Heya,

I am currently a bedroom guitar player and I have a Pod X3 live connected to an Ibanez 10 watt amplifier. Turns out that this amplifier went dead so I'm thinking of an upgrade / replacement. But also I might be gigging in the future so here's my dillema..

Should I go for a bedroom amplifier like the Roland Micro Cube or Line6 spider micro (both under 100$) or should I invest a bit more in something better ? What power does an amplifier need to be to play alongside drums / jam in a garage / club ? 30 watt ? 50-60 ?

Browsing through the net I came across Peavey's Vypyr (sounds good but apparently has quality building issues ??). Also Vox VT-15 or VT-30 are good but now we're talking about 200-250 range. To get to 50-60 watts then no less than 300$. Is it worth it or should I just stick to a microcube for practicing and get an expensive amp later on without modelling ? (since I already have the Pod X3 for that).

Are the 15watt models even worth considering ? They're probably too loud for a bedroom and too quiet to jam with drums... don't know I never tried them...

Thanks for any hints!
you would need to look at 30 watts for a solid state amp to be played with drums, good one to look at are the peavey vyper, roland cube and vox valvetronix. if you were to get a tube amp 5 watts would be sufficient, good ones to look at are the blackstar ht-5 and epiphone valve junior.
just get a fender Champ600 and use the amp models of the X3live.

DO NOT GET MODELING AMPS!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Buy an Tech21 Trademark Combo.
They are build to make an POD XT loud or if you have more money buy an Atomic Reactor.
Quote by compin
Buy an Tech21 Trademark Combo.
They are build to make an POD XT loud or if you have more money buy an Atomic Reactor.

These are good options, but if the money isn't there the champ or a valve jr will work. Do not get a modeling amp to go with a modeling processor. You probably won't like the results. Only problem with the Vj or champ is they will stress against a drummer, but for bedroom practice it's a great setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by britishsligean
f you were to get a tube amp 5 watts would be sufficient, good ones to look at are the blackstar ht-5 and epiphone valve junior.

This /thread.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by JWZ28
This /thread.

if he is using the X3's amp models then he needs a clean amp, the Blackstars cleans are OK and the Epi's cleans are meh.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if he is using the X3's amp models then he needs a clean amp, the Blackstars cleans are OK and the Epi's cleans are meh.

But if he uses the HT-5 then I guess he wont need models. Then again if he is going to be using the POD, I guess he cant miss with a cube 30.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by JWZ28
But if he uses the HT-5 then I guess he wont need models. Then again if he is going to be using the POD, I guess he cant miss with a cube 30.

the POD X3's amp models are excellent.
better than any rival MFX's amp models.
feel free to add me
How about just an active sound monitor for bedroom usage and then I'd invest properly in a real amp ? I heard valve amps have to be checked like every 1-2 years so I wouldn't like to have that hassle...

I read somewhere that the POD can work with an amp as long as the amp has an FX loop (so the POD would be working out the effects but the amp in use would be.. well the amp that it's connected to). But from what I gather, most amps in the 30watt range don't have an FX loop...

Something that occured me.. what if you just connect the output of the POD to the CD-MP3 In of the amp ? (even if it's a moddeling one). Will there still be POD sound coloring in this case ? The CD-MP3 is supposed to stay intact and most of these modelling amps have such a connector. Would be a little bit of a waste of amp though but the same amp could then be used if the POD should fail or not be present... dunno!

As for the Tech 21 and Atomic amps they seem to be quite amazing.. but I guess I will only consider these if I ever go live
A Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Pro Jr or both good amps that will play well with your X3.