Page 1 of 2
I was reading the paper last week at work during one of my short breaks and stumbled upon a small article. It was about a man in Wisconsin who has being charged with some variation of homicide for letting his youngest daughter die of undiagnosed diabetes.

What was his reasoning you say?

He said that God was testing him and that praying would help his daughter overcome the illness, so he did not take her to any doctor but instead invited people over to help pray for her. A person eventually called 911 when she stopped breathing.

...Right about now, you're probably saying "What the ****?" I was when I first was reading the article. I read it twice to make sure that I wasn't making things up.

Yeah, not only is this dude an ignorant religious twat, but there were several other people who stood along side him helping him go along with this.

I understand that there will always be religious people and it gives people hope, support, etc... but when it gets to the point where people are dying because of ignorance compared to religious conflicts, I just don't get it. How can somebody be so oblivious to the point where they can watch their own child die due to their belief in a higher power?

I've never been really religious, more-so curious as to if there might be a chance of anything like a god or gods, but after reading stuff like this, I've started to actually hate religion. Not dislike or slightly annoyed, hate. I'm really finding it hard to find the benefits of religion anymore. I find more comfort and support in the fact that I'm going to be a decomposing corpse buried in the ground compared to thinking that there's an afterlife with golden gates and everlasting happiness.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
I hope that bastard goes to jail.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
That is just wrong on so many levels. Yeah, I can see where the religion thing would kick in, but yeah if someone is dying you gotta act.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
i hope he gets a severe case of the flu that would be curable if he just went to a doctor.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I've been in combat three times, and there is honestly only one thing that truly scares me....
Organized religion.

Sad, but true.
how about he takes her to the hospital and prays for her THERE....

his parents must not have beaten him enough. dumbass.

it sucks that a little girls life was taken much earlier than needed because her dad, who is supposed to protect her, ignored serious health conditions.

im gonna print those ten wizards rules and mail them to him lol
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I hope that bastard goes to jail.

I can't remember if the article said if he had been prosecuted or not, but theres no way in hell you can get out of that. I hope he doesn't rely on God to protect him from the things that go on in prison or else he isn't going to last that long.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
well its not exactly the religion thats the problem, its the people. kinda like "guns dont kill people, people kill people"

but if there was no religion, or guns, there wouldnt be something for people kill with. there would be nothing to hide ignorantly behind.

edit: this also shows the arrogance that a lot of religious people seem to have, mainly christians. he thought god was testing HIM. it wasnt even about his daughters life anymore, it was about himself. and in that, he misses a huge point in his religion.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 30, 2009,
short breaks from what i wonder??
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well its not exactly the religion thats the problem, its the people. kinda like "guns dont kill people, people kill people"

but if there was no religion, or guns, there wouldnt be something for people kill with. there would be nothing to hide ignorantly behind.

I get your point...
Unfortunately many don't.

THAT'S WHAT SCARES ME.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear

Well, the first part can be debated, but like the "Guns dont kill people, people kill people" debate, it wont be resolved... ever lol.

However, +100000 to your last line. ("there would be nothing to hide ignorantly behind.")
Thats just the plain truth.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
This is the trigger for you? One overzealous religious nutjob in Wisconsin?! What about the Holy war that has been going on between Israel and Palestine for thousands of years? Or Hitler massacring Jews? The Crusades? Catholicism as a whole? The Protestant Reformation?

Religion has driven people to kill for their beliefs for thousands of years. Not that I dont agree that the man was f*cked in the head, but I just dont get how you're just now realizing the dangers of religion...
Quote by Vikingx
I get your point...
Unfortunately many don't.

THAT'S WHAT SCARES ME.

I don't get his point. It seems as if jealously, hate, fundamental political stances, and a lack of understanding of cultures were completely ignored as reasons for murder.
I read the news today, oh boy...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
I read the news today, oh boy...

...about some lucky man who made the grade
Believing in something that may or may not exist (which we have no way of proving) (don't throw any bibles at me) is no reason to ignore something that is so obviously happening in the present. Seriously, get into reality and out of this "God will help me so I don't need to do anything" mindset.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by music_mike
This is the trigger for you? One overzealous religious nutjob in Wisconsin?! What about the Holy war that has been going on between Israel and Palestine for thousands of years? Or Hitler massacring Jews? The Crusades? Catholicism as a whole? The Protestant Reformation?

