Have any of you UG Bass enthusiasts tried a MB Bass 400+? I have found a pretty schweet deal on one used on Craigs...and just wondering your thoughts...

Things i know-
-it's heavy
-it's expensive to retube
-it's heavy
-it's expensive to retube
-it's made by Mesa...

That's what i know...so don't bother repeating those...as i already have.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
It's also discontinued.

mountaindew88 said it's the best amp he's ever played. I played it and found it to be solid if not completely unremarkable.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
lol...thanks, fitz...

I know mountaindew88...he's the guy i bought my thumb from...i will message him about it. Would you say it gets punchy, while still retaining clarity? think mudvayne.
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
I will say it's a tube amp. That's what I'll say.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
will it kick the crap out of my genz? in a good way?

I only ask because i have never tried a tube powered amp for more than an hour...and that was a SVT-CL
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Personally? I'd take the Genz Benz in the blink of a friggin eye over the Mesa. Twice over. But I'm me. I have the best bass tone I've ever heard and simply put a tube amp with a straightforward EQ is not a part of that equation. That's just my approach, though.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I like it, it was the best sounding tube amp I'd ever played. running a CIJ deluxe jazz, it sounded really good. if switching heads onstage gets easier someday, I'll have one to run along with an SWR or something.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm on my third Mesa tube amp. The first was a 400+ that died in a freak accident, the second was an original Bass 400, and I currently have a brand-new 400+. It's killer. It's not heavy for a tube amp at all.... both it and the SVT put out around 300 watts, but the 400+ weighs 45 pounds while the SVT weighs 90 pounds or more, depending on the year.

If you want a Ryan Martinie tone with the Thumb, just stick with your Genz. The Mesa is a tube amp, and tubes have a squishy tonality to them that works well for fat, full, smooth tones. It IS punchy and clear for a tube amp, but not in the way you'd want. I mainly play smoother styles; I try and get a tone similar to Ben Kenney's from Incubus. Huge, warm, and clear. Still, if you're thinking "Ryknow" or "Dirk Lance" or something, you're better off with solid state. The 400+ isn't uber-hifi and it lets you know it.

I did get the opportunity to try it with my hardcore/progressive band before we split ways, using my Stingray with rounds. I got a crazy, nasty, gritty sound similar to Liam Wilson of The Dillinger Escape Plan. It was really cool. But the best part is that I can get really good, smooth sounds from the same amp using my P-Bass with flats and a pick.

As far as retubing expenses, if you get bias pots installed you can make those 6L6s last forever. Tubes and transistors actually have equal service lives. Nonetheless, a full retube would cost you about $250, or more for nicer tubes.

Hope that helped.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jul 30, 2009,
i have a 400+

i love it, best rig i've ever played through. i can't recommend it enough.

its not terribly heavy. i suggest a rack case with very good handles though.
I play bass!
thanks, kevin. and thank the rest of you for all your thoughts. I have decided after my FET channel blew on my amp that I had to take it in to Music Go Round to sell it. It just freaking stopped working...@##$!
But alas... My luck was about to change

Good news! It worked in the store when the employee tried it out and they bought it for the price of the Mesa on Craigs...i am gonna mess with the mids a little and try out a few compressors but if i really don't like it...i am sure i can sell it back for more than I paid...

THank you all again!
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5