I've been constantly researching for amps like always, and I have found that suddenly low wattage tube amps have been stealing the market, so whats up with these ones? the people who arent full time musicians and who doesnt seek for a perfect tone (who are the great majority) tend to look for these type of amps. It is a good option because they are affordable, they suit bedroom practice and seems to have good tonal sound. Good strategical move from the companies to aim at these public. But something that I really dislike is that that stupid metalhead noobs that are starting to get into the vaccum tubes always make threads about if this or that amp can get teh br00talz without knowing they should stick to SS. Well sorry about the rant and lets return to the topic, do you like this amps or not? Share opinions

tl;dr
low wattage amps yay or nay?
Yay, there very portable and great sounding.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Basically for that type of people, it's like the perfect amp. People who aren't professionals, seek great tone, but don't need the bug tube amps, that cost so much. So its like an afforable version of the sound they like.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
i have a ht-5 combo for my first amp, it definately can't do the br00talz, but it sounds much better than the SS amps I tried. For me it is nearly satisfactory for old thrash, and plays quiet well for early heavy metal.

--People say with a TS you can tighten it up and get to high gain levels, but I tried a TS9 for a couple days and it got me nowhere, prefer it without. Still looking for a way to tighten the distortion a bit. So its not perfect, but for $350 I think it is the best option around.

edit: I am also using an omen 6, so I'm sure the stock pickups on it are not helping matters...
Last edited by ninjab at Jul 29, 2009,
I disagree with what you said about people buying these low wattage tube amps because they don't care about tone. Take a look at the Dr. Z Mini Z or Zvex nano head.
Quote by ninjab
i have a ht-5 combo for my first amp, it definately can't do the br00talz, but it sounds much better than the SS amps I tried. For me it is nearly satisfactory for old thrash, and plays quiet well for early heavy metal.

--People say with a TS you can tighten it up and get to high gain levels, but I tried a TS9 for a couple days and it got me nowhere, prefer it without. Still looking for a way to tighten the distortion a bit. So its not perfect, but for $350 I think it is the best option around.

maybe with a good eq and an OD you can get high gain
I've heard the HT-5 do some modern metal, and when I tried it that little amp could easily get to 80s metal.
Quote by BeethovensBust
I've heard the HT-5 do some modern metal, and when I tried it that little amp could easily get to 80s metal.

Well, I prefer some nice vox SS or a randall for awesome metal tones, or a good tube amp with enough head room for adding an OD