Besides the price, what is the difference between Standard and American Standard Strats? And woud an HSS(or Fat Strat) be a good choice? That's what I'm thinking about because I like to play a little bit of everything.
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
The HSS will give you more versatility.

Very little difference between US made and Mexican made.
Some say they can tell the difference because of where the Wood came from - I call Hogwash!!

I think though, there may be a difference in the electronics hardware. Pots, Wiring etc...

MIM probably not as good quality control..

But is it worth that much $$ for that difference??
Up to you.

I've had my MIM strat for 7 years, no real problems with it at all.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
The HSS will give you more versatility.

Very little difference between US made and Mexican made.
Some say they can tell the difference because of where the Wood came from - I call Hogwash!!

I think though, there may be a difference in the electronics hardware. Pots, Wiring etc...

MIM probably not as good quality control..

But is it worth that much $$ for that difference??
Up to you.

I've had my MIM strat for 7 years, no real problems with it at all.

You speak the truth.
I could feel the difference between my American and a Mexi.....I considered both. The neck is smoother and plays nicer on an American (the rolled fingerboard edges just feel better to me). The electronics of course are better, an American is darn near dead silent (mine is at least). To me the money difference was well worth it, I would have gladly paid over $2k for my American because it is truly a flawless guitar. To each his own.
I love my MIM, it's kicked the ass of quite a few American strats. At the same time though more often than not the American guitars have been better. They're the same model from the same brand in a higher-end series though, it's to be expected. If you've got the cash then go for the American I'd say, but if you're hesitant of dropping $1,100, the MIM's are excellent guitars for $600 less, but be warned they're a gateway drug in the sense that in a year or so you'll be GASing for an Am. Std.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Thanks for all the input... As of right now I think the MIM HSS is the way to go because of the money.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Well, about the neck discussion:
The necks on the MIA Strats have been different, and lately, they've been alot better then the MIM ones. They might of changed them, because I tried two of the exact same MIA Standards with the same colors and everything and one neck was so much better then the other.
Quote by thrasher.
Well, about the neck discussion:
The necks on the MIA Strats have been different, and lately, they've been alot better then the MIM ones. They might of changed them, because I tried two of the exact same MIA Standards with the same colors and everything and one neck was so much better then the other.

There's always going to be things like that.
Not just with fender strats, any guitar brand/model.

EVERY guitar is different. Even 2 identicle guitars from the same factory.
Subtle little things make the biggest difference.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Yeah, but one of them had an oiled fretboard, and the other didn't.

i guess it goes to say you just have to play before you buy because you never really know exactly what your getting.
I bought a American made Hwy One fat strat last year.... Biggest mistake i've ever made. It sucked a big one. Wouldn't stay in tune at all and I sold it. Now i have a gibson flying V and like it alot better.
The Highway One is different that then Standard though isn't it?
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
I would go for a nice american strat any day before I went MIM. I just like the craftsmanship that much better.

I have played quite a few good MIM's though so It really depends on how much you want to drop on a strat. You should be happy either way.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Well yeah I would rather have the American, my friend has one and it's sweet, but its a little above my budget.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
So I went and played both of them and couldn't really tell a difference, but that's just me. I did like the HSS though, because the humbucker sounds way better on distortion than the single coil.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
i have an mim hss strat and i love it too. its funny because im always debating getting anther guitar, but each time i change my mind because it does everything so well .

the only thing that annoys me is the trem because i never use it and feel it gets in the way. if only fender would remake the hardtail strat again...or make a tele with a bridge humbucker haha
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
If you're born in Mexico, is an MIM Strat better than an American Strat?
Obviously Fassa.
try them both out. I like my MIM strat better than any american strat ive played.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
American Strats are made form an duse far higher quality parts than the MIM Standards. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on the whole "can the Mexican plant put a guitar together worth a damn" debate, the simple fact is the American guitars are made with better parts, all-over. That's what you're paying the extra money for.

