easiest way to do it is to open up the spring chamber (or whatever it's called) and remove some springs/swap for ones with less tension. I can tell you that it will be a lot more unstable if you do it though
Take off the backplate and loosen the trem springs by unscrewing the screws that hold them to the body. Tune to pitch, and the gap between the body and the bottom of the topside of the bridge should be wider, giving you room to bend up.
Quote by blue_strat
Take off the backplate and loosen the trem springs by unscrewing the screws that hold them to the body. Tune to pitch, and the gap between the body and the bottom of the topside of the bridge should be wider, giving you room to bend up.

It's safe to unscrew those? I tried before and they didn't budge at all.
There is a very delicate balance between the spring tension and the strings..

And each guitar will be different, you'll have to experiment on your own till it's right.

What is said before, that the tuning stability lessens when you make the trem float.
But it CAN be done. You just have to go through some trial and error.

There is no magic "Do it like this" that anyone can tell you. Like I said, every guitar reacts differently to adjustments to the springs.

But generally speaking, to make it float, if you put more tension on the BASS side of the tremolo, it will work better.

You can achieve more tension on the bass side if you do either..
1. Put 2 springs on the bass side, and only 1 on the trebly side.
2. Put a spring at an angle.. One end in the Middle claw hook, the other at the bottom of the sustain block.
3. Tighten the bass side screw more than the other, so that the claw is at an angle.

Experiment with mixing and matching those 3 things.

It will take some time, but it can be made to be stable.

Have fun.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Thanks for that. How far is too far to unscrew the screws? I don't want to have this thing rip out of the guitar and possibly injure me.

I wouldn't worry about that.

If you unscrew them far enough for them to come out, the tension on the springs/strings will be pretty much completely gone by that time.

Just make your adjustments like Half a turn at a time. Retune after each adjustment.
It won't take much to get the trem floating.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
keep going. It sounds like the screws were REALLY cranked in there tight...

But still keep at the 1/2 turn at a time.

Perhaps try removing a spring if there are 3 or more. (carefully of coarse...that can snap out of your grip, use some plyers or something)
Remove the middle one.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
keep going. It sounds like the screws were REALLY cranked in there tight...

But still keep at the 1/2 turn at a time.

Perhaps try removing a spring if there are 3 or more. (carefully of coarse...that can snap out of your grip, use some plyers or something)
Remove the middle one.

I'll try to remove it, but they're in there pretty tight. Here's a pic of how far out I've got the screws.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/gdfanatic21594/0730091139.jpg

Edit: Ah **** it this is too much trouble for too little of a reward. I'll just get a guitar with a Floyd if I want to go up. Thanks for trying to help though.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
I'll try to remove it, but they're in there pretty tight. Here's a pic of how far out I've got the screws.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/gdfanatic21594/0730091139.jpg

Edit: Ah **** it this is too much trouble for too little of a reward. I'll just get a guitar with a Floyd if I want to go up. Thanks for trying to help though.

You've got a LONG way to go before those screws come out.
Those screws are a good 3-4 inches long.

You see how much of the screw is OUTside of the wood?
There is at least TWICE that much screw still INside the wood.

Keep going, it's worth it.

Floyds are just as much trouble (more actually).

P.S. Try loosening the strings, that will make the springs come off much easier.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Great, now how much is it floating??

If that's a strat, the owners manual says you want about 1/8th inch between body and backside of bridge plate.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Great, now how much is it floating??

If that's a strat, the owners manual says you want about 1/8th inch between body and backside of bridge plate.

That's probably about how much it was floating. I changed it back to being flat because it wouldn't hold a tuning at all.
Quote by Alex Vik
That's probably about how much it was floating. I changed it back to being flat because it wouldn't hold a tuning at all.

That goes back to my original replay.

It takes time + effort + Trial and Error to get it to hold tuning well.

try different variations of how the springs are attached, at angles and stuff.
trying to put more tension on the side of the tremolo with the thicker strings.

also, lube the slots in the NUT with vaseline.

And installing a set of Schaller Locking tuners will help a great deal as well.

If you can't get locking tuners, follow the instructions in this thread for how to install the new strings. It makes a big difference if you put the string through the tuning peg correctly.. No joke, read it, the 2nd post in that thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&highlight=how+to+restring+a+guitar

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear