Page 1 of 2
Well, I'm tired of my cheap cable; it's been resoldered repeatedly, but it won't stop giving me problems, not to mention the static I get from it and how easy it tangles up (it rolls up by itself when put on the ground, no joke), so I'm looking into getting a new one, and this time, I want to get something reliable. I need something that would be good for the money, and is 16 feet or more. The one I was looking at was this, but wanted to know if there were any others with the same quality that I could get cheaper (their 18 ft., the one that I would get, is $35 US). Any recommendations?
Yeah monster cables are sick. And they have like lifetime warranty or something. At least that's what I heard :P
~Carl
My favorite cable (the only brand I use) is Rodam, but I don't know how popular they are. I've only seen them at my local guitar store.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
I've heard that a lot to, thanks for bring it up. I looked them up, and found this; seeing as the 21 ft is about the same as the other one's 18 ft., so sounds good to me. Does it make a difference if the cable is a bass cable? Because this one isn't, but I could find one that is if it matters.
Quote by NearDissent
My favorite cable (the only brand I use) is Rodam, but I don't know how popular they are. I've only seen them at my local guitar store.

Searched them on MF, all I found was this.
Yeah, get a Monster Cable. They're constructed better than other cables and when they stop working, take them back to where you bought them- They're supposed to replace them for free. Whether it's a bass or guitar cable doesn't matter.
A cable designed for bass would probably be best (don't know, I've never used one specifically for bass) but that one you posted would be just fine.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
The Monster instrument specific cables are a no-go in my opinion. Having tried them before, the only thing I found they did better than other non-specific cables such as ProCo or LiveWire, was make annoying hiss and other noise artifacts. Plus, they're quite overpriced.
Quote by MrPillow
The Monster instrument specific cables are a no-go in my opinion. Having tried them before, the only thing I found they did better than other non-specific cables such as ProCo or LiveWire, was make annoying hiss and other noise artifacts. Plus, they're quite overpriced.

For the bass-specific ones? So have you tried the one I linked to? All the reviews have only the highest regards.
I also need a good bass cable, the one im using now sucks.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
If I was looking for a quality instrument cable I'd be looking at Mogami or Planet Waves.
I really don't like Planet Waves, but maybe I've just had bad luck with them.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
I use Monster Bass cables. They do actually seem to retain the low end better somehow. The difference isn't too noticable until you go below a low E. A local shop had me A/B my monster bass cable against one of their random cables and the difference was obvious. They started stocking the bass cables soon after.

and btw. i have absolutely no problems with noise...even when i use the distorion channel on my tube amp or run my distortion pedal.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Monster does make quality stuff, but I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the bass specific one. Mogami, I've heard, also makes really good stuff which is supposed to be as good as Monster, but cheaper.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
Monster does make quality stuff, but I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the bass specific one. Mogami, I've heard, also makes really good stuff which is supposed to be as good as Monster, but cheaper.

I hear amazing about Mogami cables. Haven't tried them though because I already have my monster cables so why spend the extra money. TS. look into mogami. I forgot all about them.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I get Livewire cables. I live by Guitar Center. I always have good cables because I replace them very often. I love, "no questions asked," policies.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
100 foot of high quality wire=10
4 jacks=12

2 20 foot cables=less than a 10er.

Spare wire

you win

Otherwise i use livewire solely, their best quality to price ratio cables, they have a lifetime guarantee aswell, which is great.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I use Cobras or something along those lines. Good, bloody thick and don't lock into a shape

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by herby190
Well, I'm tired of my cheap cable

Cheap cable... expensive cable.
They are both made of the exact same materials.

Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
They make a bass-oriented cable I think.

See above.
You can't have cables made for different instruments. If it says it works better with a bass, I shall personally make a call to advertising standards.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep

You can't have cables made for different instruments. If it says it works better with a bass, I shall personally make a call to advertising standards.

You can have better quality cables. They will support more frequencies (bass ones) and provide a fuller sound for any instrument.

