OK!

Recently I have been faced with the decision of keeping my current set-up or going for something new.

At the moment I use a ENGL Screamer 50 with a Boss GT-8. I used to get more out of my GT-8 when I didn't have the Screamer but now I'm using it primarily for the Delay and ability to switch the Lead channel on/off.

For those unfamiliar with the Screamer 50, there are 4 channels, [two channels - lead/clean - with both low and high gain modes]. However the AmpCtrl function of the GT-8 doesn't allow me to change between these how I would really like. I usually leave Hi-Gain on and let the pedal switch between clean/lead, however I can't get a true clean sound because Hi-Gain is always switched on; I usually get around this by reducing the signal going to the amp (using the GT-8) at the same time I switch channels, however this is far from perfect and a little inconvenient.

ENGL sell a footswitch that does do what I would like but as far as I remember it's about as expensive as a Boss GT-8. If I was to buy it, I would only really be using the GT-8 for its Delay, Reverb and Tuner.

Taking this into consideration recently I was thinking of just getting a dedicated Delay and Tuner unit, as well as a few other pedals to tighten my sound a little better. I also was looking at the selection of pedal boards PedalTrain offer to keep any new pedals tidy.

All in all, if I sold my GT-8, got the footswitch as well as the pedals I would need I would be spending a significant amount of cash, but my set-up would finally work how I want and require it to.

Am I being stupid? Is there an easier solution to my problem, or do you think as a Full-Time musician I should go for the more expensive option and invest in a few single pedals and the ENGL footswitch?

Thanks if you got this far!
Bring back Tabo
I don't think your being stupid at all. I like single pedals myself. If your multi breaks your out of luck. And I think 1 pedal dedicated to delay or chorus etc. Will sound better and be easier to manipulate the sound you want. More so than a multi fx unit. IMO
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Is the footswitch the Z-4 model? If so, you can buy similar dual swtiches, generic ones, for about 20$ and they do the same job
I think they're 2 footswitch imputs on that model right?
A friend of mine has a Screamer 50 and the Z-5 footswitch and he loves it. Personally I think it is completely insane to charge that much for a footswitch, but at the same time... there's no substitute for a footswitch that controls your amp exactly the way you need it to.
why don't you use a z4 if you're just gonna switch channels with it?

http://www.engl-amps.com/z4.html

there's also Engl Z3 footswitch but it's not listed on the site anymore. it's about 30 euro but looks real cheap

and agree on the massively overpricing of these pedals.. they should ship their amps with at least a footpedal imo
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
i use a generic 4 pedal footswitch for my screamer. one switch for the hi/lo volume control, one for reverb, one switch to change to high gain and one swtich to change to lead. if you want to go right from clean to lead it is easy enough to press down both switches at the same time. works like a charm and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Quote by Business
Is the footswitch the Z-4 model? If so, you can buy similar dual swtiches, generic ones, for about 20$ and they do the same job
I think they're 2 footswitch imputs on that model right?
Quote by angl2k

there's also Engl Z3 footswitch but it's not listed on the site anymore. it's about 30 euro but looks real cheap

and agree on the massively overpricing of these pedals.. they should ship their amps with at least a footpedal imo

The Z3 and Z4 would both require me to stomp twice to go from clean to lead, this unfortunately can sound a little messy when paying live, I really need a quick, clean transition from clean to lead.

Quote by joe_k
i use a generic 4 pedal footswitch for my screamer. one switch for the hi/lo volume control, one for reverb, one switch to change to high gain and one swtich to change to lead. if you want to go right from clean to lead it is easy enough to press down both switches at the same time. works like a charm and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I was considering this but quickly decided it was a bad idea. While it's possible to hit both at once, there's always the chance that you'll mess up - I really can't afford that risk during a live set.

Quote by jimtaka
A friend of mine has a Screamer 50 and the Z-5 footswitch and he loves it. Personally I think it is completely insane to charge that much for a footswitch, but at the same time... there's no substitute for a footswitch that controls your amp exactly the way you need it to.

It is a bit disgusting but it's looking like my only option.

There's one thing I'm not sure how I would do if I got rid of my Boss GT-8. For one of the songs my band plays I require the clean to have a certain delay on it, whereas the lead channel doesn't. I can quite easily achieve this in one pedal press using my GT-8 but don't think it'll be just as easy as that with single effects. How do professional musicians do this live, do they bite the bullet and hit the two (or three!) pedals, or is there some way to set that up with a A/B box or something.
Bring back Tabo
You could get a TC G-Major and use that to channel switch. Then use the GT-8 as the midi controller for the whole rig. I do this using the XT live as my controller and it works a charm.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by angl2k

+1

the z3 is really cheapo, I've got some. I'm guessing you could even consider other brands' 2-button footswitches, they're likely better than the cheapest engl ones.

EDIT: oh ok, you're not willing to footswitch twice, sorry.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?