Well, I was practicing Oasis to nail down the solo's in Don't Look Back In Anger, and as I played along with the my CD I noticed that in a reasonable amount of Oasis songs , the guitar's are tuned 1/4th note up.

As most of you know, the default frequency should be 440 Hz. And as the 440 Hz stands for the speed of the vibration of the strings, and knowing that the lower the frequency, the lower the tone, I was wondering if you guys know the exact frequency setting your tuner should be at to get a 1/4 higher tone and/or a 1/4 lower tone.
mathematically splitting into quarter tones means having twenty four notes per octave sp multiply the frequency by 2^(1/24), at 440 hz that is about 453Hz. They probably haven't tuned by a tuner though, more by what sounded about right to them so although it says 1/4 tone i doubt it actually will be. Only way to do it is by ear.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
They won't be tuned 1/4 step up, it's just how it's recorded A lot of songs from older artists have this problem because they recorded analogue, not digital. As for what frequency they would be, i have no idea.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Just estimate a quarter tone up.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by druggietoad2k5
They won't be tuned 1/4 step up, it's just how it's recorded A lot of songs from older artists have this problem because they recorded analogue, not digital. As for what frequency they would be, i have no idea.

Oasis aren't really an "older artist" as such, i assume you're referring to tape stretching as the issues they had. I don't really see that a big name band such as Oasis would be having tape stretching issues as late as 1996... They may have deliberately tape stretched to get a sound effect though. I do agree however it is unlikely to be exactly a 1/4 step.

EDIT: i forgot about the piano part - seeing as it's unlikely they decided to entirely retune a piano for the recording it must be either an out of tune piano that they decided to tune to (unlikely) or deliberate tape stretching/speeding up of the track (more likely)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by doive
Oasis aren't really an "older artist" as such

Well, I've heard it on some of Green Day and Blink 182's older stuff and that's 1990-1994ish. It just crossed my mind as to the reason because who actually tunes a quarter step up or down?

Quote by doive
deliberate tape stretching/speeding up of the track (more likely)

That's what I was getting at but I couldn't remember the cause, only that it was caused by recording without digital equipment.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice