Can anyone put me to a website that would help me find tools, and parts for modding pedals? Thanks
Tools: Soldering Iron. Thats the only essential tool. One of those clamp things with a magnifying glass attached is useful though. As for parts, it depends what you're doing.
Radioshack or something similar should have everything you need.
Quote by littlephil
Tools: Soldering Iron. Thats the only essential tool. One of those clamp things with a magnifying glass attached is useful though. As for parts, it depends what you're doing.
Radioshack or something similar should have everything you need.

That magnifying galss with a claw thing, is commonly called a third hand.

Also, make sure your soldering Iron is temp. controllable. You don't want to melt your PCB, or the compontents.

Also, a soldering iron stand is useful. I've burnt myself a couple of time, because my iron fell off my desk onto me.

Also, pencil-tip soldering tips are best for PCB, but for heating up metal, a flat-iron tip works best.

60/40 Rosin Core solder is what major companies reccomend for solder, on guitar parts.
..I was watching my death.
You might start out with a place like smallbear or pedal parts plus at first. It easy to find things etc, but their selection can be limited. Mouser has much cheaper prices but you do have to know what your looking for. It doenst take much in way of tools. But there is a learning curve if your gonna do anything beyond established mods. I kit pedal is a good place to start.
60/40 Rosin Core is only required for pots. but its not even required if you have perfect technique with the soldering iron. 60/40 Rosin Core is an insurance policy cause it heats up and cools faster than it would take the pot to burnout. BUT if your pro you can heat the pot up in the right spot with the right temp, slap a wire on quick and not actually burn the pot.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
I'm not a pro, and By the looks of it, TS isn't either.

Quote by Tackleberry
You might start out with a place like smallbear or pedal parts plus at first. It easy to find things etc, but their selection can be limited. Mouser has much cheaper prices but you do have to know what your looking for. It doenst take much in way of tools. But there is a learning curve if your gonna do anything beyond established mods. I kit pedal is a good place to start.

Personally, I think mouser is a rip-off, it only costs them less than 5 bucks to ship one part, but they charge 20 no matter what. No way I'm paying that much for shipping, on a part that costs $1.16!
Quote by timbit2006
I'm not a pro, and By the looks of it, TS isn't either.

Personally, I think mouser is a rip-off, it only costs them less than 5 bucks to ship one part, but they charge 20 no matter what. No way I'm paying that much for shipping, on a part that costs $1.16!

mouser doesnt charge $20 to ship a part unless you pick something like next day air, which is gonna cost you no matter where you go. my last mouser order the shipping was $7 and i got a lot of stuff.

edit: also mouser isnt exactly the place you place an order ofr just 1 single part which is why you can save your shopping carts on there. some people, like myself, place an order every month or so but during the month i'll always log in and add something else to the list every few days depending on what i have on hand and what i need.
Last edited by noisefarmer at Jul 30, 2009,
I can highly reccomend getting a multimeter of somekind. It's like, your eyes when soldering - you can check to see if a joint worked, check there's no short ciruits, troubleshoot with it, test components like resisters etc.
Quote by noisefarmer
mouser doesnt charge $20 to ship a part unless you pick something like next day air, which is gonna cost you no matter where you go. my last mouser order the shipping was $7 and i got a lot of stuff.

edit: also mouser isnt exactly the place you place an order ofr just 1 single part which is why you can save your shopping carts on there. some people, like myself, place an order every month or so but during the month i'll always log in and add something else to the list every few days depending on what i have on hand and what i need.

Hmm, That's news.
I was thinking of planning ahead, and ordering a whole ****load of stuff, and get my 20 bucks worth, but then I thought it wouldn't be worth it.
I live in Canada, so maybe shippings more???
Quote by timbit2006
Hmm, That's news.
I was thinking of planning ahead, and ordering a whole ****load of stuff, and get my 20 bucks worth, but then I thought it wouldn't be worth it.
I live in Canada, so maybe shippings more???

fedex shipping is $20.
usps is $8.

you know how to pick a shipping option, right?
Quote by noisefarmer
fedex shipping is $20.
usps is $8.

you know how to pick a shipping option, right?

Nah, I don't think I even tried.
Damn FedEx. I thought they're supposed to save companies money.
USPS doesn't ship to Canada do they?

I see now.
FedEx, is air-mail shipping, While USPS is the mailbox.
It took about 2 weeks for them to get me my small box, full of stuff, that I ordered from GFS.
Quote by timbit2006
Nah, I don't think I even tried.
Damn FedEx. I thought they're supposed to save companies money.
USPS doesn't ship to Canada do they?

I see now.
FedEx, is air-mail shipping, While USPS is the mailbox.
It took about 2 weeks for them to get me my small box, full of stuff, that I ordered from GFS.

no, gfs took 2 weeks. mouser might be quicker. most of my mouser orders usually get to me in 5 days. granted i live in the us but i dont see it taking any longer to canada. and usps does ship to canada. pretty sure they ship to anyplace that has mail.