Despite the fact I told him several times I do not want a Spider III, he kept trying to get me to buy it. Are they just purposely being dicks or something? If they're gonna sell something in a price range they might as well sell something good?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
They probably have a pretty large amount of them that they need to get rid of.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Your answer is in the title of your post...

because they are Salesmen....

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
they usually get commision and i guess its an easy sell and probably with a high commission.
more new guitarists come into to buy amps then more experienced ones who know better.

Edit: ^ he means why the spyder specifically.
Because outside of UG the Spider is actually a pretty popular amp, especially for beginners. I see them being sold all the time.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
On top of the commission, the IIIs suck, and line 6 tends to use that like marshall uses MG models. Its just whatever attracts most nub guitarrists.
its a great amp for its price though. Most people can't afford to buy expensive t00b amps and Spider IIIs (above 75watt) are really good for the price, along with PEavey Vypyrs.
IMO Vox Valvetronix just doesn't have enough good gain to get a decent metal tone out of it
I'll tell a sales guy straight up if he keeps talking i'm not buying anything if he keeps saying things i don't like. It's your money not his. If he can't help you he needs to get the hell away from you.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
because if they sell more units it gives them greater buying power which means they can buy them in cheaper and thus make more profit, the easiest way to get around your issue is by telling them straight that if they even remotely recommend a line sh*ttz amp you`ll take your business elsewhere. when i`m buying stuff i take my guitar with me and tell them what amp i`ve got and i`m only playing through that amp so that`s the 1 i`m plugging into.

don`t let sales peeps push you around it`s your money they`re after, they don`t give a crap about your playing. and if your not happy walk out the door, i`ve done that several times.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 30, 2009,
They have a high profit margin.
Also, good amps sell themselves.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
for an absolute beginner they have a decent sound and are pretty cheap. Absolutely ridiculous that they do them in gig worthy sizes though
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by guitarsftw
They probably have a pretty large amount of them that they need to get rid of.

This.

My guess, is that when the amp was released it was made into this huge hype, *because of it being mass produced or something stupid*

So Guitar Center bought a boat load of them, and the amps didn't sell as fast as they were expected to. So now they are trying to get rid of them.

Just my guess.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Because retailers buy in bulk whatever has a combination of expensive enough to line their pockets but cheap enough to sell to those who aren't aware of the quality. The salespeople are ten told to sell as many as they can. Personally I don't get why they don't suggest more expensive products also bought in bulk due to name and popularity *CoughJCMCoughcough* that are actually good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Because Line 6 has the advertising ploy that will attract any "H-core" kid that wants a cheap metal tone with cheesy effects.

I have a Spider III 75 and I liked it for a while but then it just got to the point where I matured and it sounded like fake digital ****.

And yea, I get this problem ALL THE TIME! Everytime I go to guitar center to try out amps and I ask if they have any good amps for metal,they bring me to that bigass rack of Line 6's!

But yea, it's just because of the marketing ploy that appeals to guitarists that just don't know better. I was there once, but now I know and I'm so proud of my self!

Just get another salesman if the current keeps pushing stuff on you, nothing worse than a pesky salesman pushing items you don't want/need.
Wow the guitar centers you guys go to suck ass. I've been to a few and I've never even been pulled to a section of Line 6. Hell, I had to go find someone just to get the guitar down that I wanted to try.

The trick is not to ask them if they have amps good for metal. Research it yourself geez.
Quote by STABxYOU
They have a high profit margin.
Also, good amps sell themselves.

This, a higher profit margin causes the company to want to push it as much as possible. The more they sell the better it is for them.
Quote by turtlewax
for an absolute beginner they have a decent sound and are pretty cheap. Absolutely ridiculous that they do them in gig worthy sizes though

Yeah i think the 15 watt and maybe the 30 are practical. They are what they are, Inexpensive bedroom practice amps that do ok for the price. Anything bigger than a 30 is pointless.
Because they know you'll be back to buy something better? 2 sales is better than 1.
they push for them to be sold, my friend works at one around where i live and he said that they all know damn well they suck. Say when a kid first learning guitar goes in with his parents... they use alot of situational selling and whatnot
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Nobody wants them, so the salesmen push them on people who they consider as newbies, so that they come back some weeks later to buy a better amp and so they make more money than by suggesting you to buy and actually good amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
haha, i was at best buy yesterday and this dude was just getting into guitar and the first thing the sales rep showed him was a line 6 30 watt. the main reason that they push the spider is that is designed for ppl who have no idea what they are doing. the spiders are decent amps for ppl with 0 experiance. that guy got his first guitar 2 days ago, he isnt gonna be gigging anytime soon. those little 15 and 30 watts are not bad for a little bit of bedroom practice. sure if he joins some band sometime soon hes gonna have to ditch that amp and get a better one immediatley, but he has a long way to go before any band would even be intrested in him. salesmen show you that amp first because they assume that you are just another regular guy with very little skill. if you want to make them realize that you need something better than a spider play a couple sweep arpeggios and show them that you mean business and he will most likely take you to the nice gig worthy amps that dont totally suck a**.
Quote by Aditya_ram
its a great amp for its price though. Most people can't afford to buy expensive t00b amps and Spider IIIs (above 75watt) are really good for the price, along with PEavey Vypyrs.
IMO Vox Valvetronix just doesn't have enough good gain to get a decent metal tone out of it

I was able to get metal tones on the VT with a bit of tweaking .. not the best amp for the genre, but it's possible ... and some guy came to buy a guitar off of me a bit ago and brought his spider III amp to test ... my ears bled...
From talking to some employees at a nationwide chain, they have to meet a quota. This includes a total sales quota (gear worth x amount of money) and also a quota for certain companies (x number of fender products). Every salesman at this chain is not an asshole trying to take advantage of the bright-eyed, bushy-tailed youngster, but they sell or get fired. It's a lot easier to sell a beginner's amp to a beginner, not to mention I've run into loads of people who are perfectly happy with their spider/mg/frontman/etc. they just don't take what they read on these forums as absolute truth
They try to push as many cheap amps as possible for commission.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Aditya_ram

After you played a Vypyr, the Spiders sound so fake...
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
From talking to some employees at a nationwide chain, they have to meet a quota. This includes a total sales quota (gear worth x amount of money) and also a quota for certain companies (x number of fender products). Every salesman at this chain is not an asshole trying to take advantage of the bright-eyed, bushy-tailed youngster, but they sell or get fired. It's a lot easier to sell a beginner's amp to a beginner, not to mention I've run into loads of people who are perfectly happy with their spider/mg/frontman/etc. they just don't take what they read on these forums as absolute truth

i think this.
cos they can get commision from every piece of gear sold
Quote by black_box
Because they know you'll be back to buy something better? 2 sales is better than 1.

And on the other hand, im sure alot of them get returned.
Quote by turtlewax

The halfstacks are actually pretty decent...Nowhere near as tone-filled as other halfstacks, but for the price a spider III halfstack works well.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
For a beginner, its a fine amp. Then again, they could get a vypyr instead. I don't have GC in canada, however there is a local store that only sells spiders, that pisses me off.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