Since this is my first post I thought I'd relate an experience that has haunted me for nearly 40 years.

When I was 15 I showed up to buy my first guitar from a woman through a classified ad in the paper. She said it'd been her husband's (I think she'd thrown him out) and she didn't know much about these things but she figured $25 was fair enough.

I didn't know much about these things at the time either but I sure knew the name Gibson and it was right there on the head of that guitar. So I eagerly paid my $25 and got out as quick as I could.

There weren't a lot of rock musicians around at that time in Angels Camp, CA. Somebody somewhere told me it was a Les Paul but I knew what they looked like and this wasn't one of em. It looked like an SG but I figured it must have been a trainer model because they said it was a "Junior".

Whatever it was, this thing played so beautifully and I played it in our band for 5 years. Then when the band broke up I decided to go bum around in Europe and had to sell everything I had for the airfare.

I felt real bad about letting my guitar go but, hell, it was only a Junior. Since I was in a hurry I took it to my local music store in Stockton, CA, and I felt a bit better when they gave me 75 bucks for it. Man! I tripled my money!

Of course I felt like a bit of a chump when I walked by the next day and saw it in the window for $450! Cherry Les Paul Juniors from the early to mid-60s currently go for about $4000 in eBay...
Last edited by davido757 at Jul 30, 2009,
wow man that sucks, you always gotta be careful with guitars u never whats gonna be a classic
Never sell a guitar. Ever.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
You're over 50 years old?

EDIT: sh!t, my mistake, sorry. Lol i've been in the pit too much lately.
Last edited by TheBax at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by TheLetheProject
Wrong forum?

again, my apologies. Lol

to OP, that really sucks...but that's kinda what you get dealing with those music shops. I actually have a few cool ones in my town, but there are still one or two of the standard pricks.
Well, you still tripled your investment. And you got a story you can tell to make everyone in the room pay attention to you for a few minutes. Overall, you've gained from the situation.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Clearly he never had it. Why worry about what you never had?
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
human nature. You want something and kick yourself for missing out an opportunity to get it.
Using ur philosophy, why not invest in very, very small shares in the stock market and make tiny profits instead of investing in a large share and making a ton of money ?
Why not? You invest all in one, you're also more likely to lose all that money. Investors even tell people to diversify their portfolios.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Sure, you could invest in the little company which shows marginal profits and not make much money at all. Or you can invest it in a good well-reputed company and make more money.
Quote by STABxYOU
Clearly he never had it. Why worry about what you never had?

If you study economics, there is actually a lot of importance in what you never had. It's called an opportunity cost. If he could've gotten $4000 out of it, but didn't, he essentially lost $4000 (minus $75 I guess).

I'm sorry to hear that, that really is sad. This sort of stuff is what keeps me from selling anything, even what couldn't conceivably be worth much.
Quote by The Red Comet
If you study economics, there is actually a lot of importance in what you never had. It's called an opportunity cost. If he could've gotten $4000 out of it, but didn't, he essentially lost $4000 (minus $75 I guess).

I'm sorry to hear that, that really is sad. This sort of stuff is what keeps me from selling anything, even what couldn't conceivably be worth much.

No, he did not 'lose' $4000. Firstly, opportunity costs are quantifiable. He had no way of predicting that the guitar would be worth $4000 today. Secondly he used the proceeds from the sale to finance his european trip which presumably provided some personal utility.

Consider Prospect Theory which states that losses 'hurt' more than gains. Also, hindsight is always 20/20.

To the OP, if it the financial loss that stings, just consider that $3925 amortized over 40 years is peanuts. If it is the loss of the actual guitar is it because of nostalgia or the actual guitar? If it is the latter, buy another one - I am assuming that at 50-60 you have some accumulated wealth...
Economy talk is not cool.

Anyways man, thanks for the cautionary tale. I'm sorry to hear it though, because I'm a huge LP Jr fan and can feel your pain.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Fizzyx
No, he did not 'lose' $4000. Firstly, opportunity costs are quantifiable. He had no way of predicting that the guitar would be worth $4000 today. Secondly he used the proceeds from the sale to finance his european trip which presumably provided some personal utility.

Consider Prospect Theory which states that losses 'hurt' more than gains. Also, hindsight is always 20/20.

To the OP, if it the financial loss that stings, just consider that $3925 amortized over 40 years is peanuts. If it is the loss of the actual guitar is it because of nostalgia or the actual guitar? If it is the latter, buy another one - I am assuming that at 50-60 you have some accumulated wealth...

Jesus! I'll bet you're the heart and soul of a party.

lol

To OP.... My sympathies... Stuff like that does sting a bit.
[
Just yesterday I **** you not....

I find this '08 flying V on craigslist, the guy's asking $800, looks good as new. I was so syked, I emailed, we talked, I'm only $100 away from it so it'd take only a few more weeks to get it.

When I got home last night, I saw this in my inbox.

"Had to sell the v today. I was offered $900 cash. Sorry,"

Quote by The Red Comet

Nah, he didn't, loss of opportunity doesn't count as a loss. At least, not legaly anyway. It's nothing you could be compensated for.
Hey man, least it wasn't a strad violin or anything important.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!