Page 1 of 2
does anyone else use these or am I simply insane?
every single person I know turns their nose up at these things but I absolutely love them, I can't even use normal picks anymore

also, are there any other smaller sized picks that would be more suited to bass?
I've been contemplating the 475 Big Stubbies, any insight would be greatly appreciated
I cant see anything wrong in them, i prefer dunlop 73. tortex yellow thats all o.o
I tried using them but they just didn't work for me. Probably my bad technique.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yea, I actually do use them, but in a kind of odd way. I digged the thickness of the big stubbies (those fat purple picks) but also the control of the jazz III's so I used a lighter to melt two jazz III blacks together. Works great for me. I don't play bass but if you need more heft in the pick for more momentum in your picking, this really helped, as long as you don't mind the thickness.
GMO INC.
I love these picks. I also can't play as well with other picks so i only use this one now.
i like them, but they can be too small for me. i just ordered some Jazz III XL's and some Big Stubbies to see if they work for me.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Dunlop Black 1mm.
They've got a strange looking pattern/grip bit on one side though.

I've only ever seen them for sale in once place though.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I've used them for so long now, that when I go to use a normal shaped pick, I can't do half the stuff I can with the Jazz III. For my playing style, they are the best for me.
Quote by sashki
judging by these 'ranks', I guess you were looking at Gibson guitars.

In that case, it goes (worst --> best)
special --> studio --> standard --> custom

When Gibson calls something "special", it's special in the way a retarded kid is.
I switched to Jazz IIIs about a year ago (I buy both black and red), now I find using just about anything else uncomfortable.

I also use a 2mm big stubby (purple), great pick but produces some excess string noise sometimes.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Anthony1991
I cant see anything wrong in them, i prefer dunlop 73. tortex yellow thats all o.o

Same here. What I use 99% of the time. Although I got this yellow Ultex pick in a pack of Dunlop strings that is pretty comfortable, so I may get some of those too.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
jazz iii xl's are amazing.... much easier to play cleanly
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
they don't really roll off the string like I like picks to do

I use the rhino ultex .73's
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by guitarsftw
i like them, but they can be too small for me. i just ordered some Jazz III XL's and some Big Stubbies to see if they work for me.

Tell me how the XL's are because my main complaint with Jazz's are that they're too small for me.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i use the jazz III ultex, only a bit bigger that the normal jazz III, and doesnt slip wen u get sweaty hands
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by BladeSlinger
Tell me how the XL's are because my main complaint with Jazz's are that they're too small for me.

will do. i bought some picks that are similar to the XL's but made by Cool Picks. They were great when it came to shape and size, but they were too soft and bent, even though they came in 1mm, 1.25mm, and 1.5mm
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by soloXshredder
i use the jazz III ultex, only a bit bigger that the normal jazz III, and doesnt slip wen u get sweaty hands

that's the one problem I've had, I my hands get all sweaty after an hour or so and my picks start flying, I was considering getting some Gorilla Snot or the like but I may have to try the Ultex out
^i play for hours a day and it never falls, i guess its the material its made of or somethin
id never go near the gorilla snot, no matter how many picks fell out of my hands, that stuff makes me sick for some reason
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
^i play for hours a day and it never falls, i guess its the material its made of or somethin
id never go near the gorilla snot, no matter how many picks fell out of my hands, that stuff makes me sick for some reason

it makes you SICK O_o that's not good
I'm going to Gorilla Snot as a last resort in my quest for sticky hands, the last thing I need is to be in the middle of a song with my band and go @#$% MY PICK!
i used em a long time but im using ultex sharp .90 mm now, desighned by james hetfield
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Jul 30, 2009,
i used to use them, but now i cant stand to

they are the most tonally absent pick ever, imo, and ever since i started using dunlop tortex 1.14 i havent looked back
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I was using the red ones religiously....then I picked up a black one and oh man...so much more control than the red's.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
is there actually a difference between the red and the black ones? I thought it was purely aesthetic
I use it if I'm playing exercises and more technical stuff )such as Eric Johnson and other virtuoso players) but If I'm just playing along to Metallica or The Foo Fighters (more rhythm oriented stuff really) I'll stick with my Dunlop Tortexes, which are usually the green ones (0.88) or if I can't find any green ones, there's a handful of blue and purple ones I have on hand (1.00 and 1.12 respectively)
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I prefer the glossy 1mm teardrop picks with an indent for grip. there is another dunlop one with an angled pick end this is amazing. another one has a nice grippy material on the body and an aluminium pick end which is great for cut esp with a les paul if you want tele tones/
Never really liked em. I'm a Tortex/Tortex Points player to the end (blue/green).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by mooncow67
is there actually a difference between the red and the black ones? I thought it was purely aesthetic

The black ones are plastic vs the red ones being nylon (is my understanding) and the black ones are stiffer and harder beacause of that. I just LOVE the way the black ones are for really fast rhythm playing.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
jazz III's own
yes i use them
lost all of them though -_-
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I've been using them for over a decade now....I won't use anything else.

but I don't use the glossy black ones..those get to slippery. There is another on they make that is like the tortex pick material. Those are the good ones, don't slip or anything.

I also shave them down at the tip to make the pick just a little more pointy and less rounded.
I thought I'd give these a go...I've been using them for...erm...2 hours now, and already a "normal" plectrum feels huge when I pick one up!

I definitely agree that the pointyness gives a lot more control. I can see these quickly becoming my new favourite picks!
I use jazz III ultex, and i love 'em!! I suck with larger picks now though..
Quote by Kanthras
Awww, that tiny wittle head looks adorable on that cab..

*Krank amp turns on*

AAAAAUUGHHH TEH CRUSHING OVERDRIVE aSDJKANHFUILGN
I use three types of picks.

.60mm Dunlop Tortex Orange Picks.
.73mm Dunlop Tortex Yellow Picks.
and of course my Jazz III's. They all have their purpose.

Jazz III's are really good for shredding. I do pinch harmonics pretty easily with them as well. They are just at times hard to hold, and also for me, very hard to pick at incredibly fast speeds with.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Page 1 of 2