Page 1 of 2
I apologize in advance to the mods and forum users if this is an unacceptable thread, but I felt like sharing my story and seeing if others would share theirs as well.

I gave my buddy a guitar and amp yesterday (Greg Bennet Torino II w/EMG 81 85 pups and a peavey practice amp). What's weird is that it felt a lot better giving a guitar to somebody as opposed to receiving one.

So I'll take it back a bit...

Me and my buddy were friends at 15. He's the guy that pulled out the DEATH Live in L.A dvd and got me hooked. He's the guy that introduced me to the metal scene and fast-paced technical death metal. We kind of fell off on the friendship since everybody moves on and what not. He was my roomate for half a year and then moved out.I hadn't seen him for about 8-9 months so I figured I'd give him a call and see if he wanted to get plastered off a half-gallon of Sailor Jerry's rum on Saturday night. Sure enough we did and we got ****ed up. Cool stuff.

The next day I receive a call from him at about 4pm. We had high winds that day. He called me to tell me that his house caught on fire (electrical fire) and because of the wind, the flames engulfed his house and burnt it down in less than 5 minutes. Fortunately he was able to get himself and his family out of there, but the dog didn't make it. Not to mention his house burned down, but he also lost all of his guitars, tube amps, and gear... It was pretty ****ed up.

A couple of months later my other buddy finds a Yamaha CG101 classical guitar at a worksite in mint condition and gives it to me since he doesn't play. Being the CL addict that I am, I put it up for trade. I ended out trading the yamaha and $10 for a Greg Bennet (Samick) Torino II with EMG actives. Nice trade!

Yesterday I was looking at the guitar and realized that due to my super bitchin' Ibanez guitars, I'm never going to play this one. I couldn't justify having it and I hate seeing instruments left to sit around and collect dust. So I figure, hey why not give it to somebody that would actually put it to use.

So I give my buddy a call and see if he wants to hang out. Didn't want to tell him I got him a guitar so I said let's meet up and smoke a big fat dankie blunt. So we're chilling and I couldn't resist. I pull out the amp and the gigbag and say, here man ... you deserve this.

Possibly one of the best feelings I've ever felt when I saw his jaw drop. I handed him the guitar and he looked like a mother holding her newborn child for the first time . A musician knowing that he can finally start jamming again. An axeman finally not without an axe. It was ****ing epic....

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it feels just as good to give as it does to receive, if not better. I would have never thought in a million years that I would just give one of my guitars away, but this just felt right and I have no regrets.

You guys ever had the chance to give away some of your unused gear to a fellow musician and/or friend in need?
Nope. I'm giving my Randall RX120D/Marshall MG412 halfstack to my singer once I get a new amp.

And I sold a burnt out Fender Frontman 212 to a guy for $150.

I have no conscience
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I've given away a guitar and amp and stuff to my uncle and it felt really good to do something like that.

Anyways I needed the good karma after I sold my Marshall AVT to a friend for £150...

I bought it for £99

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I gave my first guitar and amp to my little brother when he first asked me to teach him how to play. He's getting pretty good.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
When I got my PRS and my Boogie, I gave away my Squier Strat, Epi G310 and Fender M80.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
When I got my PRS and my Boogie, I gave away my Squier Strat, Epi G310 and Fender M80.

That's nice. I refuse to give up my squier. First guitar sentimental value kind of thing....
Quote by CullenT
Nope. I'm giving my Randall RX120D/Marshall MG412 halfstack to my singer once I get a new amp.

And I sold a burnt out Fender Frontman 212 to a guy for $150.

I have no conscience

Ouch! I sold a somewhat functional one for $100. Really, it wasn't working and would cut in and out or buzz no matter which cables I used. So I put it up on CL. Some guy wanted it, I tested and it was fine. So I guess he got a working amp for $100. That or it **** out on him after 10 minutes of playing
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I gave my first guitar and amp to my little brother when he first asked me to teach him how to play. He's getting pretty good.

