So I've been looking into buying a new pedal for a little while now, and I've been thinking either a delay or a compressor. I was gonna get the MXR Carbon Copy, but after reading some lack-luster reviews on it, I've decided to wait until the Malekko 616 comes out, just for comparison.

So I've turned my attention more towards compressors. I recently tried both the EHX Soul Preacher and MXR Dyna Comp at a local music store, but I wasn't too big on either of them, so I left. Figured I'd be better off saving up some more money and buying a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone instead. However, while I was at the store, I did see a used Barber Tone Press going for $100. At the time, I didn't know anything about it, so I unfortunately didn't get the chance to try it out; cosmetically, it seemed to be in good shape, and I would imagine that the functionality of the pedal is as good as new.

I went home, did a little bit more research, and saw that the Barber Tone Press is a pretty nice compressor pedal. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to that store and purchase it. So, to people who have tried the Tone Press, Philosopher's Tone, or just know a thing or two about compressors, I'm just looking for some general advice:

Is $100 for a Barber Tone Press a good deal?

Is this a pedal that I'll love for the rest of my life, or will I sometime down the line wish that I had just saved up the money for the Philosopher's Tone instead?

How does the sustain on the Tone Press fair? So far I haven't been able to find a good audio clip just demonstrating the sustain... I'd be surprised if it could generate the degree of sustain emitted from the Philosopher's Tone, but I would like to know how close it comes.

How noisy is the Barber Press- or the Philosopher's Tone, for that matter? I don't have room in my pedal board for a noise gate, so if it's really noisy, I might want to hold off.

Basically, in your opinion, is the Philosopher's Tone worth an additional $70? I know that pedals, especially compressor pedals, can be extremely subjective, the value based solely on the ear of the individual, but I'm just looking for general thoughts. I could live without the grit knob on the Philosopher's Tone, as long as the Tone Press can work well with dirt boxes and a clean signal.

Any comments/thoughts on these compressors or compressors in general would be greatly appreciated.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Wine Red/Gold Pickups)
Vox Wah
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Boss DS-1
Digitech HarmonyMan
EHX Small Stone Phase Shifter
Digitech TimeBender
Boss RC-2
Fender Blues Jr. (Brown/Tan)
Thanks. It does seem to be a good price point... ah, if only I had tried it while I was there!

Edit: I just made a phone call to the music store. They still have the Barber Press. The guy also said that they have a used Analog Man Mini Bi-Comp pedal for $90. Said it was in good shape. I know that Analog Man pedals are said to be very good and high quality. I guess my question now is, which pedal is the better deal, the Tone Press or the Bi-Comp? In your opinion, does the Mini Bi-Comp measure up to the other Analog Man CompROSSor's?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Wine Red/Gold Pickups)
Vox Wah
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Boss DS-1
Digitech HarmonyMan
EHX Small Stone Phase Shifter
Digitech TimeBender
Boss RC-2
Fender Blues Jr. (Brown/Tan)
Last edited by 12SilverStrings at Jul 30, 2009,
Tone press is probably my next pedal. Very transparent. i'd certainly go for it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD