Hey, I'm about to buy my first Pedal, and I was deciding over a Boss DS-1 or a Boss Blues Driver.

Common sense would tell me thats eeing how I play Blues, that I should go towards it's respective Pedal, but I also play Grunge/Alt as much, if not more, then Blues. Which one would eb better suited for my playing style?

I have a Squier Telecaster Custom as my main axe. An academy 15watt amp. I tend to play Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Chili Peppers sort of Alt, but with much less distortion. On the Blues side, I'm a Blues-Rock and Delta Blues player (Kwnny Wayne Shepherd and Robert Johnson).

I really don't have the money for both ATM, but as a place to start off with pedals and expanding my tone, what would suit me better?
go to a guitar center and try em both out... and if you like grunge definately check out a big muff or little big muff fuzz. I just got one and i love it.
The way you explain things, it sounds like you'd go for the blues pedal.
Pretty much every band uses a Boss DS-1 but if you want less distortion i wouldn't recommend that one. Go for the Blues Driver.
Quote by GuitarShredder+
Pretty much every band uses a Boss DS-1 but if you want less distortion i wouldn't recommend that one. Go for the Blues Driver.

Uh.

But yeah, just go to a Guitar Center and try everything out you can find. Best way to pick a pedal
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The Blues Driver is an overdrive - I'm not sure how much use it'd be to you with that amp.

Probably go for the DS-1, but definitely try and get a USA Big Muff/Little Big Muff/Sovtek Big Muff first.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by GuitarShredder+
No.

How about meet half way and get a Rat? It can do low gain tones well, and still go higher gain for grunge.
Quote by The_Bosstone
No.

How about meet half way and get a Rat? It can do low gain tones well, and still go higher gain for grunge.

I have NEVER heard a Rat do a decent grunge sound. They do the 80s metal thing very well, but for grungy stuff they suck arse.

Nice pedals though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
God. Both are horrid horrid pedals. You'll regret it. Go try them out first, and then buy and mod them if you kinda like the gist of the tone. GB&C can help you with that. Dunno much about distortions, but those two are pretty bad IMO. They don't sound as good as pedals you can get for only $20-$30 more. I know anybody can wait to scrounge up $20. OD's might do you better than distortions. I find them more versatile. Or you can buy a fuzz. Those are cool too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I hate to be the dick who does this, but:

New amp.

No one likes reading those words, but honestly, you're not going much better tone out of your amp with a distortion pedal.
EDIT: This is assuming you're playing through some no-name solid state practice amp. If it's a tube amp, I'd go for the DS-1, but use it as a boost, not a distortion.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jul 30, 2009,
acousticpunk is right. As hard as it may be to swallow, your amp is crap. The best way to get better tone is not through pedals, but through a decent amp. Any experienced guitarist will tell you that.
Ah man, I definately know my amp sucks ...but my current living conditions prevent me from even going past 4 during the days. :S I play unplugged msot of the time, so there isn't much point in looking for the amp before the pedal(s). However, I do have a side pot saving up for the amp.

Things seem pretty splintered on what to get. XD but yeah...I wouldn't go for a Rat. :S