Religion has driven people to kill for their beliefs for thousands of years. Not that I dont agree that the man was f*cked in the head, but I just dont get how you're just now realizing the dangers of religion...

I've known the dangers of religion, no need to question that. I know the tragedies that have happened in the past and are currently happening all over the world. This angered me so much because it wasn't part of any religious conflict. It was just a completely stupid and ignorant father who let his daughter die. It wasn't a young girl killed by an enemy soldier or anything, her own damn father let her die. Thats what triggered my anger.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by xMetalGodx
Well, the first part can be debated, but like the "Guns dont kill people, people kill people" debate, it wont be resolved... ever lol.

However, +100000 to your last line. ("there would be nothing to hide ignorantly behind.")
Thats just the plain truth.

well yes your right, its debatable. but i personally wouldnt blame it on religion completely. people do stupid things and take things too far without religion too. but religion really doesnt help anything.
Quote by Zaphikh
I don't get his point. It seems as if jealously, hate, fundamental political stances, and a lack of understanding of cultures were completely ignored as reasons for murder.

I think that you completely missed it.... while still getting it.
Think about it.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well yes your right, its debatable. but i personally wouldnt blame it on religion completely. people do stupid things and take things too far without religion too. but religion really doesnt help anything.

Yeah, that is true. Stupidity does rank pretty high as one of the deadliest attributes of man, religion is not too far behind it.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by xMetalGodx
I've known the dangers of religion, no need to question that. I know the tragedies that have happened in the past and are currently happening all over the world. This angered me so much because it wasn't part of any religious conflict. It was just a completely stupid and ignorant father who let his daughter die. It wasn't a young girl killed by an enemy soldier or anything, her own damn father let her die. Thats what triggered my anger.

Thats just it... 99.9% of all religion-related deaths are based around one mans (or womans) anger and ignorance. As long as religion is as much a part of daily life as it is now, there will always be killing in the name of some "God" or killing in devotion and praise to them or some variation of that in which the people who committed the acts feel justified in their actions because "it was God's will"...
Quote by Zaphikh

I really need to stop assuming that everything you say is wise because of your avatar.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by music_mike
Thats just it... 99.9% of all religion-related deaths are based around one mans (or womans) anger and ignorance. As long as religion is as much a part of daily life as it is now, there will always be killing in the name of some "God" or killing in devotion and praise to them or some variation of that in which the people who committed the acts feel justified in their actions because "it was God's will"...

99.9% of all percentages are made up 99.0 percent of the time..........
come on man!
Quote by music_mike

I see what you're saying.

It still just doesn't sit right with me though. Out of all the deaths that religion has caused, this one just sticks out. I guess it's just that if I was a parent, I would never let anything get in the way of protecting and helping my child. Especially not something like diabetes that can be easily managed through proper treatment. (and its not like she had a fatal illness, she could have led a long, happy life)
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by iantheman
I really need to stop assuming that everything you say is wise because of your avatar.

I'm sure what he means is that all other motives still haven't been ruled out...

Even though it could be pretty obvious in this one.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Vikingx
I think that you completely missed it.... while still getting it.
Think about it.

I completely understand where this discussion is coming from. And I also recognize that people are swift to hate and revenge over the delusions of single persons - that they need to attack something to show defiance. To show that they were never involved with something that inspired, not caused, but inspired a single person to cause an atrocious act. I know very well where the the logic of TS is coming from.

Using the same logic, you can hate all of humanity due to horrible things caused by a single person regardless if religion was involved or not. I find it ridiculous to point fingers because in the end one thing remains constant: people are people, and people have never been perfect.
Quote by arsonite
I'm sure what he means is that all other motives still haven't been ruled out...

Even though it could be pretty obvious in this one.

I hate to play devil's advocate... but, YES.
Quote by Zaphikh
I completely understand where this discussion is coming from. And I also recognize that people are swift to hate and revenge over the delusions of single persons - that they need to attack something to show defiance. To show that they were never involved with something that inspired, not caused, but inspired a single person to cause an atrocious act. I know very well where the the logic of TS is coming from.

Using the same logic, you can hate all of humanity due to horrible things caused by a single person regardless if religion was involved or not. I find it ridiculous to point fingers because in the end one thing remains constant: people are people, and people have never been perfect.

So..... What's you're saying is that:

People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
Quote by Morgant
God made doctors for a reason.

And if this " God" "made" people, "he" sure didn't want them to turn out this stupid, didn't "he"?
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by xMetalGodx
I see what you're saying.

It still just doesn't sit right with me though. Out of all the deaths that religion has caused, this one just sticks out. I guess it's just that if I was a parent, I would never let anything get in the way of protecting and helping my child. Especially not something like diabetes that can be easily managed through proper treatment. (and its not like she had a fatal illness, she could have led a long, happy life)

Oh I agree whole heartedly man. I have a 4 year old son and it makes me completely sick to see some parents letting their children die, well practically killing their children. But I guess I gave up on religion a long time ago. I think its scarier to believe in something that your not even sure exists and to be driven to kill for it then to believe that when you die your body rots in the ground...
Quote by music_mike
Oh I agree whole heartedly man. I have a 4 year old son and it makes me completely sick to see some parents letting their children die, well practically killing their children. But I guess I gave up on religion a long time ago. I think its scarier to believe in something that your not even sure exists and to be driven to kill for it then to believe that when you die your body rots in the ground...

You're a good man Mike.
Quote by music_mike
I think its scarier to believe in something that your not even sure exists and to be driven to kill for it then to believe that when you die your body rots in the ground...

I take comfort in the fact that once I'm dead, I'll have lost the ability to give two shits about it.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by arsonite
And if this " God" "made" people, "he" sure didn't want them to turn out this stupid, didn't "he"?

Would it make sense if every single human being had the same amount of intelligence?
Quote by Vikingx
99.9% of all percentages are made up 99.0 percent of the time..........
come on man!

You really don't believe that?! Religion in its true form is meant to practice kindness to humanity not to destroy it. So how is anger and ignorance not the key factor to someone killing in the name of religion?
Quote by Vikingx
You're a good man Mike.

Thanks man...
I wonder if he ever takes himself to the hospital
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by music_mike
You really don't believe that?! Religion in its true form is meant to practice kindness to humanity not to destroy it. So how is anger and ignorance not the key factor to someone killing in the name of religion?

Thanks man...

Again... I see your point, but pulling numbers out of your arse isn't the way to properly express it. It dilutes your message.
Quote by Zaphikh

I dont want to sound like a dick, but jump down from your soapbox and come back to reality for a second. I know you probably enjoy sounding wise on a forum filled with idiots but you're trying to make this seem like nothing. You really expect people to not get upset over innocent deaths due to religion? I know humanity isn't perfect, you'd have to be as ignorant as the twat father to believe such a thing. It still doesn't avoid the facts that:

A. The father was ignorant, misguided, and fully responsible for his daughters death.
B. Religion played a much larger role in this case than most people think.
C. The vast majority of people would get upset and accuse the father/religion of this unfortunate tragedy.

If you'd like to show off how wise and smart you are, put it to some good use that will benefit humanity. Posting little nuggets of your general knowledge in the Pit isn't going to do much but annoy most people.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by xMetalGodx
I dont want to sound like a dick, but jump down from your soapbox and come back to reality for a second. I know you probably enjoy sounding wise on a forum filled with idiots but you're trying to make this seem like nothing. You really expect people to not get upset over innocent deaths due to religion? I know humanity isn't perfect, you'd have to be as ignorant as the twat father to believe such a thing. It still doesn't avoid the facts that:

A. The father was ignorant, misguided, and fully responsible for his daughters death.
B. Religion played a much larger role in this case than most people think.
C. The vast majority of people would get upset and accuse the father/religion of this unfortunate tragedy.

If you'd like to show off how wise and smart you are, put it to some good use that will benefit humanity. Posting little nuggets of your general knowledge in the Pit isn't going to do much but annoy most people.

In his defense... your nuggets of wisdom are wasted here also.
(although I agree)
Page 1 of 2