After finally saving up to buy me a new guitar I walk into the shop to try out the JS1000 & JEM7V. Totally in love with the JEM's feel & sound, not so much with the JS1000(no it wasn't the 100). The JS1000 feels & sounds no different than my existing RG470. I also tried the RG3570Z & boy that feels like way better than the JS1000. Agreed I'm no pro but I expected the JS1000 to be like the best guitar ever, Satch is my God u know & I was a bit disappointed.

Well anyways, I came home with a feeling that the JS & the JEM could be a bit overrated & I could possibly get a better guitar for my money if I asked the pro's. So here are my questions

1. What guitar could come close in terms of sound to the JEM7V
2. What are your opinions on getting a used guitar, funds $15000, can possibly stretch(down goes the 2 bro's pipe ). I'm no DIY'er when it comes to the guitar though
3. My RG470 is basswood(I think) & after trying the JEM I wouldn't mind the more treble'ly sound of alder. What other models would you suggest for me to try. Open to any brand.

I generally like to play heavy metal & good ol 70's rock. Learning my theory & very inclined to write compositions like Satch, Vai, Tool & Dream Theater. Current gear - RG 470(MIJ, 1999, Lo TRS, stock pup's, cracked neck fixed by luthier), RG250DFX(plz don't frown), Dunlop DB01 Cry baby & a Boss MT-2.

On a side note, do you know how much a luthier will charge me to fix my RG470
* swap a Lo TRS to an OFR(or other quality trem that may fit)
* change stock pups to better ones
* redo the wiring, lot of static on the jacks & knobs
* Change the fretboard to comparable standards

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback!
Learn your Guitar Notes, Scales & Modes
Hindi Music Chords
To swap the To TRS for an OFR could be anywhere from 25%-100% of the cost of the OFR. Depending on the Tech. Some may do it for free even but other might charge a small bit.

To change the pickups, I've seen guys charge anywhere from 20-50 usd for it. Its really something that you could do yourself with no problems

For an electronics overhaul/rewiring i've seen anywhere from 30-100 bucks from some techs. Its something you can do really easily.

The change the fretboard might be a little tough. in the end getting a new used Wizard neck might be cheaper. Not sure of the cost though

But if you your not a diyer expect to spend some money fixing that it with a tech

The Jem is a nice guitar but horribly priced now a days. If you can find one used in good condition then its a nice buy. Another model thats nice is the PGM301. Fixed bridge but plays like butter and my favorite Ibanez to date. You could try the other prestige RG's and some prestige S's to see how you like them. IF you have the funds and the luxuary of trying out a J custom go ahead. They are unlike any other rg's or s's.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I just got a prestige rg 2550z on monday, look on ebay, there are definately deals to be had.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Try a Jackson SL1 Soloist. It might float your boat.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
the jem7v has a unique neck pickup in that it`s reversed(upside down) i cant believe that you feel that the other guitars feel better than the JS, both my jem and js feel superior to the others you mentioned.

each to there own i guess

the bridge swap might require additional routing but you could try a edge pro or a original edge.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 30, 2009,
^ nah, you'd have more chance of having to do routing if you go with an edge. going with an OFR or schaller or gotoh is likely to involve less routing, certainly in the case of the OFR, and probably in the case of the gotoh. Not too sure about the schaller.

the only real problem with the rg470 trem swap is that the studs are smaller than the OFR ones. other than that it should more or less be a direct swap.

others to look into would be musicman, vigier, suhr, tyler, tom anderson, esp, jackson, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the jem7v has a unique neck pickup in that it`s reversed(upside down) i cant believe that you feel that the other guitars feel better than the JS, both my jem and js feel superior to the others you mentioned.

each to there own i guess

the bridge swap might require additional routing but you could try a edge pro or a original edge.

"I have a JEM and a JS1200"......I hate you!!!!
Quote by Voodoo Star
2. What are your opinions on getting a used guitar, funds $15000, can possibly stretch(down goes the 2 bro's pipe ). I'm no DIY'er when it comes to the guitar though

$15,000? And you want to go used?

For $1500 you can easily go new. Used guitars will sound better some people say since the wood has aged more and the neck will feel smoother from play. Its all up to you. Just go to music stores and play as many guitars as you can.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
for £15000 you could get my collection brand new(and still have some loose change).....see sig
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Metalfan41
$15,000? And you want to go used?

lol, I wish
Learn your Guitar Notes, Scales & Modes
Hindi Music Chords