Page 1 of 2
Ok seriously, you american guys have got to stop whining when bands you want to see live arn't playing your town. OMG they're playing Boston but no Chicago!?!?! They'll be playing somewhere within a few hours drive of you. Get over it guys. I live in Ireland, for me to see any decent bands I have to fly to England or Germany every time.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
+1

I live in Australia. Adelaide, Australia. Although, I did see The Who a few months back, so I can't complain

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
+1

I have to travel 2 hours at least for gigs, doesn't bother me.

I tend to see a lot of 'Damn, they aren't playing in my town, there's no way I can travel for 10 minutes to the next town to see them!'
RULE BRITANNIA
I'm flying from NZ to Australia to see Parkway, Architects and August Burns Red.
RIP Tom Searle.
Hands down for you dude.
You certainly had that right!

CHEERS MATE!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
New York City FTW!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Yep, it sucks. I live in Cornwall and I usually have to travel to Exeter, which is about 2 hours away from where I live to see any good bands.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Quote by MH400
I'm flying from NZ to Australia to see Parkway, Architects and August Burns Red.

Hell, I'D fly to Australia to see Architects and I'm in the UK...

But yeah, this really does annoy me.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by fearofthemark
New York City FTW!

I thought you were an Aussie >.>

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by jimmyled
I have to fly to another continent, so shut up.

this - Africa all i'm gonna say
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Nothing annoys me more than the fact that bands fly over my country to play shows but never consider stopping.

So screw you continental Europeans, try living on an island.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nothing annoys me more than the fact that bands fly over my country to play shows but never consider stopping.

Ah....
Quote by Johnny skins
banned cause im fine because of your avatar! it blasts happyness everytime i see it!!

definitly the best avatar ever I=Cookie

Proud owner of the: I'm wearing clothes in the Pit! Group! Click here to join
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Living in the north of ireland is even worse
Luckily, I live in the capital of Norway, so I catch most of the bands coming here. Still, it's not nearly as many gigs as your average small-city-dwelling American can get to easily. I wouldn't mind travelling two or three hours to see a cool band, it just adds to the experience.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

I either have to make my way to Nottingham or Manchester, or only go by bus to Lincoln on the off chance someone good is playing at The Engine Shed (yay Deftones!)

That's not too far though. But the thing is, it seems that driving and travel is a lot more "integral" to American life than UK life, as we tend to have almost everything we need in a small area, therefore making travel beyond that a bit of an inconvenience. It seems Americans tend to travel long distance (for UKers) to get, well... anything, so our long distance is their short distance, meaning why the heck should they whinge when somthing's 3 hours away? I'll whinge, cos I'm from England, and it's WHAT WE DO.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I either have to make my way to Nottingham or Manchester, or only go by bus to Lincoln on the off chance someone good is playing at The Engine Shed (yay Deftones!)

That's not too far though. But the thing is, it seems that driving and travel is a lot more "integral" to American life than UK life, as we tend to have almost everything we need in a small area, therefore making travel beyond that a bit of an inconvenience. It seems Americans tend to travel long distance (for UKers) to get, well... anything, so our long distance is their short distance, meaning why the heck should they whinge when somthing's 3 hours away? I'll whinge, cos I'm from England, and it's WHAT WE DO.

That actually made sense.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Deliriumbassist
We will, just to prove a point.

The label may not like it though.

If you want to really spite The Mistress, play Adelaide.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Adelaide's in Norway or Finland right? We might be able to stretch to that when we go over.

(for the record, I know exactly where Adelaide is )

Excellent See you in Helsinki!

Bagsy on a pass to the green room >.>

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I luckly live in Stirling, so its only like 40min to either Edinburgh or Glasgow - it seems pretty much any band that comes to the UK goes to one of those cities.
Fortunately I am between Southampton, Portsmouth and London, so I am always under an hour away from the nearest gig .
Galway, you?

Edit - don't mind me, I see you're in Tyrone
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
i usually have to travel a couple of hours to get to the nearest "stop" for most bands i wanna see. but i've never complained about it.

and the bands that tour in europe that i wanna see end in the states anyways cause thats where they originate.

ex: metallica has been over quite a bit the past few years. but i've got the tickets for a september show so i'm all good. enjoy 'em while you've got 'em boys...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

It'd be cool if we got a bunch of children from different countries and make them wear clothes similar to this kid's, each one corresponding to his or her own country. Then like write a story about it or something.
Quote by RayToroIsAGod
Ok seriously, you american guys have got to stop whining when bands you want to see live arn't playing your town. OMG they're playing Boston but no Chicago!?!?! They'll be playing somewhere within a few hours drive of you. Get over it guys. I live in Ireland, for me to see any decent bands I have to fly to England or Germany every time.

exactky i'm here in ireland and i'm dying for maroon 5, lifehouse or matchbox twenty or rob thomas to come over here
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Well, I'm about 15 Mins from Brid Spa, where I've seen Kasabian, I'm soon to see The Specials there and Oasis are playing there.

But the only real decent place is over an hour away...
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I'm 15 mins from Birmingham and about 35-40 mins from Wolverhampton by train.

Most bands play one of those two, have had to go to Coventry (urgh) for a couple of gigs and London for a couple that weren't playing anywhere local.

I'm in Stoke at uni next year, so I've got the option of Manchester being only 40 mins train ride away (about the same from Brum as well, I expect), because I doubt many bands want to play in Stoke, given that it's a complete dump
Luckily Manchester is a 20/30 minute drive away depending on traffic, so I get to see loooooads of gigs at the MEn, Academy, Apollo etc. Or I would if I had any money.

And then if I'm at uni I'm in Leeds where there are plenty of gigs too.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
+1

I have to travel 2 hours at least for gigs, doesn't bother me.

I tend to see a lot of 'Damn, they aren't playing in my town, there's no way I can travel for 10 minutes to the next town to see them!'

this.. and I'm usually that guy.

Luckily for me though, we have quite a few local gigs, and there's good rail system in my town so I can get to York, and can get mates to go with me to Leeds(unfortunately, I don't have any money, so I can't go to Leeds Festival).

god I love music!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

It sucks being in Ireland, no bands come in the first place, if they do come then they play an over 18's venue, and if they don't then they have a crap supporting act. Even U2 compromised the quality of their Irish gig!
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
To the OP, your example of Boston being only a few hours drive from Chicago is just wrong. It's a 16 hour drive from Chicago to Boston. It's a thousand miles. And if a band's playing a concert in LA, that's double the time and 2000 miles. With lots of bands playing shows on the coasts, it's a helluva lot easier to just fly there, and flying from Chicago to LA, or even New York, is a longer flight than flying between almost anywhere in Europe.
Page 1 of 2