alright so ive been struggling with composing lately and decided to delve more into music theory to help my composing, im a vocalist and guitarist for a grunge band, and the only styles of music i really play/write are any kind of grunge,punk,new-wave,pop-punk, or really any alternative, so i was wondering what kind of theory would i need to know to write vocal melodies over guitar melodies, and to tab a vocal part out for a solo, or any kind of theory that would help me make writing catchy solos that dont shred but just catch your attention.

or really any other theory you guys think ishould learn
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
music theory is the study of music notation, which there is none of in grunge music, making your quest for knowledge worth nil.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
theory is kind of all encompassing. you start at the beginning and move forward. without learning the basics, moving to more advanced theory is pretty pointless
Quote by vjferrara
theory is kind of all encompassing. you start at the beginning and move forward. without learning the basics, moving to more advanced theory is pretty pointless

as stated, there's really no "specific" kind of theory, you can't learn a type of theory JUST for grunge or JUST for rock or JUST for whatever it is that you happen to play, you just learn what there is to learn and apply it to whatever you like
Quote by Hendrix4ever
music theory is the study of music notation, which there is none of in grunge music, making your quest for knowledge worth nil.

You sir, could not be more misinformed. So please don't misinform others.

OP: Start by learning intervals and the major scale. There are some great lessons in the lesson section of this site, I suggest starting there. Also learning how chord progressions work and what scales go over chords, keys, etc. Most of this can be found in the lesson section of this site.
Quote by Hendrix4ever

indeed your fail could not have been greater if you tried

TS, there aren't certain types of theory. music theory is simply a way of looking at how notes interact with each other and why the sounds produced are what they are, its a way of describing music and musical ideas with other musicians.
Amidst the negativity I'll venture as to suggest a book for you... Music theory for the rock guitarist by Ben Bolt. It would hold what you desire. And another would be to get a book on songwriting if you wish...