I've started with an old squier strat and i am about to start my project of replacing most of the parts and ultimately making it a much better guitar. My question for you all is in regards to the order of updating. I'm starting college this fall so i don't want to spend a whole lot of money, so i have decided to either upgrade the neck or pickups first. Both are stock as of now, so which would be worth the first upgrade? Neither of them are very good in my opinion, the pickups seem tinny and the neck is slightly warped, but only a few notes are affected.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
Pickups first! Don't rule out humbuckers (if you have a SSS strat) either, you can always get a new pickguard that fits humbuckers. For the neck, make sure that everything is setup properly (truss rod, action, intonation) before you decide it has a problem.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Gotta go with the neck first. What good are new pickups if you can't play the guitar comfortably to make the music? Plus a really nice playing neck will allow you to play easier and you'll love playing the guitar more and more. You've already got a good amp, so the pickups won't matter a whole lot, but they do need to be upgraded down the road. Neck gets my vote.
♪♪♪♪♪ Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start....♪♪♪♪♪

A.) Neck - Adjust the truss rod to get the neck straight, don't worry about the buzzing or action just yet, get the neck straight. Squiers often have very good necks for the money.

B.) Fret leveling - once they are level, crown any that were flattened during leveling.

C.) Action - make adjustments on the bridge, and if necessary, file the nut. Personally, I would replace the nut with bone, Tusq, graphite, etc.

D.) Tuners - make sure you are winding properly so the strings don't slip. If you want, you could replace them. This takes care of the playability stuff, now on to electronics....

E.) Electronics - (no, not pickups yet!) First take a look at your 5-way switch, maybe replace it, especially if it is noisy or rough to operate. Now you should evaluate your pots and pickups. If you replace pickups, you might as well replace pots too, because it is easiest to do it all at once. I'd shield the cavity too, but that's up to you.

You should always address playability first. No matter how good your new pickups are, if the guitar buzzes or doesn't play well, you won't play it.