That's hella cool! Originally I was destined to play bass for some odd reason and my mom bought my older brother a washburn guitar. He neglected it and I picked it up and started learning metallica riffs. He saw me jammin and said it's all yours, I wanna play drums. And he grew up to be a damn good drummer as well.

I was going to give my schecter to my oldest brother, but I figured he woulda hocked it off for some pills or white stuff so I decided not to
i gave my English teacher my old tremolo pedal. he's a pedal junkie. he honestly would not play guitar if it wasn't for Delay. he used to have one of those Boss DM2 delays, but he lost it or it got stolen. he can't remember . so, i guess he (unwillingly) gave some guitar player an analog delay.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I sold my old squier to a guy on CL, when I met him he said he goes through them like crazy because he makes experimental music. Intrigued, I had to ask him to explain. He said he takes dremel tools and saws into the strings, body, pickups, whatever to see what kinds of noises it makes...

Whatever floats your boat, y'know?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i gave my Starcaster to my Lil Bro
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I had a the following things stolen from my (then) band's practice space about 2 years ago:
PRS Custom 24 w/ Birds
Fender Deluxe Ash Tele
Fender American Standard strat w/ BKP Irish Tours
Fender Eric Clapton Sig strat

Orange 212
Mesa Boogie Mark III purple stripe

I'm just going to pretend that I gave them away
Last edited by colin617 at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by colin617
I had a the following things stolen from my (then) band's practice space about 2 years ago:
PRS Custom 24 w/ Birds
Fender Deluxe Ash Tele

Orange 212

damn dude.....
are those all yours?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
damn dude.....
are those all yours?

Yeah. I had owned that Clapton strat since I was 12.
Quote by colin617

damn....they cost like 2000 USD right?

who stole them?
one of your band members?
feel free to add me
Alf, he hasn't gone homicidal over it after all these years. Don't push it now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i might make you cry with all the equipment i have given away, about 3 guitars, 2 practice amps, a few pedals, couple of mics. i have also hooked up friends with very good deals on my equipment, like a sold my buddy a schecter diamond series with a practice amp, cord, strap, etc for 200 bucks.

i coolest thing i have given away though is a pair of '68 Leslie Model 60 stereo vibrato cabs. very rare. but i more or less gave them away cuz it's my sis, she needs a cool amp anyway, and i am more concerned with taking care of it than playing with it. and she will take care of it better than me. i just have too much crap now.

it's good to know this sentiment is alive if not doing well. i have given away 3 guitars to people who saw me play and wanted to try themselves... here ya go. to TS, this is a great thing to do and may inspire someone to be a good guitarist who may have never realized the chance,
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by tubetime86
I sold my old squier to a guy on CL, when I met him he said he goes through them like crazy because he makes experimental music. Intrigued, I had to ask him to explain. He said he takes dremel tools and saws into the strings, body, pickups, whatever to see what kinds of noises it makes...

Whatever floats your boat, y'know?

WTF!!??!

Quote by colin617
PRS Custom 24 w/ Birds
Fender Deluxe Ash Tele

Orange 212

I'm just going to pretend that I gave them away

Damn bro, that wasn't even my stuff and I still want to cry. I'm sorry man. That's gotta suck big time.

Quote by gumbilicious
i might make you cry with all the equipment i have given away, about 3 guitars, 2 practice amps, a few pedals, couple of mics. i have also hooked up friends with very good deals on my equipment, like a sold my buddy a schecter diamond series with a practice amp, cord, strap, etc for 200 bucks.

i coolest thing i have given away though is a pair of '68 Leslie Model 60 stereo vibrato cabs. very rare. but i more or less gave them away cuz it's my sis, she needs a cool amp anyway, and i am more concerned with taking care of it than playing with it. and she will take care of it better than me. i just have too much crap now.

it's good to know this sentiment is alive if not doing well. i have given away 3 guitars to people who saw me play and wanted to try themselves... here ya go. to TS, this is a great thing to do and may inspire someone to be a good guitarist who may have never realized the chance,

That's awesome man. Very generous of you. I've hooked up randoms with pretty good deals. This guy was hurtin for something to record on so I sold him my Tascam 4 track tape recorder with a mic and blank tapes for $20.

