So, I'm just starting to get interested in Bass guitar, and I'm finally willing to take the plunge. Of course, I'm going down the Squier route. However, I'd liek to know what's better for my sort of music.

On guitar, I play mostly grunge and bluesy stuff, but I want to be able to play Bass music that takes more of a centre stage. Metal, Alternative (akin to Red Hot Chili Peppers. ), Funk, Hip-Hop. This is the music I'd LOVE to play on Bass.

However, which bass is better suited for me. Once again, I'm a complete novice at bass, having only played bass runs on my guitar. Anyways, what guitar would be best for me, a begginer, and would be well-suited for band playing?

Jazz Bass, P-Bass, Vintage Modified, Affinities? *X budget*
I suggest a the J-Bass jumpstart pack or whatever it's called. Really good price for a bass and an amp. I'm not sure if you already have a bass amp though, if you didn't you might as well get just the bass.
Only way you can really tell is by going to a music store and playing all the basses in your $ range you can and see which you like best. If your going the Squier route I would suggest the VM series, it's a great beginner bass and will last you for a decent amount of time.

As for P or J? Gotta see which you prefer. I like the P bass because I have larger hands so the neck feels better in my hands than a J neck, however the P is kind of a one trick pony(though it does that rick very, very well). The J will be more versatile in the tonal department, and if you want a fast neck it's probably the way to go for you.

Best advice I can give is just to go play as many as you can, and see which one just "clicks". Good luck on the hunt!
Considering what you want to play, the J bass.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
This bass does everything I want it to very well, and has a good amoutn of versitility for what it is it's an amazing bass that I plan on upgrading. I played a Fender American Standard Precision and although it had mroe tone over all it wasn't much different, not enough to warrent replacing this one for 1400 bucks instead of dropping a couple hundred to get near the same sound. The fact that this bass stands up in whatever I compare it to amazes me, however I don't like it for drop tunings and you get alot of hum. Based on a standard tuning and a finger picking style this bass is perfect for any style of rock out there, drop tuned, picked or slaped and you might wanna use something else.

links removed by moderator.
Also consider the MB basses, if you can find one. They only make the skull and crossbones one now, but you can still find the normal ones new in stores. They feel really great. Very similar to an Ibanez GSR190.
Nope, no sig here.
A vintage modified J bass should work.

Or how about a P/J bass. There pretty versitile. The Ibanez SR 300 FM is P/J
vintage modified j bass mate

fender is going downhill at the moment, americans and mexicans are ****, japs and indonesians are ok though, im nnow startin to personally think that squier is better then fender.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Quote by CrackerJack465
A vintage modified J bass should work.

The Ibanez SR 300 FM is P/J

They aren't, from what I can see from MF and the ibanez website, but the gsrs are p/j

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-sr

The gsrs:

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-gsr
Quote by Mutant Corn
Also consider the MB basses, if you can find one. They only make the skull and crossbones one now, but you can still find the normal ones new in stores. They feel really great. Very similar to an Ibanez GSR190.

i agree i got the MB5 and for $250ish it's an amazing bass
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by J.J.Jolly
vintage modified j bass mate

fender is going downhill at the moment, americans and mexicans are ****, japs and indonesians are ok though, im nnow startin to personally think that squier is better then fender.

Squier IS Fender, man. I think a lot of guitar companies are going that way as electronic pop gets more popular.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Whatever you get, don't be afraid to buy used.

There are a bunch of used basses out there that can be had for cheap.

P.S. - I do recommend a P/J bass though, just for the added versatility. But go to guitar center or something and try a bunch of basses out.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I'd also like to ask, what amp do you have? Because if you don't have one yet you might need to configure that into your budget.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix