does anyone else feel that music is becoming less about the band members and more about the technology they are using? There are still lots of bands busting there asses to make music but if you look at it theres alot more people using computer programs to make music and now people dont even have to sing in key because they have auto tuners. I realize that this is more in like hip-hop and rap but it seems like that is where people are turning to. Any thoughts?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Yeah. I agree.

Thats just the way it is.

Most people take music at face value. It's only because we are musicians, that we care about other aspects.
RIP Tom Searle.
inb4close

In short, no.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Using technology doesn't mean that the musicians who use it are any less "accomplished" or "savvy" as the ones who rely on the standard instruments, brah.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
yes,
computers have ruined music.
you dont have to have talent to make music,
so theres more bands.
which makes it harder to find true talent.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
So?

I mean, it isn't happening with the good rock bands, cuz that won't fly because in rock (and it's subgenres) you must have natural talent no fake stuff, but with hip-hop it's an extra effect, just like sampling.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by skaterskagg1
I've felt like that for years. That's why I mostly play with clean tone.

Damn technofreak!!

I stick with some good ole' acoustics!
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Yes i was just thinking about this, music is becoming less about music and more about name. Lady gaga could release every song on an album as singles and everyone would be a huge hit. If it were some random person that wouldn't happen. Plus with autotune and such you don't even need talent, just need to look good.
Im going to start off by saying. I LIKE ELECTRONIC MUSIC AND CREATE IT MYSELF. Its just as equal to any other kind of music. Its actually difficult to make too.

So what if the music industry is less about the band now? Its becoming more about the producer, mixer, and access. I think that the engineers are just as important as the band when making an album and its finally time thats recognized.
Quote by guitarskater11
Yes i was just thinking about this, music is becoming less about music and more about name. Lady gaga could release every song on an album as singles and everyone would be a huge hit. If it were some random person that wouldn't happen. Plus with autotune and such you don't even need talent, just need to look good.

Hey, lay off, she's legit!

She makes good music, catchy and cool.

Listen to "Just Dance", the way she emulates being totally fucked up by having in an echo in that one part of the song is sheer genius!
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by guitarskater11

*cough*Miley Cirus*cough*

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
*cough*Miley Cirus*cough*

Miley Cyrus doesn't look good.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
I still find it kinda lame to see people complaining about styles of music on a guitar forum. I mean it's all about tastes. Sure I hate Miley Cyrus' music, but heck it's music for the kids, let them have their music. As much as I hate to listen her sing, I can understand how someone can like it and I respect it.

Maybe you should try to do the same. I'm a metalhead and I listen to some rap occasionnally. A lot of people say it's not singing and all, but hey it's still music. And when you think about it, people could pretty much say the same about metal. In fact they do.

Edit: It's all about having fun chilling to the music, whatever pleases your ears.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 30, 2009,
Electronics in the actual musicians arsenals is GREAT. I mean putting in EQs' and effects pedals for a band to tweak just makes it more of them. Now there is a point in which there is saturation (chorus on EVERY clean or always compressing for example). With the mixers/producers I think it is a great tool for evening out tone and making everything sound 'right'. Nothing worse than having the bass be no where to be found on a single.

As far as synths' etc. I think they are equally useful. A guitar with HUGE amount of gain attached will probably be used the same way an electronic synth would now a days. I mean the quality in musicianship has gone down because its' down to a few proved and tired roads to sell records.

A good musician will make their music, even if it IS clicking buttons. Most classical composers didn't compose with the each instrument in his hand and playing with it for EACH part they had written for their several component structures. they made music from memory and writing it straight down. We can essentially do the same, in a way.
i AM a computer...

hiii

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by manhangi
Electronics in the actual musicians arsenals is GREAT. I mean putting in EQs' and effects pedals for a band to tweak just makes it more of them. Now there is a point in which there is saturation (chorus on EVERY clean or always compressing for example). With the mixers/producers I think it is a great tool for evening out tone and making everything sound 'right'. Nothing worse than having the bass be no where to be found on a single.

As far as synths' etc. I think they are equally useful. A guitar with HUGE amount of gain attached will probably be used the same way an electronic synth would now a days. I mean the quality in musicianship has gone down because its' down to a few proved and tired roads to sell records.

A good musician will make their music, even if it IS clicking buttons. Most classical composers didn't compose with the each instrument in his hand and playing with it for EACH part they had written for their several component structures. they made music from memory and writing it straight down. We can essentially do the same, in a way.

this post is wise
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
People sample and remix too much. I'm not against it; but it does get annoying if the "musicians" themselves add a riff into a bunch of other people's tracks, change the tempo, and toss in a nice thumping beat to play the stuff over. Take Girl Talk for example. Not my cup of tea.
Quote by manhangi

i wasnt really talking about effect pedals because i agree they do make most peices sound right but sometimes it comes to a level of depending on the effects to 'hide' or cover up something which im not saying is the case in most situations but it does happen like when you put on excessive amounts of gain to cover up missed notes which is incredibly lazy in my opinion.

There are some forms of 'electrical music' (i dont know what you call it really) that takes alot of work for the creator but there are people who just think that they can sing and just throw something randomly come up with on a loop to fill in the silence under the singing. It also seems that anyone can get a record deal if they can attract an audience instead of actually make MUSIC that has meaning.

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I think it's great. More people are able to bring things to the table without having to take the time to learn and practice and master an instrument. Sure along with it come the generic artists and the boring ones, but it allows more people to bring music they feel is good to the public.
Quote by bass-man9712
does anyone else feel that music is becoming less about the band members and more about the technology they are using? There are still lots of bands busting there asses to make music but if you look at it theres alot more people using computer programs to make music and now people dont even have to sing in key because they have auto tuners. I realize that this is more in like hip-hop and rap but it seems like that is where people are turning to. Any thoughts?

im pretty sure people were already worried about this...like every decade. look at the 80's for example.