Looking towards purchasing a new guitar. No real set budget, as I'm just starting to save towards the next guitar I want, but I have no plans on spending more then $400 on a single guitar alone anytime in the near future.

I'm thinking either a Squier Deluxe Hot Rails Strat, Jackson JS30KE Kelly, or Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster. I play ALL sorts of music, but tend to fall back on Alternative (Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, RHCP) and Blues (God, T-Bone Walker, Buddy Guy) more often than the others.

Right now, I'm using a 15watt Academy amp, buzzes like crazy, and it's pretty much my wife. Any help would be appreciated.

On the topic of amps......well, that would be a seperate thread, now wouldn't it?
Last edited by kerokero at Jul 29, 2009,
the squire is better for alternative and blues but the jackson is an overall better guitar id go with the jackson just because its more worth your money

i dont recall that model of jackson but if it has a floating bridge with the whammy id say dont get it simply because its a hassle to tune and it never stays in tune

but in the end your call
No, it's the string-thru-body bridge. I'm not much of a whammy bar person.

TBPH, I'm leaning more towards the Squiers, but the Jackson does seem more worth it in the long run....

thanks man. (y)
I have the Jackson. It's not too bad of a guitar, minus the pickups. The pickups are terrible, and you will most likely change them (or just the bridge pickup like I did because I don't use the neck pickup). The guitar itself is pretty good and it holds up very well. After the pickup change I did the guitar now sounds great. And don't be fooled by "indian cedro"- it actually means indian alder. IMO it's a decent wood.

The neck is fast, and the shape is very comfy. However, the guitar might not be good for your music tastes. It's more geared towards metal players. Also, the Kelly is worth $400- if you got prices of musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com, keep in mind the guitar is on sale.

I'd also get a new amp before the guitar. The amp makes up like 70% of your tone IMO.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 29, 2009,
Have you thought about a used MIM Standard Strat? It would be tons better than those Squier models and you can get used ones in great shape for $300-$400.
@DIMEBAG-I'm not much on changing pickups, tbph. I've always liked to keep thigns stock, but I have anticipated the fact that the bridge would need changing. And yes, I saw that amazing sale on Musicians friend. Any idea on how long it'll last for?

@jimtaka-I've looked into them, but around here, they go quickly, or run as cheap as 550+ after taxes, non-negotiable. I can get the squiers for the price that they are, flat, or rounded. But if my money situation changes, then yeah, I'll go for the MIM.
^-- Ahh, I didn't realize you are in Canada. Not sure how they run up there. I see them used all the time here for 300 USD.
i know you said the whole "separate thread" comment which means you probably dont want to hear it right now.... but a new amp would benefit you soooo much more. for a little over 200 you can buy a vox ad30vt, its sounds fantastic with a tube pre-amp aswell. youll even have money left over for a pickup change on whatever guitar you currently have. trust sir, buy an amp first.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by jimtaka
Have you thought about a used MIM Standard Strat? It would be tons better than those Squier models and you can get used ones in great shape for $300-$400.

I second that! The Tele's are very versatile as well. They can cover almost any genre you mentioned. And i would def go MIM over squire.
Quote by kerokero
@DIMEBAG-I'm not much on changing pickups, tbph. I've always liked to keep thigns stock, but I have anticipated the fact that the bridge would need changing. And yes, I saw that amazing sale on Musicians friend. Any idea on how long it'll last for?
I have no idea when the sale will end. And do you mean the bridge pickup, or the actual bridge? Trust me, the bridge doesn't need changing.

I still think you should get a new amp. Your tone will benefit way more. But if you are to get the guitar, I don't think the Kelly is right for your style.