Here's how the story goes: I'm really, really tired of my Epi's stock clunkers. I need something that's defined and responsive but not harsh for the bridge, and a neck pickup with clear cleans and reasonably good distortion. Here's the thing: I don't have much money to spend on pickups, so I'm going for GFS.

My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 75 (don't any of you DARE jump on the "YOU N33D T00BZ TO HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" bandwagon, I don't have the money for a new amp nor do I want one, oh and I CAN hear the difference).
Most of the stuff I play on my LP is anything from Blues to metallica-like metal.
I was thinking Dream 90/ Fat pat.

Thanks in advance.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I dislike GFS, I would save up for something like Duncan '59s or '59/JB at the very least...
Y0u n33d t00bz.

Not really because I know how muddy and horrible Epi stock pups are. I would just go for the Crunchy Pats. A little bit extra output and a PAF-esque tone, albeit not the highest quality pickup. I have a pair of them in my homemade guitar and they sound not bad. Definitly worth the 22 bucks i paid each.
Quote by al112987
I dislike GFS, I would save up for something like Duncan '59s or '59/JB at the very least...

Al, you know, I would, but I'm on a very tight budget.

I was thinking doing their version of a Custom/'59 combo (I THINK that's a Crunchy Pat/ Vintage '59 set)
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Crunchy PAT/vintage '59 sounds about right, though spec wise, a ceramic magnet will never make for a PAF sounding pickup, keep in mind that you can find used Seymour Duncans for fairly cheap.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 29, 2009,
I love my Fat Pat, do that and a Vintage '59.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Or Mean 90s, im planning on picking some up for my Epi Dot
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
You can definitely find a used Seymour JB and '59 for about $40 each (assuming that's your price range, based on the GFS prices)
Strats & Seagulls
I'd get a Classic II for the neck, and a VEH for the bridge
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I'd get a Classic II for the neck, and a VEH for the bridge

you know, I didn't even think about the VEH.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I really wanna try some VEH pickups in my OLP MM1. Maybe end up with a poor-man's Wolfgang.

As for the Epi in question, I'd go for some GFS pickups for sure. It's not a mega dollar guitar so why bother with really expensive pickups. Browse around the GFS site and listen to the available clips. They sound actually really nice for the money, like, it's hard to beat two pretty good pickups for $50 shipped right? My Dimarzio's were close to $90 each if I recall.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...