Hi!
What is the sound difference in general between a standard combo amp and one where you separate the amp and the speaker part?
What reasons do you have for doing the one or the another?
sweden on tour
It depends on the size a lot for the differences in usability. Something like a Twin Reverb will give you huge muscles or longer arms as its so heavy. By comparison a head and 2x12 cab will each weigh quite a bit less, so could be more convenient.
The difference in sound for a similar spec amp wouldn't be a lot unless you use a 4x12 cab, which will have a fuller spread of sound. The differences between rival makes/models would be much more.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Lurcher is right. It often comes down to personal preference and cosmetics. For example, you can buy a marshall combo with 2 X 12 or buy a marshall head and box. Exactly the same amp. If you want to play through a "stack", then you buy the quad. Combos are often more compact and therefore more convenient. Easier to cart around. I guess they might not look as impressive as a big stack. But sound-wise, they usually only mike up one speaker anyway, so it doesn't matter a toss in the end. So to answer your question: what is the sound difference in general? F%&k all.
Quote by Lurcher
It depends on the size a lot for the differences in usability. Something like a Twin Reverb will give you huge muscles or longer arms as its so heavy. By comparison a head and 2x12 cab will each weigh quite a bit less, so could be more convenient.
The difference in sound for a similar spec amp wouldn't be a lot unless you use a 4x12 cab, which will have a fuller spread of sound. The differences between rival makes/models would be much more.

wat

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
wat

If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?