EDIT: This may be bull. I don't know anymore...

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Jul 30, 2009,
I use mainly planet waves and Monster. Monster's lifetime warranty is as good as they say it is; I've brought back cables and had them replaced free of charge.
Quote by Casketcreep
Cheap cable... expensive cable.
They are both made of the exact same materials.

I would beg to differ on this one. Many musicians stick to one type of cable because of how it sounds. They all have different insulation, wiring types ect... It would be like saying all strings are the same. They might feel similar, but there are definite differences.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Just buy something with a good Warranty. Monster, Planet Waves, Fender, and Horizon are all good choices. It's worth spending a few extra bucks when you get the warranty. If they're sporting a Lifetime (or usually a Limited Lifetime) warranty your local shop should replace them for free if they aren't working.
Quote by m4l666
You can have better quality cables. They will support more frequencies (bass ones) and provide a fuller sound for any instrument.

Higher quality cables will support more treble frequencies which is good for electric guitar. For bass I would get a physically thick looking and long (>20') cable to direct me to thick/motown tone, unless you like opposite so get a cable with opposite characteristics.
I have a Monster cable and it works fine. It has a right angle and standard jack (both have their uses) and doesn't lock into shapes.

I've heard Mogami is quite good also, and like Tuba said, that Mogami > Monster.
Quote by Casketcreep
Two coil copper wire, the only differences are the actual plugs, which can be made out of different metals.
The insulation shouldn't affect it because there isn't any signal going through it.

Have you bought cable before? There are different grades of copper wire. Some might be more pure or alloyed with something, etc. Also, the shielding does matter, it helps block outside interference and such.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i'm very happy with my Monster "Prolink" cables. the are stone-dead quiet, and the
"no questions" free replacement from my local GC is great. i keep 2 in my bass case at all times. i've learned to always have a back-up cable. Mogami's may be better, but it's hard to improve on excellent.
In addition to Mogami>monster, I should also add that they come with the same warrenty and are the same price as monster. Also, almost every modern recording youve ever heard has passed through a mogami at some point, and mogami is used in studios the world over
Nobody uses C.B.I. cables? Wow. I highly recomend them. The whole bass sepcific cables is bull. Monster cable is just over priced stuff. My local music shop owner is also an electrical engineer and actually makes custom pedals for well known musicains. Ever hear of the musicains junkyard screamer? Great distortion pedal even works well on bass. He has tried em all and only sells C.B.I's now. Ive had my 20' cable for 6 years of practices and gigs. Also have some shorter ones but I have yet to replace one and if I do its free. The best quality cables have the copper that runs all the way to the ends of the tips. Thats how you tell if they are cheap or not. I was told monster is good but the sleeves that cover the ends are crap and tend to break often.
Quote by lordofthefood1
Have you bought cable before? There are different grades of copper wire. Some might be more pure or alloyed with something, etc. Also, the shielding does matter, it helps block outside interference and such.

This says otherwise, I don't know anymore... Some cables are noisy, I know that much.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Jul 30, 2009,
I don't often trust what other people say or what advertisers say, I trust my ear, and I can tell a difference between the crappy cables and the higher-end cables.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Casketcreep

I agree.

I honestly believe there is little difference in the sound between a $15 and $50 cable.
Quote by Casketcreep

I agree with this all the way. AS i said you could make 5 20 foot cables for around 50, and their high quality as good as monster.
I also buy cables, livewire 6 m/18foot for around a 10er, which is great, they also have a lifetime guarantee and the 3 i have haven't let me down once. I use my cables as spares mostly and for giving away to people.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'll be making my own from now on. I can solder (anyone can), and I have the few basic tools needed.
Mostly I'm sick of the bullsh#t claims, and the price. A 5m lead with Van Damme cable and Neutriks? Under £10. Not bass-specific, or anything-specific, or any of that nonsense.
Just a good tough lead which will last me years, and get 99% of my signal thro'!
Page 1 of 2