True that to the bolded part. You're a good person man. Giving somebody the opportunity to have a guitar and express themselves musically is what it's all about. And a lot of people would never realize how much they would like playing guitar if never given the chance. Looks like you changed 3 peoples minds!

I'm glad to see so many UG'ers giving up some of their gear to help others get started. Good stuff.
I sold my First Act ME505 in a garagesale for $25 bucks.
That's pretty much it though... Once I get my Little Giant, I'll probably sell my Spider and FBV Express, considering I'll probably never play it again
Quote by MetalHead916
That's awesome man. Very generous of you. I've hooked up randoms with pretty good deals. This guy was hurtin for something to record on so I sold him my Tascam 4 track tape recorder with a mic and blank tapes for $20.

lol, flashback, i gave a tascam port a02 away a long time ago too. i guess i just give away my trim. this is a facet or guitar playing that is under represented in threads and topics, but i have known a couple of people who do nothing but make do with hand-me-down equipment.

lets make an UG that's for the people!

-ae
Threw away two beat up vintage guitars once.. Researched them for months and couldnt find anything so I bit the bullet and chunked them due to the umcoming move and space issues. Its been haunting me ever since that they could be worth thousands.. But finally figured out there only worth $100 tops.. Thank god..
My little cousin got my Squire and frontman, my brother got my cube 30x.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
damn....they cost like 2000 USD right?

who stole them?
one of your band members?

We're thinking that they were stolen by someone who was struggling and needed money for drugs/booze/mortgage/whatever. The Orange cabinet and Mark III were found and returned last year; the guy that had them said he bought them from someone who obviously had no idea what they were/what he had. He offered me blue book price for them and I let him keep the amp and cab.
I gave away an Encore LP electric guitar. I'm damn glad too.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Cort G210 (fat strat)
Vox AD15
Boss chorus
digitech clapton
russian muff
Lots of cables and tubes & free amp servicing

Some other stuff I don't remember
I gave my Epiphone Valve Jr and home made speaker cab to my Brother in Law.
After I got my Peavey Classic30.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
If I get good at building guitars I'm gonna custom make one for each of my close friends. Even the non-guitar playing ones (I'll just stick cheap GuitarFetish parts in those). But hey, I've got three close friends and only one of them doesn't play, so it just makes sense.
Quote by Alex Vik
If I get good at building guitars I'm gonna custom make one for each of my close friends. Even the non-guitar playing ones (I'll just stick cheap GuitarFetish parts in those). But hey, I've got three close friends and only one of them doesn't play, so it just makes sense.

Ya know, I've always thought about this too. If I ever learn how to build guitars, I wouldn't mind making some customs for my friends and family. ****, even if they don't use it I would hope it's pretty enough to decorate the house with!

Good idea!
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 30, 2009,
some picks. Better than nothing!
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Quote by Alex Vik

i like where you're coming from

-ae
I gave a strap a friend. And a cable. A couple of pick of destiny picks. I gave a broken ds-1 to this kid at my school. Tuner to my bassist cause he lost his. Strings to random people, im nicer than i thought.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Quote by colin617

I would have gone on a ****ing rampage. I would burn down the city building by building until I found all that gear. How did you not kill something? ... Or did you?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

i'm always giving old cables and gear to a buddy of mine who doesn't have the money to buy alot of stuff. for example, when i bought my line 6 dl4, i gave my old ibanez delay pedal to him. i also gave him my boss 0S2 when i got my tubescreamer. funny thing is, i always regret giving things away, because as soon as i do, i find myself in a situation where i would like to have it back. oh well.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
I was going to give my MG to a guitar playing kid I know but his sister told me not to because his mother would get mad (or something like that)

I don't know too many guitar players to give gear to, actually.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Page 1 of 2