the high e string a really odd note to use? i think ive only played it once in a metallica song ( i forgot which one) but if u use the 22nd fret on an string other than e u can play it somewhere else? or just get one of those pedals that go up an octave but i think tuning it differently would b the easiest

22nd fret, E string is a D note. Nothing weird about that at all. With regards to tuning it differently, tuning up increases the risk of breaking a string, not to mention that you've no longer got the same barre/open chord shapes, which is kinda important for a rhythm player.

Back on topic... Artificial harmonics are the way I'd get to notes off the end of the fretboard (past a step/step and a half past the last fret). It's nice to have 2 octaves on the fretboard, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity (for me, anyway). Unless I used the extra fret/s a lot, or in fast phrases where I can't easily bend/harmonic it, I'd buy the guitar with a better overall feel/tone/etc over having an extra fret.
Quote by MopMaster
22nd fret, E string is a D note. Nothing weird about that at all. With regards to tuning it differently, tuning up increases the risk of breaking a string, not to mention that you've no longer got the same barre/open chord shapes, which is kinda important for a rhythm player.

Back on topic... Artificial harmonics are the way I'd get to notes off the end of the fretboard (past a step/step and a half past the last fret). It's nice to have 2 octaves on the fretboard, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity (for me, anyway). Unless I used the extra fret/s a lot, or in fast phrases where I can't easily bend/harmonic it, I'd buy the guitar with a better overall feel/tone/etc over having an extra fret.

i meant that if you tune all the strings up one fret that way the chords r the same and i really dont think that tuning a string up by just that much will really increase ur chance of breaking a string. its only a half step

artificial harmonics r a great suggestion +10
Quote by MrFlibble

I was thinking the exact same thing.
I see people use frets 19-22 very well all the time. I also see 24 used practically as well.

I´m also an avid listener of romantic and baroque area music where the 24th fret on a guitar is not a high note at all. I think saying that a solo should be limited to a small range because you "don´t/can´t use high notes well" is the dumbest thing I´ve ever heard.

People never complain about the distaste of high notes on a violin or a piano - why on guitar, which isn´t a high pitched instrument to begin with?

That all aside, if you have to ask yourself whether you need the fret or not, you probably don´t. I personally like having at least 22.
Last edited by Vlasco at Aug 3, 2009,
You get better higher fret access, because of the position of the neck join but that's about it.
All you're actually missing out on is one note. Even then, it's pretty unlikely you'll use it in one solo.

If you like the guitar, you should get it. If a 22nd fret was needed that badly, and it was used all the time, then Fender would have gone out business a long time ago.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I started on a 21 fret. It limited my progress a bit because everything I wanted to learn needed 22 frets, and the solo was too quick to just bend.

Plus AFAIK, 22 frets is pretty damn common.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