I'll start by saying that my band has been playing together and gigging for about 3 years now. We're fairly well known around town, have won some battles, played a lot of shows... we enjoy it how it is.

We were debating getting a second guitarist or not, though. We're currently a trio, I sing and play guitar. We find that we can't cover a lot of songs due to only having one guitar. I make it work for a lot of stuff, but not for everything. Is it better in the long run to have a second guitar, or does the badass-ness of a trio outweigh that?

Also, how are name changes looked upon? Our old singer chose our current name, and none of us really like it right now, but we're known by it. Would a name change by appropriate or no?

Thanks for the help, UG.
Green Day and Goo Goo Dolls are both 'trios' in the studio, but bring an extra guitarist with them on the road for live work.

Your audience will care a LOT more that you sound better than they will about how many people are or are not in your band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You can use changing your name and bringing in an extra guitarist to drum up a load of hype about your band if you synchronise the two events and ram it down people's throats via Myspace, etc etc etc. Make it work for you.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The whole trio thing isn't based solo on the badass-ness of a trio, it's that the trio works really good for us. Our musical styles fit perfectly, it feel right, but we're thinking we're gonna need a second guitar in the studio anyways.

I'm gonna ask a few people about playing second guitar I suppose, see if anyone fits the line up well.
Is the bad-assness of a trio relevant when you're a cover band?
If you're getting a lot of gigs now, wouldn't all another band member do is reduce your paycheck?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Is the bad-assness of a trio relevant when you're a cover band?
If you're getting a lot of gigs now, wouldn't all another band member do is reduce your paycheck?

We're not a cover band, we write our own material. We play a few covers every show. We usually do 14 song sets, usually 4 of the songs are covers.

The money isn't really an issue anyways, we really just care about exposure, we have jobs for our source of income.

Oh, and the band name is The Rivived at the moment, which we'll probably change.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're not a cover band, we write our own material. We play a few covers every show. We usually do 14 song sets, usually 4 of the songs are covers.

In that case you're considering getting an extra guitarist just for 4 songs out of 18. That's not required.

Something else that isn't required is more covers, if you're an original band.
Soundcloud
In my opinion the 2nd guitar brings fullness and a load more sound to a band. My opinion may be biased because im a rhythm guitarist but im also a singer and i know that it takes a ton off of my back if i need to miss a note to hit a sertain vocal pitch when i have another guitar that will hit that note and make it seem like nothing happened. (im not promoting missing notes for singing . It just happens sometimes)
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
Quote by AlanHB
In that case you're considering getting an extra guitarist just for 4 songs out of 18. That's not required.

Something else that isn't required is more covers, if you're an original band.

Yeah, so does the second guitar seem unnecessary then? We could always add more guitar parts into our originals, but they sound great how they are now.
My band has two guitarists and he taught me a lot of things. Be open, maybe a second guitarist will help better yourself as one.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
My band has two guitarists and he taught me a lot of things. Be open, maybe a second guitarist will help better yourself as one.

That's a good point

Any other thoughts on the name change? Is it too late to do it, will it cause confusion, or what?
Change the name if you guys don't like it. Tell all your fans about this change by having a final show under your old band name.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
A second guitarist can be both a good and a bad thing. A second guitar player can add a whole new dimension to your music. They can also be a useful as another source to write music as well as bounce ideas off of. On the other hand, since you guys have been playing together for a long time, you probably won't be as close with this new guy as you are with your current bandmates, which can be awkward. Also, guitar players can sometimes have conflicting ideas/opinions or argue over who is playing rhythm/lead in which song or just let their egos take over.

Basically, if you can find someone who has chemistry with the rest of the band, and can fill a role in the band, then go for it.

As for the name change, if you guys aren't signed to a big label or aren't a national touring act, you're probably okay. Just make sure everyone is aware of the change, and perhaps give a brief explanation as to why you're changing the name, or the meaning behind your new name. A blog, a few myspace bulletins, and maybe a short video on your webpage with your band members talking about the change will be sufficient.

EDIT:
Quote by soundgarden19
Tell all your fans about this change by having a final show under your old band name.

I like this idea, except I would be afraid of the possibility that people mistakenly think that it's the band's last show, as in they're breaking up. Instead of promoting it as the band's last show under the old name, I would promote it as the band's first show under the new name.
Last edited by CDubDSP at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Yeah, so does the second guitar seem unnecessary then? We could always add more guitar parts into our originals, but they sound great how they are now.

I wouldn't particularly like it if I had to rewrite my parts for original songs that I'd been playing for 3 years. You should not be concerned with the covers - if you are an originals band, you should keep those to a minimum as in "don't learn any more".

If you're happy with the sound of the originals now, there's no need to change them.
Soundcloud
my band started off having two guitars, but the songs sound good enough with just one, so we're sticking to a trio and got rid of the other guy. he didn't contribute his own parts and had conflicting personality. didn't really fit in. check us out artists.ultimate-guitar.com/rivercardwinner

/shameless advertising
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by TasianSensation
my band started off having two guitars, but the songs sound good enough with just one, so we're sticking to a trio and got rid of the other guy. he didn't contribute his own parts and had conflicting personality. didn't really fit in. check us out artists.ultimate-guitar.com/rivercardwinner

/shameless advertising

Nice advertising. Haha

But I've found someone that we're interested in filling the guitar part. We used to jam with him back when I drummed for the band, so we know what his style is like and whatnot, and he's a good friend so he fits in well. I'm gonna see how this works out.

And we're currently discussing new names. Thanks for all the help guys.