Having played in different bands over the years I've noticed different rooms/set up of gear can affect the sound greatly. Does anyone have any tips to maximize a room for band practice? Anything from positioning gear, putting stuff on the walls or anything you can think of would be of help. In terms of saving my ears do you also have any suggestions as well? I suppose dampening the room would be the best bet as I'm unwilling to wear ear plugs. Thanks a head of time!
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
earplugs. sorry.
or in ear monitors.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by JordantheAxe
Having played in different bands over the years I've noticed different rooms/set up of gear can affect the sound greatly. Does anyone have any tips to maximize a room for band practice? Anything from positioning gear, putting stuff on the walls or anything you can think of would be of help. In terms of saving my ears do you also have any suggestions as well? I suppose dampening the room would be the best bet as I'm unwilling to wear ear plugs. Thanks a head of time!

You can choose not to wear earplugs to feel cool now, or you can choose to wear them and feel cool in 20 years when your friends are all using ear trumpets and you can sit there smugly listening to ants crying 50 miles away.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
You can choose not to wear earplugs to feel cool now, or you can choose to wear them and feel cool in 20 years when your friends are all using ear trumpets and you can sit there smugly listening to ants crying 50 miles away.

I find it way easier to hear everything without them. It has nothing to do with feeling "cool" in front of two other guys. Dampening the room helps a great deal. I was looking for help along the lines of other methods to increase the effect and less for douche-baggy answers.
I keep it real in the garage. No frills. Hot as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter. Cooler of water. Motivational poster of Rage's first album. No distractions. no excuses to do ther stuff, like a computer.

We have a no phone rule, no shop talk rule, but thats just so we dont get caught up being douches with our very, very limited practice time.

We keep it fun as much as possible. Playing through a PA will help with sound, if your drummer's commited, he might look into sound off pads, or an electric kit. Hell, my drummer GIGS with Roland V-Drums, thats just his style. Its a big investment, but it counts.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Doesn't have anything to do with the sound, but I always like to have posters/pictures of certain bands (or whatever else) on the walls. You know, for motivation and inspiration.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I keep it real in the garage. No frills. Hot as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter. Cooler of water. Motivational poster of Rage's first album. No distractions. no excuses to do ther stuff, like a computer.

We have a no phone rule, no shop talk rule, but thats just so we dont get caught up being douches with our very, very limited practice time.

We keep it fun as much as possible. Playing through a PA will help with sound, if your drummer's commited, he might look into sound off pads, or an electric kit. Hell, my drummer GIGS with Roland V-Drums, thats just his style. Its a big investment, but it counts.

I actually have an electric kit we've used before but it's just not the same. It's hooked up to a crappy makeshift p.a so that could be the reason. I'm sure it would sound better on a good p.a though. That's a good idea with the no phones rule haha. I should mention that to our singer/bassist who gets texts a couple time a practice.

Quote by rockinrider55

If those actually do what they say (not muffle the sound) than I'm definitely considering looking into them. Still not sure though I'm still going to do that or experiment with dampening the sound using blankets and other stuff I can find lol.

Quote by toaster_poodle
Doesn't have anything to do with the sound, but I always like to have posters/pictures of certain bands (or whatever else) on the walls. You know, for motivation and inspiration.

That's actually a really good idea. Though I doubt I'll be able to find posters of bands we like. I'll look into though. Thanks dude.
Keep the volume down. Too often, the drummer beats the crap out of his kit, so the guitarists turn their volume up to something that would drown out a jet plane, and then the singer has to scream into the mic, and still can't be heard.... and then everyone wonders why it sounds like crap.

Amps on chairs to get the cones up closer to ear level helps you to hear yourself without having to crank it to the t!ts.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Bring fans and mount them on the wall if you're not air conditioned. Our space gets upwards of 90 degrees and the fans are the only thing keeping us sane.

Stack amps and other stuff on top of each other to save space.

Get a ton of white boards and markers. Put them on the walls and use them for song layouts and motivational **** -- its a big help.

Mini fridge with water and some Red Bulls for those late nights.
Quote by JordantheAxe
I suppose dampening the room would be the best bet as I'm unwilling to wear ear plugs.

If you don't like earplugs than wear construction headphones. They work fine for me.
You know what would be pretty cool?
A drum forum.
Quote by axemanchris
Keep the volume down. Too often, the drummer beats the crap out of his kit, so the guitarists turn their volume up to something that would drown out a jet plane, and then the singer has to scream into the mic, and still can't be heard.... and then everyone wonders why it sounds like crap.

Amps on chairs to get the cones up closer to ear level helps you to hear yourself without having to crank it to the t!ts.

CT

this might be why i have issues getting into a good band
i go audition for a metal band and instead of going crazy n stuff i sit next to my amp on the ground (its a 120 watt solid state which is always drown out)