hey UG

im looking for an attenuator as the title suggests, but on musicians friend, there are ones that go from 0-100, or 300-ish and up

so i was wondering if there were any good attenuators that wont break the bank

thx
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Weber attenuators are pretty cheap and work fairly well.

What kind of amp are you looking to attenuate.
b-52 at 112, gettin it in september wen i go to the states, its 60w all tube, so i wanna get some good tube sound without bringing the house down :P hence the attenuator
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Get the Weber Mass Lite at 100watts.

BTW, solo, your not going to be able to bring the b-52 on the plane, your going to have to ship it back.
I've played on a Weber (I think it was a mass lite), and IMO it altered the tone way more than a THD hotplate did. I am saving for a hotplate myself right now. The thing I hate about hotplates is you pay $300 for just a 16 ohm, which means if I ever get an 8 ohm cab/amp (like a Mesa Mark V), I will need another one. Overall though, hotplates are amazing. You can crank the F out of your amp and quiet it down without altering the tone.

Read some of the reviews on harmony-central to get an idea for which ones people like and dislike.
this is a questions for the people who know about attenuator in this thread.
if i lower the volume output of say a eq in my amps fx loop, doesnt that act as a attenuator?
or is there a difference in what is being done to the sound..
i run my volume -14db out of my bbe maxcom and hence have to turn the amp a whole lot more to get back to desired level. is this the same thing a attenuator does?

its a tube amp so doesnt that make the power tubes kick in at higher volumes then using my method of fx loop?
Last edited by surface54 at Jul 30, 2009,
no an attenuator does not work like that, what you're essentially doing is creating a pseudo master volume.
I personally would not spend several hundreds for an attenuator for a B-52.

Also, over attenuating sounds bad, regardless of the attenuator being used (except for the UA, which is a reamping rig).
Yeah I would recommend the Weber too. I find it much better than the Hotplate and it sucks tone when you attenuate it a lot, but they all do... That's why I prefer a Powerscale!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009