Okay first of all English is not my first language. so sorry about the wrong speelings.

This is kinda of hard to explain:

When I playing guitar some times i end up resting my fingures near the pick up.

Would this slow me down.

My friend told me that apparently is faster if i shouldnt do that.

Thanks.
Here we go again... begin the great debate.

Ibrahaim, that is called anchoring. Some people will say it is ok to do, but a lot of others have pointed out that a number of players who anchor have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (or CTS). If you don't anchor, don't do it. I find playing free handed much more comfortable and more natural to me. If you do, check out the sticky for more information - I believe the general response you'll get is to try not to do it. It's not a great idea to begin with and if it does cause CTS, then its purported benefits are definitely not worth getting CTS.
Actually, your speed would be the same and less tense free handed. It takes practice to get accurate, but in the end, it's equally fast in every way and most people don't tie it to CTS.
I believe you, although I don't tense up at all while anchoring...

In my case it's like, the pinky is lying there but I pick like I would pick freehanded, it's almost exactly the same. Sometimes when I play very fast altpicking I will just move my thumb so the pick changes angle and picks that way.
It's called anchoring, some people do it, some people don't, it's perfectly okay and doesn't really affect your speed. I actually anchor on fast songs, and I don't anchor on slower songs, it's jut your preference.
There's no point trying to work out from this thread what you should do, as eveyone seems to think they are right on the subject of anchoring. You might not even be anchoring - read the sticky:

[post]19127307[/post]

Work out from that if you are anchoring or not, and decide for yourself whether to continue once you know what it is.
Please bring back the 'No Anchoring Threads' rule. These threads only 'cause a huge debate and there is never any definate answer.

Personally, I wish UG never merged G&BB and AT...

Anyways, remember this: Anchoring = tension = HIGH risk of injury = possibly ruining doing anything that has to do with using repetative wrist movements =
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by KoenDercksen
I believe you, although I don't tense up at all while anchoring...

In my case it's like, the pinky is lying there but I pick like I would pick freehanded, it's almost exactly the same. Sometimes when I play very fast altpicking I will just move my thumb so the pick changes angle and picks that way.

I will point this out, as it has been proven. Even if you don't feel like you're tensing, you are tensing when you anchor. It has been proven many times.

Also, don't justify anchoring by saying "This famous guitarist does it and he's mad skillz dawg."

My guitar teacher used to anchor until quite recently. He told me as he was starting out, he'd do it to gain speed, then he eventually went freehand and told me that it was one of the best decisions he ever made.