Looking at an SG or similar. Like the epiphone g-400, but curious why it's $50 more expensive than the g-400 vintage? BTW, I play (try to play ) everything from clapton/pink floyd/zeppelin, you know, classic rock stuff to more recent rock and up to metallica. No hardcore metal for me, just not into it personally. Would a fat strat or something do a similar job? Going more for sound that looks, but damn the sg looks sweet.
what kind of guitar do you have already? does it have humbuckers or single coil pickups? In order to get really good tones for everything you want to play, having a guitar with each would be preferable, although it certainly isn't required.
got a crappy strat knockoff, SSS. Can't quite get that Zeppelin "crunch", but I get by. sounds good enough for me when I'm practicing by my lonesome, but I get to finally get a decent guitar, and not worthy to spend a bundle. Hence I'm not asking Gibson or something like that. Just something that can be a little more versatile for a decent price.
Epi LP?
that would do the classic rock well
Fat Strat also be a good idea to get pink floyd/clapton sounds
Quote by coleclark93
Epi LP?
that would do the classic rock well
Fat Strat also be a good idea to get pink floyd/clapton sounds

This is the truth, For the tones you are looking for the Fat Strat would probably be your best bet, Its got the most versatility and its good quality from what I have played

Then again, you will never know what will truly fit you until you try all the options out

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
Go to your nearest guitar store and try out some affordable LPs and Strats and possibly SG, but I have to agree with the people here, LP or Strat is probably best bet
would an lp still do clapton justice? Not too harsh? Fat strat is sounding pretty good now, but LPs are pretty sweet too.
Clapton played on a LP as well as a Strat IIRC?

To be honest, either would do the bands you chose justice, its just down to personal preference and how each one feels in your hands

Gear

Amplitube

No problems mate, Glad that I was of some help

Make sure you post a NGD when you get your new guitar, Im sure we all want to see which one won you over!

Gear

Amplitube

Fat strat isn't neccasairly the most versatile.A few wiring mods and any LP/SG has a similiar amount of tones.Coil taps are great,especially for that classic rock sound,switching from singles to humbuckers quickly and easily.But if your still new to guitar,I wouldn't be modding yet.Try a few out and work out the difference between the fender style neck and the gibson style neck.See which one you prefer.Overall,having a good feeling guitar is the most imoprtant.Sound can be changed fairly easily,but if the neck lets say feels to square,then it's just not right.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.