hi, i was just wondering, im new to tube amps, so go easy, when i switch on the power, how long should i wait until i switch it from standby? and also, when i turn it back into standby when turning it off, do i need to wait til i turn off the power switch too?
wait 30 seconds to a minute, both when turning it on and when turning it off, just to be safe.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
when turning it on you don't really need to wait all that long.

30 seconds at most. I usually just give it about 5-10 seconds. Even if you start straight away you won't do much other than shorten the lifespan of your tubes a bit.

turning off you don't need to bother, as long as the switches are in the correct position for the next time you turn it on you'll be ok.

tube amps aren't as fragile as some people make them out to be.

I know the tubes are made of glass but it's not as if you're hitting them with a hammer.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
when turning it on you don't really need to wait all that long.

30 seconds at most. I usually just give it about 5-10 seconds. Even if you start straight away you won't do much other than shorten the lifespan of your tubes a bit.

turning off you don't need to bother, as long as the switches are in the correct position for the next time you turn it on you'll be ok.

tube amps aren't as fragile as some people make them out to be.

I know the tubes are made of glass but it's not as if you're hitting them with a hammer.

Generally they're quite sturdy, but sometimes they are weak. I once only left my amp in standby for about 20 seconds and then cranked everything up, only to blow up a power valve (With fire and everything)

Just be cautious, 30 seconds is a safe time for both turning on and off, when turning it off it's best to leave it on standby as well, because everything is under stress when the power is removed, so best not to just take all the power away instantly.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Generally they're quite sturdy, but sometimes they are weak. I once only left my amp in standby for about 20 seconds and then cranked everything up, only to blow up a power valve (With fire and everything).

I norrmally wait about 1 minutes (I just set up all my pedals while it's on standby, I heard that you should slowly increase the volume if you want to crank it.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Alright, but now I have a question lol.
What if your tube amp doesn't have a standby switch? e.g. the Little Giant?

you're ok.

it'll be designed to work without one.

in fact all tube amps can work without one. it just warms up the tubes a bit before putting the signal through them.

diming even a warmed up amp can cause it to blow up nevermind a cold amp.

for 99% of situations 30 seconds before turning fully on is more than enough.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
about 20-30 seconds should do it - i normally, turn on, tune up, plug in then standby off, that's plenty of time. It probably also helps if your amp isn't cranked on the first note you play. Normally i'll start off fairly quiet as the drummer won't have got himself sorted yet/is always late.

new question - is there any problem turning off the standby then turning it back on again quickly. Say when changing guitars on stage, i just hit the standby off, change over then back on. Second question if i'm leaving it for about 10-20 mins say in a church service while something else happens - should i power it all the way down or am i good to jus leave it on standby?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
about 20-30 seconds should do it - i normally, turn on, tune up, plug in then standby off, that's plenty of time. It probably also helps if your amp isn't cranked on the first note you play. Normally i'll start off fairly quiet as the drummer won't have got himself sorted yet/is always late.

new question - is there any problem turning off the standby then turning it back on again quickly. Say when changing guitars on stage, i just hit the standby off, change over then back on. Second question if i'm leaving it for about 10-20 mins say in a church service while something else happens - should i power it all the way down or am i good to jus leave it on standby?

That's what the stand-by switch is designed for, so that there isn't a load of crunchy voltage noises from the jack inevitably touching your skin. It'll be fine leaving it on standby for 10-20 mins. I've gone to gigs where they leave the support act's amps on for about half an hour then flick the standby switch when they come on.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I leave my standby switch in the "inactive" position at all times and just use my power switch. My first set of power tubes lasted for about nine years.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 30, 2009,
thanks guys, i just wasn't too sure, i knew i had to leave it for a bit before turning it on but wasnt sure about the time sorta thing. cheers