Hey everyone,
I have just begun sourcing information and resources for my Industrial Design honours paper. I am writing it on the form language, aesthetics, & ergonomics relating to guitar design and manufacture.
I'm going down the path of progression from engineered forms and designs used for acoustic guitars, and how they in turn influenced electric guitar body design. Also why "classic" forms such as Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, SG's etc. have been staples in guitar design and why , unlike other product design, the forms haven't changed dramatically. This can be said for most musical instruments.

I'm looking for any feedback, links, resources, opinions, & pretty much anything along these lines. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

It hasn't changed for 2 reasons: 1. If it isn't broken, don't fix it (except, of course, for the parker fly design, that's a very large improvement). 2. Guitarists are really freakin' conservative people. I mean come on, we still use cloth covered wire on pickup leads.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I look for exotics (Xiphos, ML, Razorback, Warrior, Mockingbird, etc.), but I do love an LP shaped guitar.

But even the exotic shapes haven't changed any. Namely the Mockingbird, ML and Razorback.

I think guitar makers are running out of ideas to make an "original" guitar. Most guitars are <this guitar> mixed with <this guitar> nowadays.

I dunno, but I want a guitar shaped like a peanut (it has to look like one, too!) and the headstock to say GG. I think that would be a major step in guitar form.