However, they're not worth it. Not because they're not much betetr than the MIM Strats - actually, they blow the MIM's out the water - but because the American Deluxe Strat usually only costs about £100 or so more than the Standard, and the Deluxe comes with so many improvments right down to the basic wood quality that they're really quite insane charging only an extra £100 for it when quite honestly they could increase the price by £300 and it'd still be worth it.

Then there's the Deluxe and Classic Player series guitars; Mexican-made guitars but using higher quality parts than the normal Mexicans, and each model has it's own special feature or two.

So the choice isn't MIM Standard vs American Standard, it's MIM Standard vs MIm Deluxe/Classic Player vs American Deluxe.

If you have the money for it and you know you're a Strat fan, go for the Am Deluxe Strat.
If your budget is tighter but you know Strats are definitely what you want, drop down to a MIM Deluxe or Classic Player Strat, depending on which model has the features best for your style of play.
If your budget is tight and you're not too sure if Strats are going to really be your thing anyway, get a MIM Standard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MIM owners will tell you there's very little difference - MIA owners will say they're well worth the extra cash. Just go with your hands and ears. Used deals can be easily found too as these guitars aren't exactly rare.

I personally think a MIA standard is pretty good value (or was before price increases) for an American made instrument that will last most players a long time. Also note MIA keep a larger portion of their value when resold if you're the type that likes to chop and change.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
American Strats are made form an duse far higher quality parts than the MIM Standards. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on the whole "can the Mexican plant put a guitar together worth a damn" debate, the simple fact is the American guitars are made with better parts, all-over. That's what you're paying the extra money for.

However, they're not worth it. Not because they're not much betetr than the MIM Strats - actually, they blow the MIM's out the water - but because the American Deluxe Strat usually only costs about £100 or so more than the Standard, and the Deluxe comes with so many improvments right down to the basic wood quality that they're really quite insane charging only an extra £100 for it when quite honestly they could increase the price by £300 and it'd still be worth it.

Then there's the Deluxe and Classic Player series guitars; Mexican-made guitars but using higher quality parts than the normal Mexicans, and each model has it's own special feature or two.

So the choice isn't MIM Standard vs American Standard, it's MIM Standard vs MIm Deluxe/Classic Player vs American Deluxe.

If you have the money for it and you know you're a Strat fan, go for the Am Deluxe Strat.
If your budget is tighter but you know Strats are definitely what you want, drop down to a MIM Deluxe or Classic Player Strat, depending on which model has the features best for your style of play.
If your budget is tight and you're not too sure if Strats are going to really be your thing anyway, get a MIM Standard.

To be fair, those come with Fender's Samarium Cobalt Noiseless single-coils, which it's a general consensus don't quite sound true to vintage pickups. Though a quick switch to some Lace Sensors can fix that and is likely worth it for the wood and S-1 switching.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
To be fair, those come with Fender's Samarium Cobalt Noiseless single-coils, which it's a general consensus don't quite sound true to vintage pickups. Though a quick switch to some Lace Sensors can fix that and is likely worth it for the wood and S-1 switching.
I generally don't worry too much about any stock pickups. Pickups are such a common thing to change, it's rare I come across any guitar where I'd keep the stock pickups, even if they're decent brand ones. It's not like the Standards have particularly good pickups either.

But yeah the SCN's suck, even worse than the Fender Vintage Noiseless. I don't know why Fender bother.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm with MrFlibble, it's about the parts and materials basically.

But buy the guitar that feels and sounds best to you, regardless of what is on the headstock.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by willdarby
Besides the price, what is the difference between Standard and American Standard Strats? And woud an HSS(or Fat Strat) be a good choice? That's what I'm thinking about because I like to play a little bit of everything.

If you want to know the differences between the MIA and MIM standard, well just google, read some reviews, compare specs. There's no reason why we should do it for you...

Why Standard? If you have the money for an American Standard, but are ok with buying a Mexican made Fender, then why don't you but one of the more expensive Mexican models? I'm talking about the Deluxe Series, the Classic Player Series, etc.
According to reviews, they are better equiped than the American Standard Strats, and are less expensive.

Oh, before you make your final decision, you might want to read through this strat guide. It's very complete, and no bull****.
Plays on a Fender Classic Player 60 Strat through a Roland Cube 60